• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 04:18 AM

I have to think this is one of those Bolens engineers thinking, let's build this great tractor, but put this one little thing that will probably fail, and to replace just a cotter pin requires tearing half of the machine apart.  One of those funny little engineer jokes that they laugh about when designing it, but never have to actually deal with it.  I said to hell with that and just drilled a hole in the plate in close proximity to where the cotter pin was.

In other words, yes, I eventually found where the cotter pin goes, and yes, it was split in half.  Stupid design.

#17 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:37 AM

I have to think this is one of those Bolens engineers thinking, let's build this great tractor, but put this one little thing that will probably fail, and to replace just a cotter pin requires tearing half of the machine apart.  One of those funny little engineer jokes that they laugh about when designing it, but never have to actually deal with it.  I said to hell with that and just drilled a hole in the plate in close proximity to where the cotter pin was.

In other words, yes, I eventually found where the cotter pin goes, and yes, it was split in half.  Stupid design.

If that's the original cotter pin that failed, it lasted approx. 45-50 years.

I don't think it's that big of a task to replace that cotter pin, if done from the underside.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks