• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BitsandPieces OFFLINE  

BitsandPieces
  • Member No: 82556
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:05 PM

First, I'm a newbee to this forum. I've joined with hopes of gaining knowledge on rebuilding the old Ariens GT17 I've recently pulled out of the shed. It was parked there 5 years ago after the engine blew up on it. Everything else on the tractor was working and appears to still be in decent shape except the engine. This is where my dilemma begins. The blown engine that came out of the tractor is a cast K341s 16 HP horizontal shaft Kohler? Now from what I've read, this tractor originally came with a 17.5 HP Kohler. So I'm thinking the previous owner must have repowered with the smaller Kohler. My question to the forum is if I can still use the 18 HP Briggs replacement with its conversion kit for the 17.5 HP Kohler, even though I have the 16HP Kohler. I guess the first thing I should do is pull the driveshaft and pto drive pulleys off the 16HP and measure the shaft. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. I normally wouldn't undertake this venture, however, after replacing the 4th busted cast aluminum mandrel on the Husqvarna deck, I've had my fill. They don't make them like they used to...or at least...not for the same money.  

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Does it look like the frame has been modified at all to fit the engine? What about the driveshaft?

First though, how bad is the Kohler single?

• BitsandPieces said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:48 PM

another request to see how bad the single cyl kohler is.  Sure it was a GT 17? Could have really been a S 16 with a different hood. The hoods interchange between several models, with only the decals being different on the hood between the various S/GT models.

I thought the engine base bolt pattern was different between the cast iron singles and the opposed twins.

• shorty and BitsandPieces have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!
My first concern would be to make sure front pto clutch will line up. The drive shaft could be shortened or a longer one made to fit. Does the frame have the cut outs by the engine? Do you have any pictures?

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Welcome abroad Bits.

I am an Arien Guy but I see you have some great input.

#6 BitsandPieces OFFLINE  

BitsandPieces
  • Member No: 82556
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 11:50 PM

Excellent questions....this is why I joined this forum....as to the 16HP Kohler condition, If I could find the head, rod and piston. I might be able to tell you what kind of shape it's in. Other than that, the block itself is a bit rusty. My Dad blew it up trying to start it with ether if I remember right. He tore it down years ago and now I can't find the parts. I would ask him but he has passed since then. I don't believe the block is salvageable anyway. So, there is little to no doubt if this tractor is going to run again...it will be with a replacement engine. As far as it being a S16 vice a GT17, that is possible. Maybe I have a GT17 hood on a tractor that is suppose to have a 16HP Kohler. I will research the older Ariens tractors to see if I can find out if/and where the frame is stamped. I'm hoping that will tell me if I have a 16 or a 17. I'll look for any mods on the tractor itself as well. Thanks for the input Guru's. I'll get back in a few days with more info. I'll see if I can borrow my 12 year old daughters cell phone to take some pics. :)     

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Ariens used stickers for tags for many years and a lot have been worn off over the years. It should be on the right hand side of the frame close to the dash tower. The ones that came with the K series had the frame rail run straight past the engine and the ones with the twins in the GT series had the frame notched with a gusset on the outside for the wider engine. Another thing to watch for is the height from the engine mount to the drive shaft. Once you get it running, you will have a beast of a mower compared to the Husqvarna.

Edited by shorty, April 26, 2016 - 05:36 AM.

#8 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:53 AM

some pics of my GT17 hope they help id yours 

frame rails 

20160331_191704.jpg

Data plate 

20160331_191430.jpg

hope these help

cheers nick

• shorty and BitsandPieces have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:35 PM

My S-16 with the K341.
2013-01-01 005 (800x597).jpg
  • KennyP and BitsandPieces have said thanks

#10 Gillis.jim OFFLINE  

Gillis.jim
  • Member No: 79834
  • 217 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 04:52 PM

My S-16 with the K341.
attachicon.gif2013-01-01 005 (800x597).jpg

Am I seeing double? daee984e85b6275665949559f1c0fc60.jpg
  • shorty said thank you

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Am I seeing double? daee984e85b6275665949559f1c0fc60.jpg

When did you grab my tractor?😁 Nice looking garden. And your tractor and tiller has nicer paint.

Edited by shorty, April 28, 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#12 Gillis.jim OFFLINE  

Gillis.jim
  • 217 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Excellent questions....this is why I joined this forum....as to the 16HP Kohler condition, If I could find the head, rod and piston. I might be able to tell you what kind of shape it's in. Other than that, the block itself is a bit rusty. My Dad blew it up trying to start it with ether if I remember right. He tore it down years ago and now I can't find the parts. I would ask him but he has passed since then. I don't believe the block is salvageable anyway. So, there is little to no doubt if this tractor is going to run again...it will be with a replacement engine. As far as it being a S16 vice a GT17, that is possible. Maybe I have a GT17 hood on a tractor that is suppose to have a 16HP Kohler. I will research the older Ariens tractors to see if I can find out if/and where the frame is stamped. I'm hoping that will tell me if I have a 16 or a 17. I'll look for any mods on the tractor itself as well. Thanks for the input Guru's. I'll get back in a few days with more info. I'll see if I can borrow my 12 year old daughters cell phone to take some pics. :)

Definitely try and get some pics! All of us appreciate these old machines!

Easiest way to tell is weather the rear fender pan is tin or fibreglass. If it is tin it would be the GT and the S series being the fibreglass.
  • shorty said thank you

#13 Gillis.jim OFFLINE  

Gillis.jim
  • 217 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 06:15 PM

14589a8363c33b642810f106c962c8f7.jpg38b9554eaadfc23800304604e408a38d.jpg
Here is a pic with the GT18 on the left and S-16 on the right
  • shorty said thank you

#14 o.zalesky OFFLINE  

o.zalesky
  • Member No: 84623
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 04:01 AM

hi there. regarding your s16 h, I have fitted a briggs 18hp vanguard engine some time ago, I don't remember the specifics but I did have to flare out the top of the ch.asis rail (oxy and welder) .also I welded another engine base plate over the original.the drive shaft was shortened. not that big a job if you have a few tools and handy however I have to say it was worth the effort, the briggs has been driving the mower for 6 years now without a problem .. I have to say you guys are lucky in the states because of parts availability

• shorty said thank you

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 05:13 AM

hi there. regarding your s16 h, I have fitted a briggs 18hp vanguard engine some time ago, I don't remember the specifics but I did have to flare out the top of the ch.asis rail (oxy and welder) .also I welded another engine base plate over the original.the drive shaft was shortened. not that big a job if you have a few tools and handy however I have to say it was worth the effort, the briggs has been driving the mower for 6 years now without a problem .. I have to say you guys are lucky in the states because of parts availability

Welcome to GTtalk! I think yours is the first I heard of one in Australia. Any pics or history on it?