• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Greetings- As the title states, my very first Bush Hog! ,  but I need a few parts to get her mowing again. The original owner, a 95 year old gentleman who died last November , fashioned a "cradle" out of metal and wood that sat above the mower deck with a 6?HP vertical shaft B & S  Intek motor that drove the deck with a belt. I'm not sure if he pulled or pushed this contraption with the D4-7, but according to his son, it worked very well.. The contraption was not part of the sale, just the mowing deck. I have the four hangers and the "mule drive", but there is no front PTO on the motor shaft or the linkage to engage it. Can someone point me in the right direction to find a PTO that will get the mowing deck operational again? I'll post some pics once I figure out what is required. Thank you, Paul Lefebvre, Providence, RI

DSC_0100.JPG DSC_0099.JPG

• Bolens 1000, DH1, LPBolens and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hello, Welcome to GTT :wave:

That Bush hog is in incredible shape for its age

I really like the older ones like this with the Wisconsin engines , that one should be an S7D Wisconsin in there :thumbs: 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Wow that is way better than mine, nice score.  I have been in contact with sacsr, he has a web site dedicated to the preservation of bush hog tractors, great guy with lots of helpful info.  he will be along soon.

Pete

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Paul pretty sure your tractor came with the yoke style pto clutch. That's a rare one to find. I only have 1 tractor with one of those clutches. Congrats on finding a very nice tractor! Would love to get your serial number off the tractor and the motor for the registry.
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and jerseyeyes have said thanks

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Sweet tractor you have there! Congrats on the find!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Not complete info, but  the tractor has a tag on it that says "Selma, Alabama " with a serial number of  7I57, I'll grab the number off of the Wisconsin motor tomorrow when daylight returns., Thanks, Paul, ps. -the tractor came with a Bush Hog snow/dirt plow installed (which I have) with chains and wheel weights, along with a "single bottom" plow, and an 8 disk harrow, all for the unbelievable sum of $400.00. Sometimes you just get lucky!

• LPBolens, sacsr, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 06:05 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a very nice survivor.

#8 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 10:46 AM

very nice tractor and good haul on accessories too!  my d4-7 has the clutch like yours would have but I don't have any pics of it.  will try to remember to take some next time im at the farm.  welcome and congrats!

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Good to see another Bush Hog fan in RI! Welcome! Did you get the snowblower he had there too for that machine? The blue trailer I'd love to see photos that it came with too. If you need parts, I should have some, somewhere around here. I have a few D4-7s. 

#10 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Paul pretty sure your tractor came with the yoke style pto clutch. That's a rare one to find. I only have 1 tractor with one of those clutches. Congrats on finding a very nice tractor! Would love to get your serial number off the tractor and the motor for the registry.

Scott, this is the BH we were texting about earlier in the month.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:40 PM

i just noticed that it has a late style steering wheel like the d4-12s v4-10s and last d4-10s.  probably was replaced back in the day.

#12 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Titus- Yes, as a matter of fact, I do need a few parts to get the mower deck functioning. As mentioned in my first post, the original owner was powering the mowing deck with a separate motor hovering above the deck on a custom built "cradle" that was either pushed or pulled by the tractor. The front PTO is not there, neither is the linkage to engage/disengage it. If I can't find the genuine PTO, I may try to use a PTO off of a Cub Cadet 122. Regarding the snowblower that he had, yes, I bought that as well , but that is from a Wheel Horse tractor, not a Bush Hog. Just yesterday I picked up a Wheel Horse Commando 8  (1967?) with no attachments so I'm going to see if the snowblower fits onto the Wheel Horse, if not, possibly a fit onto the Bush Hog, and if thats' not practical, I may just sell it. I don't think that it was ever used, the inside of the chute is not scratched and still has all of it's red paint intact! That old blue cart is handmade, probably from an old (50-60s) truck bed. The "chassis" is solid, but the sheet metal needs a lot of work. It also came with two NOS 60 year old tires that have no signs of wear or dry rot. I'll post some pics later. I'll PM you with my email address and phone number so that we can make contact. Once again, thanks everyone for for all of your positive comments. I love this "hobby", the tractors, and the tractor people. I just had no idea that this was an ADDICTION!!! Thanks, Paul

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#13 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Also wondering what weight and type of hydraulic fluid goes into the rear end? When ever possible, I try to use synthetic fluid  in my cars and tractors , but I'd like to hear your recommendations on the subject. Thanks, Paul

#14 subdude OFFLINE  

subdude
  • Member No: 79242
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Very nice Paul!

Could you post pics of the  blade assembly where the tension springs attach?  Also is the plow and harrow bush hog?

Matt

#15 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Man, that is in nice shape!! What a cool tractor!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d4-7