• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:10 PM

We have  917.254422 and 917.255919 GT's, basically clones with the exception one is a Limited Edition.

Mower decks are configured the same.

There is a spring loaded idler arm and that spring has had the end broke off. The manuals for both tractors have it listed as part number 104361X.

Anyone have information on the size of stated spring?

I could remove the deck on the operating one (the top is completely enclosed) to access its spring but can type faster than it would take to for the labor to go through that, thus figured I'd pick the brains on here.

Have to state, Sears didn't waste any ink making clear diagrams.

• ericwv2 and cherikl69 have said thanks

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'm thinking you could pull the idler arm as far as you can getting all the slack out of the belt and measure the distance between the idler arm and where it attaches then go to a good hardware store and see if they have a spring say a 3/4" to 1" shorter about 5/8" diameter and give it a try, or take your other deck off and remove the spring and go to the hardware store.

• Phluphy said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Sometimes springs can be bent on ends, at times hard to do to form a new hoop and reconnect same place, same spring. Might be a little tighter, but don't think it should be that much difference.  You check the Sears Parts page? Many times they have smaller items to sell still from older models. Not cheap, but can get it on card and sent to local Sears to get also, saving money on shipping. 

• Phluphy said thank you

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Sometimes springs can be bent on ends, at times hard to do to form a new hoop and reconnect same place, same spring. Might be a little tighter, but don't think it should be that much difference.  You check the Sears Parts page? Many times they have smaller items to sell still from older models. Not cheap, but can get it on card and sent to local Sears to get also, saving money on shipping. 

Yepper, know that but, even with heat, have learned spring steel+me+bending is not a compatible combination. Found the old spring today, taking it to ACE to see what they have.