#46 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the kind words - may have been premature though.  I did some final filling around the edge of the lip where it was pitted (after the third coat of filler I decided it looked good enough) and removed the outer edge of the masking and remasked the area next to the lip edge with fresh tape.  The seat then got painted white - did the lip edge first and then turned the seat upside down on an old front tire and painted the back.  After it had tacked up I set it out in the sun to dry and then after about five hours I unmasked the cover and took some pictures - I really like how the red cover pops on the white seat pan - reminds me of the Bolens 1000 seat.  Unfortunately the glue appears to have let go from the foam in a few spots (not surprised seeing how many times it was glued and pulled back apart, heated and reglued) where the curves are and as a result the cover now has a few more wrinkles in it - still looks ok but not as good as it did.  I may end up spreading the lip back apart and, removing the cover and making a new one with new sew foam - will see what it looks like in a few days.  With the fresh paint it will have to sit for several days before I can do much with it anyways.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Painting Lip Edge.jpg
  • 2 Painting Lip Edge.jpg
  • 3 Painting Bottom.jpg
  • 4 Paintng Bottom.jpg
  • 5 Drying In The Sun.jpg
  • 6 Cover Unmasked.jpg
  • 7 Cover Unmasked.jpg
  • 8 Cover Unmasked.jpg
  • 9 Cover Unmasked.jpg
  • 10 Cover Unmasked.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#47 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 07:20 PM

It looks fine!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#48 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Looks really good!

Yet another bolens seat style which requires extra effort to refurbish...

Hopefully you're not regretting taking these seat refurb jobs on.
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#49 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Looks really good!

Yet another bolens seat style which requires extra effort to refurbish...

Hopefully you're not regretting taking these seat refurb jobs on.

Thanks for the kind words.  I am not regretting taking the seats on - they offer a challenge that makes me think which is good for the brain and the worst I can do is fail.  While I am not 100% happy with the way the cover looks on the first one it is better than the way it looked before.  I thought of another way that may work to shape the vinyl - I am going to try it out on the next cover and see if it works any better than the cold rag did. 

Started on the second seat pan clean up - it is better in the butt section but at the front where the mounting nuts are and around the lip is rusted worse than the other one.  In talking with Robert (Chubien) he said he had just got another seat pan with a parts tractor and he is sending it to me - will see which one is the best candidate for his tractor.  In the meantime I will try and fix this seat pan and see if it is repairable on the lip edge.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat.jpg
  • 2 Lip.jpg
  • 3 Lip.jpg
  • 4 Lip.jpg
  • 5 Lip.jpg
  • 6 Lip.jpg
  • 7 Lip.jpg
  • 8 Edge.jpg
  • 9 COrner.jpg
  • 10 COrner.jpg
  • 11 Corner.jpg
  • 12 Front Centre.jpg
  • 13 Corner.jpg
  • 14 Tender At Front.jpg

• WrenchinOnIt and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#50 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Stew, I agree with Chubien's comments. Looks great and to me it looked 'aged' if you get my meaning. Looking forward to seeing the next one being done. Andrew.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#51 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 11:25 AM

Amazing work, I love what you have done congrats on a fine job.

• 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#52 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  Got a bit done to the seat pan while waiting for the other one to show up.  Decided to cut out and replace some of the rustier areas of the seat pan with some donor sheet metal.  Got most of the weak spots repaired and some of the welded areas ground but still have some to do yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Rivet Holes Welded In.jpg
  • 2 Rivet Holes Welded In.jpg
  • 3 Rusty Section Cut Out.jpg
  • 4 Rusty Section.jpg
  • 5 Rim Edge Welded.jpg
  • 6 New Section Welded In.jpg
  • 7 New Section Welded In.jpg
  • 8 Right Side Sections Welded In.jpg
  • 9 Right Side Sections Welded In.jpg
  • 10 Left Front Corner Repaired And Right Lip Cut Out.jpg
  • 11 New Lip Piece Welded In.jpg
  • 12 Left Lip Piece Cut Out.jpg
  • 13 RIght Lip Welded.jpg
  • 14 Both Lips Welded In And Starting To Grind Welds.jpg
  • 15 Right Side.jpg
  • 16 Rear Edge.jpg
  • 17 Left Edge.jpg
  • 18 Left Front Edge.jpg
  • 19 Inside Lip.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#53 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Did some more grinding on the welds today - got most of them to the point where I can start applying body filler.  The third seat arrived today - looks to be pretty solid and in good shape around the lip - has the usual rust and pitting that comes with being old and neglected for years.  Sometime in the past it acquired a nasty bend at the attachment bolts - not sure how it happened but will have to try and straighten it out a bit,  Will have to check out the lip real good after I spread the metal apart but on a preliminary inspection I think this one is the best of the three so it will probably be the seat that will go on Chubien's 900. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Welds Ground.jpg
  • 2 Welds Ground.jpg
  • 3 Welds Ground.jpg
  • 4 Third Seat Pan.jpg
  • 5 Third Seat Pan.jpg
  • 6 Nasty Bend At Bracket Holes.jpg
  • 7 Nasty Bend.jpg

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#54 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Got the second seat cleaned up a bit more and then gave it a coat of filler on the front and back.  Sanded and primed the front - still have to sand the rear and give it a few more coats of filler.  While the filler was setting up and the primer was drying I worked a bit on the third seat - got the bend flattened and welded two nuts to the mounting holes.  The lip on the third seat is in good shape with very little pitting - got it rolled back and removed the remains of the old cover and cleaned it up a bit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Inside Filled And Self Etching Primer.jpg
  • 2 Outside Filled.jpg
  • 3 Rear View First Coat Of Filler.jpg
  • 3 Nasty Bend Removed.jpg
  • 4 Nasty Bend Removed.jpg
  • 5 Nasty Bend Removed.jpg
  • 6 Rim Unrolled.jpg
  • 7 Started Clean Up And Added Two Nuts.jpg
  • 8 Two Nuts Welded.jpg
  • 9 Side View.jpg
  • 10 Bottom View.jpg
  • 11 SIde View.jpg
  • 12 Bottom View.jpg
  • 13 Rear View.jpg

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#55 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Got the second seat sanded, filled and sanded again to the point I could spray it with some self etching primer and then sandable primer.  Still have some imperfections to fix but at least it should not rust much now - winter is coming back for a couple of days by the sounds of it - talking snow for Sunday - yuck.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Primed.jpg
  • 2 Seat Primed.jpg
  • 3 Seat Primed.jpg
  • 4 Seat Primed.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#56 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Did a bit more to the seat the last couple of weeks trying different methods to reduce the puckers and make the cover lay flat - when it was glued initially it looked not bad but eventually the cover would loose its bond to the foam and revert back to having puckers in it which bugged me.  Talked to poptop52 and he suggested it might be the glue I was using so I tried a heavy duty hi temp product from 3M and it stuck the cover very nicely initially (first picture).  I let it cure for several days and then put it out in the sun and about two hours later the bond let go - you can see the results in the second and third picture.  I think that the vinyl still has a lot of pressure on it to return to its normal state even after it is heated and stretched and this is why the glue is letting go when it is out in the sun and gets hot.   I decided to try a different plan of attack and try and make the cover in two pieces.  I removed the cover from the foam and cut the pleated area out of it.  Then I cut a new piece of vinyl that conformed to the curved area around the sides and back and sewed the two pieces together.  This adds two seams in the front at the corners but I think it should look not too bad and in my opinion it forms to the curves a lot better with minimal puckering - the last four pictures are of the two piece cover just set in place without any heat or glue.   If I decide to go this route I will make the seam at the front where the pleats start straight across the same as the others instead of curving which will make the cover look a little less original but I think it still should look ok.  I will try gluing it and see what it looks like then - maybe I am just being to fussy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Second Seat.jpg
  • 1 Glue Let Go.jpg
  • 2 Glue Let Go.jpg
  • 3 Two Piece Cover Set In Place No Glue.jpg
  • 4 Two Piece Cover No Glue.jpg
  • 5 Two Piece Cover No Glue.jpg
  • 6 Two Piece Cover Shapes Itself To Seat Shape.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#57 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 09:30 PM

The deal is, the factory cover is molded to shape under heat and pressure, no way to duplicate that exactly. So sewing the shape is the way most are done in trim shops. But, they can also be done the way you originally started. If you were using the hi temp glue over the old glue, it won't work correctly. I guess I should have told you that, but I'm a terrible instructor! LOL
  • ClassicBolens and 29 Chev have said thanks

#58 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:24 PM

The deal is, the factory cover is molded to shape under heat and pressure, no way to duplicate that exactly. So sewing the shape is the way most are done in trim shops. But, they can also be done the way you originally started. If you were using the hi temp glue over the old glue, it won't work correctly. I guess I should have told you that, but I'm a terrible instructor! LOL

Thanks for the input - it is a tough shape to try and duplicate - like trying to put a square peg in a round hole - it can be done with a bit of work and force.  The problem may not be with the instructor but with the student being stubborn - I did consider that using the stronger glue where the other glue had already been used might not be a good plan but figured I would give it a try - thought it might save the cost of another cover.  I decided to give it one more attempt with the one piece cover so I removed the cover and the layer of foam it was glued to, cleaned up the remaining foam and glued a new piece of foam back on.  Then I sewed up a new cover - this time I only used the sew foam where the pleated area was and feathered the edges to see how it would look around the pleated area.  Then I glued the butt area and once it had set up I worked the vinyl with the heat gun and glued a small section at a time - took a bit of work but it doesn't look too bad in my opinion.  Will let the glue dry for a few days and see what happens. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 New Cover At Start (1).jpg
  • 1.5 New Cover Glued.jpg
  • 2 New Cover Glued.jpg
  • 3 Welt In Place.jpg
  • 4 Welt In Place.jpg
  • 5 Welt In Place.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, May 26, 2016 - 02:32 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and toppop52 have said thanks

#59 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:28 PM

I also glued the two piece cover in place to see how well it would form and see how it looked.  It was a lot easier to shape to the curved area and I did not use any heat to shape it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 7 Two Piece COver Starting To Tuck In Edge.jpg
  • 8 Two Piece Cover Glued.jpg
  • 9 Front Edge With Two Extra Seams.jpg
  • 10 Close Up Of Rigght Seam.jpg
  • 11 CLose Up Of Left Seam.jpg
  • 12 Welt Tucked In.jpg
  • 13 Welt Tucked In.jpg
  • 14 Welt Tucked In.jpg
  • 15 Welt Tucked IN.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#60 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 03:23 PM

The two piece over looks better in my opinion and I'm guessing will likely hold better over time?

Good work, eager to see the final product.
  • blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks