#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:36 AM

So, wife wants to get a new laptop, my son doesn't want us to use his :wallbanging:  :D

Anyway, we've always bought lower end stuff, we just search the internet and store pics is about it.

Any recommendations on brands or features.

Also, I've been wondering about any non Windows computers. Never used any other operating system so that is kind of scary, but not sure if I want Windows all up in my business more than they already are.

• elenaoi16 said thank you

#2 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Also, I've been wondering about any non Windows computers. Never used any other operating system so that is kind of scary, but not sure if I want Windows all up in my business more than they already are.

AMEN!!

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Funny that you should post this today.  I was reading the DW (Distro Watch) weekly news letter.  It has an article about Linux / BSD friendly hardware vendors. http://distrowatch.c...source=hardware.  I would suggest if you are interested in Linux then you look at maybe Mint Linux, Zorn, KUbuntu or PCLinuxOS.  These have a smaller learning curve and look more like Windows.  One thing that is nice about this approach is that it will come with just about all the software most users will need. Office suite, PDF, video, music, browser, text editor, games, graphics (photo) etc.  If there is something else you would like then just fire up the software center / manager and install something else.  There is no additional cost (besides the computer), unless your want to donate to one of the projects.

The other choice you have is a Macbook.  Personally my experience with the Macbook is limited but my Granddaughter and others I have talked to love theirs.  If you have an Iphone and / or an Ipad I understand they communicate beautifully.

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:45 AM

I bought a used mac online from a place that cleans and resells them.  5+ years and going fine, never went to the local shop except at first for the programs, cost 50 bucks one shot deal.  never had to change the software or battery, hope i'm not cursing myself.

Only maintenance is run the deep clean couple times a month and don't put the screen down, just cover the keyboard w/a rag, there is a wire in the hinge that can short and kill the screen, good luck

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Funny that you should post this today.  I was reading the DW (Distro Watch) weekly news letter.  It has an article about Linux / BSD friendly hardware vendors. http://distrowatch.c...source=hardware.  I would suggest if you are interested in Linux then you look at maybe Mint Linux, Zorn, KUbuntu or PCLinuxOS.  These have a smaller learning curve and look more like Windows.  One thing that is nice about this approach is that it will come with just about all the software most users will need. Office suite, PDF, video, music, browser, text editor, games, graphics (photo) etc.  If there is something else you would like then just fire up the software center / manager and install something else.  There is no additional cost (besides the computer), unless your want to donate to one of the projects.

The other choice you have is a Macbook.  Personally my experience with the Macbook is limited but my Granddaughter and others I have talked to love theirs.  If you have an Iphone and / or an Ipad I understand they communicate beautifully.

Thanks!

Other than browsing at Best Buy the other night, we have just now started looking. This info helped give me some direction.

My wife and kids used to be Iphones, but every one has switched to android and all our previous computers were windows. I have never liked MAC/Apple stuff so probably stick with Windows like stuff.

Edited by TAHOE, April 25, 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:51 PM

I've never had anything but HP(except for tablets). Everyone else hates it. So, flip a coin and take your choice.

• TAHOE said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 01:23 PM

What are you planning on using it for?
If office stuff, you're better off with a laptop, if mainly surfing... May open the possibilities to a tablet.
There are a few crossover pieces I have ZERO knowledge of (surface) but you might want to investigate.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 01:34 PM

What are you planning on using it for?
If office stuff, you're better off with a laptop, if mainly surfing... May open the possibilities to a tablet.
There are a few crossover pieces I have ZERO knowledge of (surface) but you might want to investigate.

We have tablets already which we surf with. The wife spends some time on a laptop with the kids' school work and now college apps and financial aid  :biting_nails:

We also do stuff with pictures and would like the full keyboard and screen.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 04:42 PM

Offers send you dizzy for sure. I like HP products. Looked at Apple, but not much comes with them w/out adding on and they get pricey either way. Most are gonna have windows 10, takes awhile to get open and used, have to go there way most times and some things there also need to be added for full effect.  Acer seems to be good and little cheaper maybe. I go medium price on devices, don't need most of what is offered on expensive ones, want more than cheapies, so I find medium price range and add-ons.  Good luck!

• TAHOE said thank you

#10 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Marty you have a PM

• TAHOE said thank you

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Don't know the budget but this machine with a Linux distro would be hard to beat:
http://www.amazon.co...EPAFY72WCMFSYFS

• TAHOE said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:45 AM

Don't know the budget but this machine with a Linux distro would be hard to beat:
http://www.amazon.co...EPAFY72WCMFSYFS

I think you've been looking at to many puters.  This has windows 8.1 on it. I would suggest upgrade the RAM to 8 GB.  The more RAM the better your computing experience will be.  I look at it this way, the processors of today are so fast the normal user does not notice between a quad and a dual but they will notice a difference between 4 GB and 8 GB.

PS: If you are looking for a laptop with Linux installed you may want to check out these vendors. http://distrowatch.c...source=hardware

• Trav1s and TAHOE have said thanks

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for that Bill.  I picked the wrong one from my history... and it was too late to be on the computer.

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 hilova23 OFFLINE  

hilova23
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 82562
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Acer Aspire One Cloudbook. It’s good enough for daily use. I can say that the PC is practical and "fine and dandy". In any case, expect a touch of falter when stacking most films, and a touch of slack while doing a multi-tabbed scanning. Sometimes when I've had my espresso I can advance a word beyond or so in some content boxes. The construct quality is very useful at the cost. Feels dainty, yet durable, yet light and the console is fine by all accounts. At some points, I do press however not get my spacebar, despite everything I incline toward mouse catches to the touchpad. The screen is fine and I'm happy it's not one pixel more.. to save execution. The highlights: battery life. It keeps going extremely well through a large portion of a day for most errands and I do run it down yet don't feel like I'm compelled to do as such all the time. The terrible: obliged CPU and absence of genuine fast SSD make Windows less safe, when talking envelopes of photographs, a few web tabs with media, and so on. Likewise, you will be constrained to uninstall vigorously after getting. McAffee is a WHALE of a procedure.. while initiating Windows Defender is a free essential and significantly less requesting answer for fundamental web security. At in the first place, the machine was VERY laggy with McAffee and a couple different bloatwares, and foundation overhauls. When this quieted down and was erased, it performed much better. I incapacitated everything except basic windows redesigns and as much foundation clamor as I could to get the satisfactory execution. Additionally, (and this appears to have settled itself).. there was a period where I'd abandon it on and return to a lethargic PC with a clear screen, that wouldn't wake up. This was a genuine annoyance in light of the fact that the machine is genuinely ease back in booting to Windows. I changed the lock screen to come up just on crisp boot-ups, and it's no more an issue. Could be better: an illuminated console would be a truly decent option, and most likely add next to no to the expense

Edited by hilova23, August 02, 2016 - 02:19 AM.