#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 05:56 AM

As I get older (sometimes it feels like twice as old every day) it seems there is always something we use or come in contact with that someone will say that " It's bad for you, Baaaaad" !  I can remember when I was  kid working with my dad on cars trucks, etc,. we would wash our hands in gas or diesel after working on something, then going in and washing up for dinner etc.. Lately I have been thinking more and more about Nitrle Gloves for the garage. There used to be a cream you could rub on your hands to stem off the dirt, grease and grime while working, and then wash your hands and it was easier to clean your hands. My hands seem to get dryer as I age and grease and oil stick and absorb more. I was wondering what gloves, if any, you  guys use and where you get them. I have tried the multi fit gloves from Home Depot and they are junk. Only ones I've bought ! I haven't tried any others, maybe in part due to the bad experience with the HD junk gloves. Just wanting to see what you guys use and why and where you get them. Thanks. Off to the Dr. for a early morning yearly physical and then back to get the boat ready for the fishing season. Hope you  all have a great day.  Thanks                             Roger

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:44 AM

I am mostly barehanded for the dexterity. I remember the "Invisible Glove" cream that we used 40 years ago. I figured that it was a mild soap that just filled the skin pores to keep other stuff out. It worked for short terms but not more than a couple of hours. I now usually use "Goop" to clean my hands. I am also more carefull about cleaning things before I work on them. When handling gas or other volitiles I now wear gloves than can protect me. The new gas additives are nasty. I've tried the nitrile gloves but after an hour my hands are soaked with sweat. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:45 AM

I tried some Nitrile coated gloves last summer.  the back sides were not coated.  It kept the hands pretty cool.  They keep a lot of grease and grime off the hands.  I was surprised.

Edited by daytime dave, April 26, 2016 - 06:46 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, Auburn David and 1 other said thanks

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,896 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 07:12 AM

IMG_1388.JPG My BIL gave me these ,  they are easy to get on and off dexterity is quite good they are coated on the underside for protection against liquids. www. warshawinc.com

Edited by HANKG, April 26, 2016 - 07:15 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 07:37 AM

We tried these Raven gloves ( the local NAPA store carried them )  they might seem expensive for throw aways but even here at work I reuse them for many jobs ,

http://www.glovensaf...xes-of-100.aspx

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 08:03 AM

I cant wear the Nitrile coated gloves unless I have to. I cant get them off or they end up full of sweat. My son uses these at work & brought me a pair home. Their not expensive about $4-$6 depending how many pair you buy. They stay tight to my hands & very easy to pick up small objects. I get them on ebay or Amazon several pair at a time.

http://www.atg-glove...e™-8/34-874-34/

I've tried many cleaners out there I like Goop. A good home made concoction is mixing up some Borax laundry booster in hot water to dissolve. Add some concentrated Tide laundry detergent, mix this up & put it in a squirt bottle. The Borax is abrasive & the Tide cuts the grease. Don't add too much water you want it to remain kind of thick...like a gel.

#7 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I prefer a good quality mechanics glove. The key is to get them tight so you don't feel like your wearing a glove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 09:54 AM

My experience has been pretty much like Ricks.  I've tried the nitrile gloves and mechanics gloves.  Working on Airplanes for years I've learned to do things by feel instead of sight and when I wear gloves I loose that feel.  I think it will be interesting to see what everyone else uses or not use.

• hamman said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 09:59 AM

I get sick from chemicals so have to use gloves.  I've had good luck with the thin latex doctor style gloves, almost no interference with the work.  They are sort of warm in winter, in summer after an hour the hands are sweaty but i have to take a break every hour or so anyway.  $15/box of 50 i go between rite-aid and hannaford for the blue or purple ones depending on what is in stock.

They fit under thick leather gloves if i need shock or abrasion protection as well.

For harsh cleanup, epoxy etc i keep a set of heavy dishwasher golves next to the parts washer tank, good luck

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 01:05 PM

It sounds silly, but Avon's Skin so Soft is good rubbed into your hands before you start working to keep most of the grime at bay, and it also repels mosquitoes to a certain degree. For clean up I use Go Jo with pumice, and then just wash up with regular hand soap. I have a pair of tight fitting deer skin gloves I use for rougher work, but if it's anything kind of intricate it's bare hands all the way.

• hamman, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Like Rick and Bill, I always prefer working with no gloves. But now I work as an Industrial Mechanic at a company that makes medical sutures. So I have to wear Nitrile gloves all the time now.

There are plenty of times I just have to take them off to do a particular job.

• hamman, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Back from the Dr. and shopping. Thanks for the comments. I was leaning towards the latex gloves like those at the hospital. When I had the problem with my finger a few years ago the Nurse and PT gave me a bunch of blue latex gloves. Those were a little heavier than the ones I was used to when I worked ambulance. I've tried to find out the name of the company that made the gloves but haven't found it yet. Those were great and they didn't tear or come apart like the ones I bought from HD. I have to use something due to the one finger. It soaks up anything I get into. According to the nurse it will be that way for the rest of my life. That is why I have to get some gloves. I appreciate the input.                                                                                                                                                                Roger

• HDWildBill, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Let us know what you come up with.

• hamman said thank you

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 04:10 PM

I still use gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene or mineral spirits to clean to really heavy grease off of me, then finish up with "Goo Gone" in the shower.

I have a hard enough time feeling nuts, bolts and the like bare handed.....gloves would make it almost impossible for me to feel anything!

• hamman and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:42 AM

I used to use that  hand protector in a tube till I couldn't find it anymore, switched to any $1 a bottle hand cream. Finally have given in and trying different gloves just like Hamman mentioned. Don't like them but need something. HF 5 mil for thin protection, yes hands sweat like crazy inside them (more reason for taking a break) $1 a pair brown jersey over them if need some cushioning. Rubbery front with stretchy cloth back disposable mechanics gloves seem better but whooey they go up fast if you get them near heat or spark ! (don't ask) Regular mechanics gloves for the heavy pulling, lifting, smacking work. Welding leathers for welding.Then most around the farm stuff is different weights of leather, like Lorna mentioned.

Pumiced Fast Orange for cleaning followed by Dawn or cheap off brand equivalent in slop sink followed by Ivory or home-made goats-milk hand soap to make them smell fit for dinner. After work found that Body and Bath works hand-creams, citrus seam to fill the cracks pretty well, much better than the dollar store stuff I use to coat before starting work.

If really need them to look good, like taking wife out to dinner then a few minutes soaking in lemon juice seems to help.

Gonna check into that Avon skin-so-soft, I've used it before for skeeters.

I think the best answer is keep trying different things until you get to what works best for you (and keeps the wife happy :thumbs:)

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks