Garden Tractor Forums banner

briggs vanguard single cylinder, linkage issue

972 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dodge trucker 
#1 ·
I have a 14hp vanguard vertical shaft, mounted on a swisher trailmower.

This is not the original engine for this machine, IDK what it was originally mounted on.

What it's on and what it was originally on, probably not important.

I am having a problem with "final hookup details" related to the choke.

Given the 2 cable clamps hanging off of it, it apparently was originally set up with a 2 cable setup, one for the choke and another for the throttle. I would like to set it up for a single cable setup.

I have looked thru the entire Vanguard single cyl manual here on the forum. I have also hunted thru Google images, very few pictures of this particular engine. I have seen some showing the 2 cable setup, and the ones with a single cable setup all have one thing in common, every picture of the governor and throttle control, show the connection point of the choke link attachment blocked by the control itself...

this control is the big bracket held on by 3 machine screws and is connected by 2 springs to the actual governor arm coming out of the engine. the connection of the other end of the choke link, going thru the choke shaft, is pretty obvious, but I got no link between the control assy to the choke, with this unit.

A couple weeks ago, I found a "choke link" PN 262494 on a blow up illustration of this engine, and bought one off Ebay thinking that was my answer. Well when I try to connect it to the only spot on the control that comes close to make sense to connect that end of the link to, the sliding throttle control is then "locked" in place if I connect it there. I'm thinking there must be a different control available.

On the throttle bellcrank there is a lever facing down with a keyhole shaped slot and a black plastic piece snapped into it. On the back side of that black plastic piece, is a "pin" looking protrusion that I thought was supposed to straddle the U shaped end of that choke link but that black plastic piece's travel is too far when watching the bellcrank rotate thru its range for that to be right.

Model 261777 type 0144-01 Code 90121233

I am saving the 2 cable setup as a last resort because basically both cables will end up less than a foot long... ideally I'd like to find a control that has the throttle direct mounted on the engine and not have to have any cables at all. All controls will be on the engine itself or the deck itself. not on the tow bar.

I have the wiring all done for the electric start, battery and key switch, that was easy.

When I bought the trailmower, this engine came with, bolted on/ but nothing hooked up, no belt pulley,

the PO just bolted the engine on and then had no idea how to proceed in making this engine work on this machine... I'm 95% id the way there.

the wiring harness that was used on this engine on what ever its original application was included when I bought it. . I just had to cut it down to the confines of the machine that it is on now, cut, splice, solder, heat shrink, and wire loom clamps to keep it out of the way of moving parts...

Only other thing left besides this engine control linkage is to bend up a piece of 1/4" brake tube and connect the ends to the gas tank and to the fuel pump, bolt the blades onto the spindles, and it's finally done.

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm sure that is the kinds of different stuff that a different "type" number calls out vs. another engine of the same model...

I plan to sell this thing when done and only hope to recover my costs (I doubt that will even happen) so it need to look "right" and not cobbled....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.