wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Well, today I started rewiring the Caterpillar to make it more reliable and eliminate all the already bypassed safety switches and wiring nightmare. I already purchased some things at the local auto parts store to aid in the rewire, and will need to go back and get battery/starting cables (I now know the lengths). Two items I purchased were a new Ford truck starting solenoid and an IH truck ignition switch, I think that will work.

I have gotten as far as eliminating all but 3 wires on the entire tractor, leaving only the PTO wires and the ignition wire, so tomorrow I start to run brand new wire. I did get my alternator stuff straightened around too. And on top of that I determined exactly why the old ignition switch only worked some of the time, and not any of the time at Cochranton Plow Day. The "BATTERY" terminal on the back of the old ignition switch was rusted in two, go figure. So the rewire was long overdue.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 06:00 PM

It wasn't rusted in two, I think I saw George in there with a pair of side cutters when you wouldn't buy the pink shirt...

Glad you're making headway, hope you're taking pics. :thumbs:

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I took two pics, wires in the tractor, wires all over the floor. :D