• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 08:56 AM

I was sent this and thought that it is worth sharing, especially for those of us who remember chaulk boards. Good Luck, Rick

Subject: Fwd: OLD BLACKBOARDS

THEY ACTUALLY KNEW HOW TO WRITE, like we learned to do. Writing is not even taught in school now. The kids just print in capital letters. Even high school kids!!! Since everyone uses tablets etc., no one writes. Probably math is not taught either since everyone uses computers, tablets and calculators. Students just learn how to use their electronic gadgets as very small kids.

OLD BLACKBOARDS

Contractors began work on four classrooms of Emerson High School in Oklahoma, they knew their remodel would improve education - but they never expected it would impact local history. This is what they found hidden.

Cg3lyiW.jpg

Looking to upgrade the rooms with new whiteboards and smartboards, the workers had to first remove the outdated chalkboards. But when they began to pull away the old boards, they made a startling discovery.

N7BWeqG.jpg

Beneath the current boards rested another set of chalkboards - untouched for nearly 100 years. Protected and totally undisturbed, the century-old writings and drawings looked like they were made just yesterday. Here, a November calendar rolls into December. A turkey marks the celebration of Thanksgiving.

XwvXzBn.jpg

A multiplication table gives us a glimpse into the curriculum and methods taught in 1917, techniques perhaps lost in the passage of time. When regarding a wheel of multiplication, Principal Sherry Kishore told The Oklahoman, "I have never seen that technique in my life."

Rd8wR0w.jpg

But Oklahoma City school officials aren't just shocked by what is written, but how it is written. Penmanship like this is clearly a lost art. This board reads, "I give my head, my heart, and my life to my God and One nation indivisible with justice for all."

0Uehmi1.jpg

Within each of the four rooms, the subject matter and lessons mirrored one another - indicating, as an Oklahoma Public School Twitter caption reads, "aligned curriculum in 1917."

yEnEtYU.jpg

And though the boards' style and subject matter might be unfamiliar to younger folks, they certainly resonate with older generations. Principal Kishore told The Oklahoman what it was like to show her 85-year-old mother the boards: "She just stood there and cried. She said it was exactly like her classroom was when she was going to school."

5bx5gZO.jpg

But these boards actually predate Principal Kishore's mother by 13 years. Two dates were found on the boards: November 30, 1917, and December 4, 1917.

ULNYPPo.jpg

Some of the writings and drawings were done by students, while others were made by teachers - but I'm not always clear whose is whose.

qMHj37z.jpg

Regardless, the work is a striking look into days long gone. While reading the boards - like this one listing "My Rules To Keep Clean" - the past comes alive in a very personal way.

y6tY3lt.jpg

English teacher Cinthea Comer told The Oklahoman, "It was so eerie because the colors were so vibrant it looked like it was drawn the same day. To know that it was drawn 100 years ago. it's like you're going into a looking glass into the past."

blIAmub.jpg

Built in 1895, Emerson High School has seen many renovations and improvements throughout the years - but nothing like this has ever been discovered.

gOqQ1Gb.jpg

When removing old chalkboards in the past, contractors have only found broken pipes and wires, so this is a shocking surprise. Oklahoma City and the school district are now working to preserve these beautiful boards.

ED1EdPa.jpg

Hopefully, the spirit of these teachers and their students will be enjoyed for many years to come. Who knew that scribbles on a chalkboard could become such a precious piece of history.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 17 others have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 09:49 AM

All of today's teachers and admin, including collegiate, should look at these and contemplate whether our education system has advanced or retreated in a hundred years.

Mike

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating.
  • boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 11:46 AM

I'm not sure where people get the idea that math isn't taught in schools or that kids just use a tablet, computer, or calculator to do it. It's a load of crap. My daughter started algebra in 5th grade, Calculus in 7th, and the Trig and Advanced Geometry she has this year (9th) is beyond what I had as a freshman in college.

I've had her check and figure grades and angles at projects here at the house. And when we caught a mistake at work for the elevator counterweight system, I brought the print home and she found the error in less than 30 minutes.

You get out what you put into it. All the finger pointing, blame game stuff makes me vomit. Got a problem? Stand up, hitch up thy pants, and accept the blame. Then fix it. Waiting for someone else to fix isn't going to help.

Oops.

Those are really interesting finds on them thar chaulkboards!
  • KennyP, shorty, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 11:58 AM

A lot of truth there Cat. I see my son learning at a young age. They just use a different method of approach. While I question some of the ways, they are truly imparting wisdom to the next generation.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 12:47 PM

My daughter is only in kindergarten. So i cant comment on what they are learning later on but so far she has learned more in her first year than I remember learning by 2nd grade. She can read(whole books with with real sentences not just little things, do basic math, and other things.

I remember kindergarten being nap time, cookies, learning your colors, learning some of the alphabet. I went to a very rural school with 15 kids in my class. We had 1 room/1 teacher for 2 grades. I'm not that old but we were just under developed area.

She goes to the same school district but since I graduated they combined all the small schools into one brand new building.
  • oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 01:55 PM

That's neat to see. My writing is like what's in the fourth picture. Thanks for sharing.

Noel
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 02:35 PM

I sure hope those boards are preserved and put in a museum!

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks