• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hbryant123 OFFLINE  

hbryant123
  • Member No: 82246
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hello all, after making some adjustments to the differential on my roughly 1959 midland i would like to replace the grease in the trans, according to the manual it takes #2 cup grease, i have had zero luck finding this! i believe it is no longer produced. I have been thinking the next option is thick gear oil? If anyone can point me to something that will work i would appreciate it! the current gear grease is brown, likely has water in it and hasnt been changed in atleast 40 years.

The next issue ive ran into is parts, right not the tractor is working well but it would be nice to have spares, im assuming my best bet is to buy a parts tractor, does anyone know of any auctions/rallies in Indiana??

thanks in advance! 

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:36 PM

I think the #2 cup grease was equal to the old style stringy wheel bearing grease. The kind that says not for disc brakes. It doesn't take as much heat to break it down and make it fluid. Another good option for that box would be the corn picker head gear box grease. It's more fluid but doesn't break down with heat.

The big swap meet in Portland IN is May 18-21

• ducky, MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:39 PM

WOW #2 cup grease.  Think we use that in the corn bidder before they had grease fitting.

Seriously, is this run in a gear case or is it used to lube bearings as in a shaft rotating in a hub? 

If it is the latter then a good gun grease should do the job.

If it lubes a gear case then we need to look at what in inside.  Yellow brass does not get along with Sulphur so a GL-5 will not work if this case has any brass in it..

GL-4 will play nice with yellow brass but is a bit hard to find and is a bit pricey.  I do now that the lube for a dodge ram NV 4500 trans will meet the GL-4 spec for you.  It cost 24.00/Qt at your local dodge/Ram dealer.  I am stuck with 5 Qts of this stuff because my truck was stolen just before I was going to change the trans fluid.  015 with Asin trans is another lube all together.

• Cvans and sodisr have said thanks

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:43 PM

"Another good option for that box would be the corn picker head gear box grease. It's more fluid but doesn't break down with heat."

Thanks Doug

​That is a miracle grease that I keep over looking.  Thick and loves the heat.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 12:05 AM

Try this  http://www.easternpe...cup_grease.html

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#6 hbryant123 OFFLINE  

hbryant123
  • Member No: 82246
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:42 PM

thanks everyone! i am going to recheck the manual, my trans has three forward speeds and reverse, it has gears in it, seems like it has gear oil in it!

#7 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:48 AM

I have used John Deere Corn Head Grease AN102562 in one old transmission worked fine .Cheers Mike

• DougT said thank you

#8 Z_Carrico OFFLINE  

Z_Carrico
  • Member No: 83226
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Old vehicles such as the Ford Model T and A used 600 weight oil in the rear ends, transmission too for the A it was really thick sticky stuff. Although there is not exactly any 600 weight oil available today Model A and T parts retailers do have a replacement oil that works and plays well with old gearboxes brass and bronze.  Snyders, Brattons, Macs, and Langs are some companies that sell it.  Not sure if this is any help but it is something to look into.