• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 schoust OFFLINE  

schoust

• Member No: 3056
  • 1 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 03:55 PM

Ok Guy's you know what the mower is buy my last post now I want to get her running tip top! The mower seems to surge back and forth? The guy before me told me that the needle valve was stuck when he first got it and it recently began to surge back and forth?? Any idea's what cause's this type of problem? Also I saw the manual for the Onan model does anyone know where I can get a manual for the same tractor with a Tecumseh 16hp engine??It sure would be nice to know how to use all of these attachments too!

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 04:41 PM

Well, I would run seafoam through it first. Might fix your problem and if not then would start taking the carb apart maybe rebuild.

#3 schoust OFFLINE  

schoust

• 1 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:04 PM

Well I thought that I would through it out there with the hopes that someone has been there and had this issue?? No big deal though I suspect the issue is crappy gas and a very gummed up carb?? I can take the fellas word for it or do as I have always done and tear her down and see what's up? Can anyone suggest a good internet vendor for the rebuild kit? I also would like to find the correct manual for the machine.....
Thks

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:23 PM

You don't need to buy a rebuild kit, you can take the top off those carbs and clean them out.
If the main jet is adjustable try taking that out first and clean.
If the main jet is fixed there is a drain on the carb that lines up with the high speed jet, you can use a torch tip cleaner, just find the right one that fits in the jet, use carb cleaner with it, and gently clean it. Don't try to file it bigger just to remove dirt, gum.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Water in the gas will cause some surging, so will gum and bad gas... For that matter, sloppy butterfly shaft and out of adjustment governor are also problem children.

I think all the advice you've gotten so far are the way I'd go, maybe run a little dry gas and some seafoam in it first, while that's running, try shooting a little carb cleaner around the shafts if they slop any, this will tell you if it's sucking air there.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you find, you probably will have to clean it out, but this is non-invasive and may point towards problems that you can fix while you have it off.

#6 schoust OFFLINE  

schoust

• 1 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Well drained the tank put fresh gas in and ran the Seafoam through then trweeked the carb. Now's shee's running perfect! The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the top end seems noisy? Specificly the valves? At least that is where it seems to be coming from?

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Well, glad you got her running good. For noisy valves you can try some Lucas engine oil treatment. It might work or it might not.

#8 nev OFFLINE  

nev

• Member No: 4041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 07:07 PM

the oh160 tec. engine you can search tecumseh cast iron series and download free tec manual for these engines. Your hunting problem is caused by fuel starvation most likley. the fuel mixture screw under the fuel bowl may need to be adjusted a little richer or if the carb is clean and cannot be adjusted to resolve the issue the govener spring could be the culprit.