Kohler K301 vs. K301AS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theedz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3211
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I have a John Deere 312 with a Kohler K301AS in it. Well the rod broke, and luckily I shut it down quick enough before any serious damage. It looks like a need a new crank and rod and just wondering is there a difference between between a K301 and a K301AS crank and rod? Can't seem to find a rod for the AS model. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Welcome to GT talk! I am not sure on this one, I believe they are the same but I really don't know for sure. Someone should chime in soon who is more knowledgeable than I.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 06:37 AM

If you go to the OPE Engines site Kohler Genuine Parts - Kohler Engines - Service Information you can go to a parts lookup page for Kohler engines. I think you need the spec. No. off the engine to get an exact match on parts as there are many different versions of each model. You can then view all the parts diagrams/ parts numbers etc. I recently ordered parts for my 314 K321 AQS and they were in stock and shipped within 24hrs.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,236 Thanks
  • 29,693 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:19 AM

The "A" designates special low profile oil pan. The rod dipper is shorter to clear the oil pan. That is the only difference. I've used the longer rods, but simply cut the longer dipper off to match the OE rod. After cutting the dipper off, I grind the edges smooth & rounded as normal.