• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,001 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hi all, this past week there was a David Bradley push/walk behind garden seeder on CL price was fair and he had all 8 seed discs that's the good the bad was someone left a cup or more of fertilizer in the seed box and it has rusted thur the bottom of the box and rusted away a 1/3 of one of the disc. The shaft and drive plated came loose with min work cleaning out the remaining fertilizer  and getting all the rust out was a job but finally got it cleaned up repaired the bottom of the seed box with a fiberglass patch and it looks look. I removed the front wheel assy and fabricated a 3pt hitch amd moved the row marker attach from up forward to back behind the 3 pt. New parts are in the paint room and should get it assembled tomorrow and give it a test try.

DB Garden Seeder 3.jpg DB Garden seeder 5.jpg HPIM2451.JPG HPIM2452.JPG HPIM2454.JPG HPIM2458.JPG HPIM2459.JPG HPIM2460.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Finally know what I have had laying out by the barn for 30 years...since we bought this place.

Have had several ppl look at it, no one knew what it was, even with the name plate on it.

This one is purdier than mine though.

• MH81 and MNGB have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,001 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Hi all, got the 3 PT installed this AM along with the row marker mount, hitched it to the SS16 and went outside with it to see if all the discs wheels gears and chain would work as they should and they did its much to wet (we had rain yesterday and last night) so when it dries up I'll put some seed corn in the box and give it a test run to see how it works, but for now I smiling.

HPIM2462.JPG HPIM2463.JPG HPIM2464.JPG HPIM2465.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Finally know what I have had laying out by the barn for 30 years...since we bought this place.
Have had several ppl look at it, no one knew what it was, even with the name plate on it.
This one is purdier than mine though.

You might want to get that in under cover and inspect it a little.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 06:25 PM

you might want one of these to help you set the seeding rates, and know what disc plants what.

scan0006.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,001 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi Lauber1, thanks, I;ll copy that lucky the lid was with the seeder and that chart is glued inside the lid. I didn't get a manual with it but have 2 or 3 that I found here and else where online. Brought some seed corn in to the shop this afternoon and tried it out the first setting used was with the F12 disc and using 18 tooth gear on the wheel and the 12 on the hopper that was way to heavy seeding next tried the 12 & 12 tooth gears was still to many seeds then went to 12 & 18 that was better, but after my Tea checked out the disc and thought I would try the E12 disc and changed the sprockets to 12 on the wheel and 12 on the hopper that looks good. What I found is that the F12 disc pockets would grab 2 / 3 seeds at once thus putting out to many seeds the E12 disc grabs only 1 maybe 2 once in a while so that seems to work good. I'll experiment some more but right now there are corn seed all over the street and on the grass next to the shop. :dancingbanana:

• Lauber1 said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:10 PM

one thing you have to watch with this seeder is bridging.....two or more seeds in the pocket and not dropping any at all, thus a bridge. sometimes this bridge gets stuck in there and don't clear out, then your planting air. hard to see all this from a tractor seat, that why I went back to the push style like you started with as I can look down and see the seed fall thru the hole.

• MH81, Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,001 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi lauber1, thanks for the heads up on the bridging that makes sense, while testing today I noticed that there were several areas where no seeds dropped I'm now thinking that what was happening. I just want to try and use this for planting sweet corn, I have a push Earthway to do my other garden seeding and may end up using that for corn also. Thanks again

• MH81 said thank you