74 jim dandy mowing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 09:44 AM

after a longtime restoring this little tractor i finaly got to put it to work. did some mowing for first time yesterday. think it mowes a little to low. think it scalped in center and plows a little on uneven hilly ground. i got the deck to drive in highest holes. im sure it would  have woked fine on the powerking models with the front wheels being taller. thinking of drilling new holes in drive up higher to raise front of mower higher. once i get this fine tuned this think should out do my old john deere 210. bill

• Bolens 1000, propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,894 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Any pictures?

• Auburn David said thank you

#3 Austen OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33768
  • 775 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Now that's got to be a great feeling!  :thumbs:  I agree, some pics would be wonderful!

• Auburn David said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,120 Thanks
  • 5,673 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 01:16 PM

:camera: :camera: :camera:

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 02:12 PM

Not remembering what you might have posted before, But the 60" decks are kinda scalpers, I prefer the 48. They did put them on JD's a lot, seemed too big.  JD's should have the smaller front wheels. ON rear of deck is the hangers for the rollers, and they adjust much of the cut height.  Having good rollers with holes not wallowed out is better for adjustment too. Many are worn out. Even the holes in the hangers for the roller rod can get wallowed out and be floppy.  The two front straps or flat stock that mount deck usually have a few diff holes to bolt up at diff lengths on the reg PK, not sure on JD, but must have something close. Have you shortened them?  When these decks are raised, many times just the rear is moving up the most, the front hangs lower, hard to get level. Later years had a self-leveling mount set-up on the reg PK, not sure if ever got to the JD's?  Called Parrelel Hitch if I recall. It lifted more evenly then. I've never had a JD, so not so knowledgeable on those, but maybe others have had to work on same problem. 

Just a note:  It seems kinda hard to get used to the left discharge on these and going around things correct way, don't you agree?

#6 bill3t OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 04:56 PM

ok tomarrow i will take some pics and put on here. the left hand discharge dose  seem odd after mowing with the john deere with right side shute for many years. bill

• jpackard56 said thank you