Case replacement steering wheel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 01:56 PM

I am sure this has been discussed before, but, has anyone found a good replacement wheel for the 5/8s straight keyed shaft wheel?  I hate to try and find an original that may be close to breaking.  Also, mine broke the center nut from the wheel casting out and after looking at it for a while, the die grinder seems to be the trick.  Smallest cutting wheel I could find, cutting from opposite sides, and 5 minutes later, off it came.  The only problem I found was to remember their is a woodruff key in there and stay away from it when cutting.  If you dont have the plastic column cover and the wheel is off the nut, it would be even easier.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,521 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Yep, real PIA to remove Case wheels, too much plastic and no metal to really pull on. And as noted a smaller size shaft. I have had to ruin or least damage more the wheels on one's I've messed with. Sometimes you find one at shows, not sure how they got off, but then the center cap is sometimes gone, so not perfect.

• TimW said thank you

#3 ssmewing OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53022
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 03:52 PM

Search for Gary's in Hope MI. He sells them and a few other Case items. Mainly though he is an onan repair shop.
  • TimW said thank you

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Also check with site sponsors.

• TimW and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I got a nice wheel from Joe's last year for my Case 222. It was in very nice condition. Good Luck, Rick
  • TimW said thank you

#6 newcaseowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 74336
  • 22 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:00 AM

why not make an adapter that fits the shaft and large enough in diameter so it can be drilled and tapped for a automotive type steering wheel?? 

then you would be able to change the steering wheel at any time without having to remove the adapter to put on a different wheel

Edited by newcaseowner, June 18, 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#7 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8169
  • 441 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 11:09 AM

The Case/Ingersoll sites have instructions on steering wheel removal. Involves a bearing splitter, gear puller, penetrating fluid and patience.