• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:02 AM

Just stumbled upon this was curious if any of you are a member and what you think of it? Thinking about joining so I'd like to get a feel first before I make commitment
  • Alc and hamman have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:11 AM

I looked into this a few years ago. I was interested but there seems to be no activity since early 2015. I didn't join but look at their site once in a while.  Not saying it's bad just not for me. I like GTtalk and the guys and gals here. JM2CW !                                                                                                                        Roger

• Alc, petrj6, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Yeah seems like most of these GT shows and plow days are over on the east coast we just tie em in with tractor shows over here idk it is only twenty bucks though
  • hamman said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:41 AM

I tried to join this several times but I never heard from anyone on their end.  Not sure how to get in.  No time now so I'm not too concerned.  There has to be a way to get in because they have a pretty good network of members.  Maybe I wasn't wearing the right color tie?

• hamman, KennyP and Orange appeal have said thanks

#5 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:53 AM

I see on their page their president died maybe the club died with him?
  • hamman said thank you

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 12:31 PM

I recently joined.  It's still up and running.  They have had some recent changes and things are a little hectic at the moment on their end.  I'm sure things will smooth out.  I would recommend it.  They send out a newsletter and put on some shows.  It's nice to support the garden tractor community as well.

• hamman and Orange appeal have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 01:08 PM

I just met one of their founding members, Hank Watkins, great guy and very knowledgable. he was trying to get me to join so I think they are still active. He gave me a stack of their newsletters and they are pretty interesting. From what I gather mopst of the original members are pre internet, but are trying to bring the organization to the younger generations, at least that was the message he gave me. This group of guys has a wealth of intel and connections to the pre internet community and as we all know many collectors dont prescribe to modern times.
  • hamman, KennyP, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#8 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Well it's pretty clear then lol I should join I do agree alot of the most knowledgeable people aren't to be found using the internet you gotta find em via the connections.
  • hamman said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 01:32 PM

Funny Hank watkins just came up in another discussion as "the bolens man" linked to this page

http://www.farmcolle...ractor-man.aspx

• hamman said thank you

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 01:39 PM

I tried to join this several times but I never heard from anyone on their end.  Not sure how to get in.  No time now so I'm not too concerned.  There has to be a way to get in because they have a pretty good network of members.  Maybe I wasn't wearing the right color tie?

Jeff, I'm sorry you feel this way. I communicated with you several times via personal email concerning the club. Even sent membership apps out twice. I have no idea where I went wrong.

• TheFarm2004, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 01:46 PM

Jeff, I'm sorry you feel this way. I communicated with you several times via personal email concerning the club. Even sent membership apps out twice. I have no idea where I went wrong.

Nothing you did Doug.  I appreciate what you did to help.  I think I tried once and still got nowhere and just gave up.  Maybe someday when I actually have some tractor time again (haven't been able to do anything with them for a couple of years now because of work), I'll give it another try.

• hamman said thank you

#12 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 04:43 PM

If this is the same organization I was looking at, I was interested in the "insurance" they provided to their members.

Some of the shows I attend make you have liability insurance of $300,000 to ride your tractor at the show.

I contacted my insurance guy and he was going to charge me an arm & a leg for my "collection". I would have to list each and every GT in order to be able to drive what ever one I wanted to drive that particular show.

Edited by KC9KAS, April 27, 2016 - 05:25 PM.

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 05:37 PM

The VGTCOA doesn't offer insurance. You're thinking of the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Assoc also known as EDGE&TA. That really is a good deal if you have a branch near you. The only problem I've ran into there is that most clubs seem reluctant to believe in their insurance because they've never heard of it.

The VGTCOA is alive and well and will hopefully remain that way for many years to come.

• bread320i, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Well count me in I'm joining lol idk about you guys
  • DougT said thank you

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,600 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 07:37 PM

That does it I'm joining VGTCOA too!!!!!

Been thinkin I ought to join for some time.  As I understand it that club appreciates walk behinds, which I like very much.

I just renewed my 'scription to the big garden tractor mag and its fine but after about the seventh Deere picture in each issue my eyes gloss over and I get a raging headache.  I nearly fell out of my recliner an issue or two back when I was glancing through and saw a picture of a Gravely walk behind.  Got all excited until a week later when I had time to sit down and read the article. 

The article was on shipping a tractor and not really about the walk behind at all. 

• DougT, Eric and Orange appeal have said thanks