#32 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the optimistic words Austen - not sure how this is going to turn out - time will tell.  Today was a learning day (which is a good thing - regardless of the outcome you are wiser than you were before you started as to what works and what doesn't).  Decided to go with 1/4" sew foam on the pleated area and to try and make the cover out of one solid piece of vinyl - the pleats will not be as pronounced but still should look ok.  Cut out a piece of sew foam and laid it on the padding and then set the vinyl piece overtop to see how it would form to the curves.  It seemed to form not too bad but I found that a "U" shaped trough (a little dip) appeared to show through the cover where the sew foam piece ended around the butt area that I didn't like so I decided to make the sew foam piece the same size as the cover.  I glued the sew foam to the back of the cover (which I believe was a mistake - should have only glued the pleated area initially) and marked out the pleated area with the grease pencil using a pattern  I had made with measurements that wrenchinonit was kind enough to provide me with from his old cover - thanks Kevin.  I started by sewing the outline and then pulling the thread through where I started and stopped and tied the thread underneath.  Next I sewed the pleats one at a time and tied them of underneath as well - cleaned off the grease pencil marks (leaving the centreline and a front line to line up with the seat).   

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Sew Foam Cut For Pleated Area.jpg
  • 2 Sew Foam Set On Padding.jpg
  • 3 Sew Foam Glued To Back Of Vinyl.jpg
  • 4 Sew Foam Back.jpg
  • 5 Marking Out Pleated Area.jpg
  • 6 Marking Out Pleated Area.jpg
  • 7 Pleated Area Ready To Sew.jpg
  • 8 Outline Sewn Thread Pulled Through and Tied.jpg
  • 9 Outline Top View.jpg
  • 10 Two Pleats Sewn.jpg
  • 11 Pleats Ends Tied On Bottom.jpg
  • 12 Pleated Area Sewn.jpg
  • 13 Back View.jpg

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#33 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Then I set the cover on the seat padding and decided where to apply the glue initially and marked out that area.  Next I applied the glue, aligned the cover with the centre line by folding the cover in half and clamping it the same way I had done with the padding and starting at the front centre area applied hand pressure to stick the cover to the padding.  It looked good in the pleated area (in my opinion) but when I tried to form the cover up the curves I ended up with a bunch of puckers and ripples (as you can see in the last picture)  which is when I realized I should have only glued the sew foam to the cover in the pleated area - this would have allowed me to form and glue the sew foam to the seat padding and then I could have tried to work the vinyl with the heat gun to get it to shape to the curves and then glue it to the sew foam - OOPS! Like I stated today was a learning day - will have to play with it tomorrow and see what I can do with it - may have to make another cover or sew up a cover in sections with seams??  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Glue Area Marked Out.jpg
  • 2 Glue Area Marked Out On Padding.jpg
  • 3 Glue Applied To Padding.jpg
  • 4 Glue Applied To Cover.jpg
  • 5 Oops Lots Of Wrinkles.jpg

• Bolens 1000, fonz3482, LPBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#34 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:11 PM

I decided to see what I could do to try and make this cover look and fit better since it was already stuck to the padding. I pulled the vinyl back apart from the sew foam down to the point where the wrinkles stopped at the back and rear corners.  Found out the glue I am using gets a good hold once it has set up and ended up with pieces of the foam ripping and staying stuck to the back of the vinyl.  I ended up scraping the back of the vinyl with a razor blade to get rid of the bits of foam as best I could and then cut out the ripped sections of sew foam.  Once they were removed I cut up my test piece of sew foam that I had made for the butt area and glued it to the seat foam in three pieces.  Then I used the heat gun to try and shape the vinyl to the rear padding as best I good - found out once the vinyl has been glued it is not the nicest to try and reshape but I made some progress and it was sort of formed but still had some wrinkles.  Next I trimmed the sew foam around the lip and got some rope to make a new welt and closed the lip up a bit so that the welt would hold the cover in the groove once it was pushed in with a screwdriver.  Once I had the welt pushed in all the way around ( had stretched the vinyl as I was pressing the welt in ) it was not looking too bad in my opinion - still has a few puckers that I am not happy about in the right rear corner area.  I was surprised how the front corners turned out as they just seemed to mould themselves to a nice round corner without any heat.  My fingers were getting tired from pulling the sew foam off the vinyl and trying to heat stretch / shrink  the vinyl so I decided to call it a day.  Will think about it some more tonight and see if any new ideas pop into my head - maybe this is as good as it gets. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Sew Foam Separated From Back Of Vinyl.jpg
  • 2 Sew Foam Separated From Back Of Vinyl.jpg
  • 3 Sections Of Sew Foam Cut Out.jpg
  • 4 Gluing In New Sew Foam.jpg
  • 5 Gluing In New Sew Foam.jpg
  • 6 Gluing In New Sew Foam.jpg
  • 7 Starting To Shape Foam With Heat Gun.jpg
  • 8 After Some Heat.jpg
  • 9 Trimming Sew Foam.jpg
  • 10 Adding New Rope Welt.jpg
  • 11 Rope Welt Pressed Into Groove.jpg
  • 12 Puckers In Right Corner.jpg
  • 13 Clamps Set On Cover For Cmaera To Auto Focus.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#35 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Thats looking good, I'll have to save some $$ as I want new covers for all my models now! :D 

• 29 Chev said thank you

#36 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thats looking good, I'll have to save some $$ as I want new covers for all my models now! :D

Not looking as good as I had hoped - I have an idea that just came to me I want to try tomorrow to see if it will shrink the vinyl better. 

So that will be a 900, 1000, 1050, EK ?  You will be hoping the Canadian $ stays where it is and doesn't increase in value for a little while. :rolling:

• Bolens 1000, toppop52 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#37 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:42 PM

A little work, but pull the area with wrinkles loose to the base of the wrinkles. Spray glue about 6" in the corners where it turns to the back and side, then Take a heat gun and get it real hot, but don't blister it, pull it up and start sticking at the bottom and work to the top, spreading as you go. Do both corners first then fill in. I hope I got across the concept.
  • 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#38 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the advise - will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

• toppop52 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#39 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Peeled the vinyl back to where the wrinkles started as toppop52 suggested and tried my idea to form and shrink the vinyl.  I took the heat gun and heated up a small area of the vinyl and then I took a cloth that I soaked in cold water, wringed it out so it was just damp and cold and held it against the hot vinyl to cool it as I pressed the vinyl against the curves - did it a few times and it seemed to mould the vinyl into the shape of the curved corners - still had a few puckers but not nearly as bad.  Then I did as toppop52 suggested - applied the glue, heated the vinyl and slowly stretched and worked it up the curves and then I clamped it as I worked the rope welt back into the groove around the back.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Right Corner Reworked.jpg
  • 2 Right Corner Close Up.jpg
  • 3 Left Corner Glue Applied.jpg
  • 4 Left Corner Reworked.jpg
  • 5 Welt Worked Back In.jpg
  • 6 Left Corner Close Up.jpg
  • 7 Centre Back Close Up.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, May 05, 2016 - 08:04 PM.

• LPBolens, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#40 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:13 PM

It looked fairly decent so I decided to trim the excess vinyl with a razor blade which I am pretty sure is another mistake - I think I should have left it in place until after I painted the seat pan and then trimmed it - will see how it looks after it is painted as there will probably be a bit of paint on the cover right at the edge.  In case anyone is wondering why I did not paint the seat pan before I put the cover on the fresh paint would be all marked up from working on the seat and closing the lip and it would have had to be repainted again.  After I trimmed the cover I started to close up the lip to hold the welt in using my homemade wooden hammer which works well on the larger straight sides and around the back.  I made sure the welt was pushed down into the groove using a large flat screwdriver to push on the rope welt being careful not to push against the vinyl as the screwdriver blade would cut into the vinyl.  I used another tool made from a modified pair of old vise grips that I had for years to bend and form sheet metal for across the front and the front corners and to finish squeezing the lip.  The flat pieces of metal do a nice job of squeezing and bending metal without marking the metal the way a regular pair of vise grips would.  If you notice the one piece of metal on the jaws is about 3" long and the other about 1".  This allows them to be used in tight areas such as the curved corners at the front of the pan as I find these are the hardest areas to squeeze together evenly without marking or ripping the metal lip.  Initially I start with the short piece of metal on the backside of the lip and then as it is close to being shut I put the wider piece of metal to the back so I can level out the metal lip so it looks fairly uniform where it is crimped. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Trimming Edge.jpg
  • 2 Trimming Edge.jpg
  • 3 Trimming Edge.jpg
  • 4 Edge Trimmed.jpg
  • 5 Edge Trimmed.jpg
  • 6 Starting To Close Lip.jpg
  • 7 Starting To Close Lip.jpg
  • 8 Home Made Wooden Hammer.jpg
  • 9 Modified Vise Grips For Squeezing Lip Closed.jpg
  • 10 Starting To Squeeze Corner Closed.jpg
  • 11 Starting To Squeeze Corner Closed.jpg
  • 12 Finishing Squeezing Lip CLosed.jpg

• LPBolens, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#41 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Here are pictures of what it looked like after I was done with the lip.  Like I said I am thinking I should have left the excess vinyl around the lip until after I painted the seat pan - the last picture shows the cover masked for final prep work on the lip before painting - will see how much the masking tape shrinks away from the edge.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Lip Squeezed Closed.jpg
  • 2 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 3 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 4 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 5 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 6 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 7 Lip Squeezed.jpg
  • 8 Back View Of Lip.jpg
  • 9 Back View Of Lip.jpg
  • 10 Cover Masked For Final Paint Prep.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#42 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Stew,I said it before and will say it again,YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!,Super Job !!!!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#43 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Looks good! If the few remaining wrinkles bother you, give it a day in the sun on a nice day, or give the glue a week and use the heat gun to take them out. Personally, I'd leave it alone, looks fine.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#44 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 950 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Beautiful work per usual!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#45 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 05:24 AM

The job you did molding the vinyl into the corners is just fantastic , you should be very proud of your work   :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  

• 29 Chev said thank you