• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 06:43 AM

Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement filter for the hydro filter on the Massey MF12H? I did some google searching yesterday and it seems to be a lack of results along with a result or two for places I don't want to visit LOL.

The hydro on the 12H I just got seems to be pretty strong but does seem to have a sluggishness to it. I would like to service it and use it for my mowing machine this summer. I have the mower deck I got with my MF12G stripped down waiting for the new bearings to get here. Going to sandblast the underside and the top under the cover and paint it.

#2 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:16 AM

I got the filter for my 12h at a New Holland dealer. The part# is JAC 545440. It was pricey but it's not something you need to replace often. Definitely worth it for your tractor, I think you'll see a night and day difference. I did find the filter online also: New Holland JAC545440 FILTER, ELEMENT
  • NUTNDUN, IamSherwood, brandad and 1 other said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:22 AM

I got the filter for my 12h at a New Holland dealer. The part# is JAC 545440. It was pricey but it's not something you need to replace often. Definitely worth it for your tractor, I think you'll see a night and day difference. I did find the filter online also: New Holland JAC545440 FILTER, ELEMENT

I thought they were NLA.
It was an exact replacement?
That'd be great.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:44 AM

I'd like to see a pic of this filter. None of the New Holland sites show one. Is it a screw on, or in line?

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'd like to see a pic of this filter. None of the New Holland sites show one. Is it a screw on, or in line?

I think it is a screw on just like a regular oil filter.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks a bunch Dan, I am going to add your post to a sticky so we have the info for the filter readily available to everyone. We have a New Holland dealer up by our work and I will call them tomorrow to see if they have one in stock.

I think part of the issue with the 12H I got is the forward/reverse control needs adjusted. I wanted to also ask, is the rearend and hydro oil separate on the 12H? I am assuming they are but I am not sure and haven't dug in to it enough to know. I know it has the reservoir for the hydro under the seat.

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 09:01 AM

The filter is internal, you have to drop the pan to get to it. The filter is a slide on and there is a spring that sits between the trans pan and the filter to keep it in place.I'm pretty sure it is a direct replacement filter. When I dropped my pan I discovered that someone had made a filter for it by sticking 2 small filters together with gasket sealer and then placing rubber shims between it and the pan, no spring. I installed the new filter and used a valve spring I had, it was a perfect fit.

The rearend and hydro oil are separate. Regular gear oil for rearend and I used ATF for the hydro.
  • NUTNDUN, KennyP and brandad have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 09:10 AM

The filter is internal, you have to drop the pan to get to it. The filter is a slide on and there is a spring that sits between the trans pan and the filter to keep it in place.I'm pretty sure it is a direct replacement filter. When I dropped my pan I discovered that someone had made a filter for it by sticking 2 small filters together with gasket sealer and then placing rubber shims between it and the pan, no spring. I installed the new filter and used a valve spring I had, it was a perfect fit.

The rearend and hydro oil are separate. Regular gear oil for rearend and I used ATF for the hydro.

I am glad you said about the internal filter. I thought for sure it was a screw on but I think I am getting the tractors mixed up. Were you able to use gasket maker rtv for the oil pan gasket or did you get a replacement gasket?

#9 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Were you able to use gasket maker rtv for the oil pan gasket or did you get a replacement gasket?

I was careful and able to save the old one, I think it stuck to the pan. RTV would probably work if you can't save the gasket.