• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:48 AM

I recently bought a john deere 300, it has a rather stout feeling to it. I am also too cheap to spend $30,000 (canadian, dollar is a joke. So really 3 or 4 hundred dollars) on a sleeve hitch. Plus the tow behind stuff is wider by far and in turn gets the job done faster.

Northern tool has a 4 foot wide 7 shank cultivator and a 33" wide offset disk.

I would think if I weighted it proper (50 pound weights both sides) and had either chains or ag tires on it, the cultivator shouldn't be an issue.

What's your opinion on the cultivator?

The disk should be no problem as I've seen some pretty small wheel horse pull them at a decent speed.

Your opinions on the disk?

Thanks!

Edited by Greasy6020, April 28, 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 10:03 AM

You do mean tow behind right?

• bbuckler and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 11:11 AM

No tie behind. I it is for tractors with no  hitch.

• bbuckler, Auburn David and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 11:48 AM

No tie behind. I it is for tractors with no  hitch.

Learned something I guess..never heard of it.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#5 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 12:25 PM

i mean towed behind with a drawbar, no sleeve hitch...

i should have been clearer, tow behind in my opinion is with the drawbar, not sleeve hitch... then again my ideas are often very different from "normal"

edit: i see my brainfart... fixed it, improper spelling drives me off the deep end...

Edited by Greasy6020, April 28, 2016 - 12:45 PM.

• MH81 and Auburn David have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 12:49 PM

I think you'll have enough power, just... It'll be the traction and other variables that may crop up.
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#7 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I think you'll have enough power, just... It'll be the traction and other variables that may crop up.

what kind of other variables?

ground is a sandy clay, dries out kinda slowly...

currently have 23 10.50 12 turfs, can try to find ag tires or chains...

the shovels on the cultivator are about 2'' wide

the shanks are the S tines, fairly flexible and springy

thanks for everyone's help

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 01:38 PM

I think with ag tires or chains it should be fine.I have craftsman GT5000 that I pull all sorts of homemade implements around with(I have water filled ATV tires on it)

• MH81, Sawdust and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I looked up the two implements you mentioned. The disc is spec'ed at 300lbs, if you are plowing before discing, I would think it would work well for breaking up clods of dirt..  For the cultivator, are you planning to use it to further break up the soil, or as a row crop cultivator to controll weeds after planting? 48" wide and 7 tines puts you at 8" on center between tines. With 2" sweeps on it, that leaves 6" untouched between the tines. If I recall right, you already have a sleeve hitch cultivator. You could probably bolt a longer tongue onto that, bolt some wheels on it upside down and make it into a flip-over cultivator. Like a flip over disc, but different.

As for weight and traction, I don't know whether ags or chained turfs would be better.  I have weighted and fluid filled ags on my Bolens and I was out plowing with it on the weekend with no traction issues and my soil conditions are very similar to yours. The tires are Deestone 23x8.5x12 and I was able to get 5.5gals of RV antifreeze into each, which adds 40lbs per tire. The weights are home built and with mounting hardware are about 25lbs each, for a total of 65 lbs per side. With your larger tires you could probably get that much weight on fluid filling them alone. Just do not use straight water. It probably works fine  in the southern US, but where you are it will freeze in winter and cause some serious damage.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.jpg
  • 010.jpg
  • 006.jpg

• Sawdust, Auburn David and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#10 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 07:50 PM

I looked up the two implements you mentioned. The disc is spec'ed at 300lbs, if you are plowing before discing, I would think it would work well for breaking up clods of dirt.. For the cultivator, are you planning to use it to further break up the soil, or as a row crop cultivator to controll weeds after planting? 48" wide and 7 tines puts you at 8" on center between tines. With 2" sweeps on it, that leaves 6" untouched between the tines. If I recall right, you already have a sleeve hitch cultivator. You could probably bolt a longer tongue onto that, bolt some wheels on it upside down and make it into a flip-over cultivator. Like a flip over disc, but different.

As for weight and traction, I don't know whether ags or chained turfs would be better. I have weighted and fluid filled ags on my Bolens and I was out plowing with it on the weekend with no traction issues and my soil conditions are very similar to yours. The tires are Deestone 23x8.5x12 and I was able to get 5.5gals of RV antifreeze into each, which adds 40lbs per tire. The weights are home built and with mounting hardware are about 25lbs each, for a total of 65 lbs per side. With your larger tires you could probably get that much weight on fluid filling them alone. Just do not use straight water. It probably works fine in the southern US, but where you are it will freeze in winter and cause some serious damage.

Jim

I want to use it after plowing, before disking to level the ground.

Not sure I really need the disk... As I found a simplicity 2 wheel/walking tractor disk, modified to be drawbar pulled.
  • MH81 said thank you