Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 140 Rear 3 Point Hitch/PTO & Sprayer Build...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Sounds like it is working like you want!

• michael.kitko said thank you

#32 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 12:07 PM

That's quite impressive!

#33 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 05:45 AM

Finally got the lower cart painted and disassembled the sprayer skid to get it ready to turn the tack welds into beads. I was actually pretty surprised how well it came off there. Also, not quite happy with the little spray tips I have on the back, so I started searching for replacements. I think I will eventually end up buying Hydro Boom X-Tenders for the outers and using maybe a Hypro Guardian Air for the center. Don't really know yet, but I am open to suggestions. The goal is to get a 20ft to 30ft spray width.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#34 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Can you use regular bulkhead fittings? Like these: http://www.tractorsu...ng?cm_vc=-10005

Happy to see the link works, at least for me!

I use those on my homemade pond/fish tank filter systems. Those or uniseals are good too for low pressure stuff.

Nice build Mike! :thumbs:

• michael.kitko and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#35 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:15 AM

I use those on my homemade pond/fish tank filter systems. Those or uniseals are good too for low pressure stuff.

I'd never heard of the uniseals, they look like a lower-cost solution with better flexibility! Have you ever used them on the curved side of a barrel?

#36 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I'd never heard of the uniseals, they look like a lower-cost solution with better flexibility! Have you ever used them on the curved side of a barrel?

no, I tried using a bulkhead on a bucket and bucket cracked after about a year due to the bulkhead flattening it out. The uniseal will prevent that and that's a big plus for them is that that can still seal being on a curve. They are big in the DIY aquarium hobby, makes it easy to run PVC through a bucket or drum that's not under a lot of pressure.

• Alc, michael.kitko and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#37 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 11:40 AM

no, I tried using a bulkhead on a bucket and bucket cracked after about a year due to the bulkhead flattening it out. The uniseal will prevent that and that's a big plus for them is that that can still seal being on a curve. They are big in the DIY aquarium hobby, makes it easy to run PVC through a bucket or drum that's not under a lot of pressure.

I'll have to try them out. I have a couple of hog waterers to build, if I can go through the side instead of the end of the drum, it'll make things simpler. Thanks!

#38 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Finished the welding for the main skid and changed up how the front hose mount is attached. I cut it off and TIG welded a bottom piece on to allow me to bolt it to the frame and added some brackets to allow it to stay more steady than it was. After the welding and drilling, I got started painting so I can roll it out and finally start using it. I need to go get argon to finish the top cover, so that is still waiting for me to finish that up.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#39 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 06:53 PM

You know, I hate getting stung by bees/wasps and especially nasty little yellow jackets. Happen today. So, our vinyl fence had some kind of nest in it. Well, I got blasted as I was watering some plants and passing the hose over the fence. Normally, I would just burn them, but this couldn't work with our fence and being so close to the house. So, I got out the sprayer because all I had was TalStar P for the sprayer and no wasp/hornet spray. It was then that I started kicking myself. I knew I should have added an aux tank for when I only needed small mixes. I tried to save money by not adding it and here it was not even two weeks fully operational biting me in the butt. So, there I was with a bucket hanging from the hose rack and some tubes going in and out to feed the pump.

Let's just say, I will be adding that little side tank after all.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Alc, KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#40 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20! At least you have the knowledge and skill to make it better.

• Alc said thank you

#41 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Side mount bracket fabbed, painted, and attached. Still have to do a bit of plumbing, but I am on the right track. Now, I just have to go get some parts and the wife already has one job that doesn't require a full 50gals...weed killer.

9c2d271b6da4aa37b1cbbbfc220b0cb4.jpg

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Edited by michael.kitko, June 22, 2016 - 05:42 PM.

• Cat385B and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#42 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Well, had my first actual spray run this morning. Forgot to take pictures, but she works better than expected. About half a tank of gas used from the 140 and the whole yard done in about an hour, including the perimeter where I just put it in crawl and walked along while spraying. In all I used about 20 gallons and only originally mixed 25 gallons. Now the grand total, I spent about $30 today in spray mix and gas. Deduct that from what we originally were paying and I saved $135. Now, I do know sprayers and tractors take a beating from spraying and eventually need work, but I think I am saving in the long run.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Alc and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#43 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Was wondering how you got along with the blower build.

Noel

I just was looking through my old posts and realized I never posted up pictures or a video of the blower attached and running. It is winter, I am going to get you guys a picture and video of the set-up.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#44 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Day one of doing a few mods before I show my setup. After last winter, I got my hands on a second angle gear box that had a chewed up keyway. The plan is to adapt it slightly from the earlier setup, so that my PTO adapter can couple directly from output to input. So today I turned down the shaft from .75 to .625.

Still yet to do, I have to get two new hydraulic lines. I had to steal mine for the blade which blew on the last plow of last winter. I also need to make some new mounting straps to adjust it properly. Anyways, I might transfer this over to another thread.

aa651178187913ada2a6e849f587b42c.jpg

a9861a870ccc883ba9d82cd6d0cfbf6b.jpg

60975ff8e86a41d4e992624915e734c8.jpg

a268122902707d1aecb550e3a0c0896b.jpg

a9997c4e63da7fd06b888e32e3d9b885.jpg

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • KennyP, SupplySergeant and propane1 have said thanks

#45 VICHARRIS OFFLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Nice machining project.

The rear belt driven PTO assembly  you have fabricated. What are the RPM and rotation characteristics? I am thinking doing a similar project for my JD 316 diesel. The 3pt hitch snowblower. Is it a single stage? And rpm do you figure the auger rotates at?