jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:12 AM

First Bolens I've ever fooled with. When I tried to roll it off the truck the rear-axle seemed jammed tight? All the levers work. Brake off, out of gear, belt (only has one) loose on shaft, no budge?

IMG_20160421_114455.jpg

Got one of my bigger tractors to help get it out of truck. I worked the wheels back and forth several times with no weight on it and they started to move? What should I look for that can cause that?

• blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Don't know if this would help.

Model tag says it is a 1255  0200###

Engine is a 14hp Tech

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:18 AM

If it is a gear shift tractor you have to remove the free wheel pin in the hub for the tractor to roll freely. I believe it is the right hub If your standing behind the tractor.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#4 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:20 AM

16_2.jpg

• Bolens 1000, MH81, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:24 AM

That pin will be on the right axle.

100_4232.JPG

If it's been in there for a long time you may have to hit it with a penetrating oil and let it soak for awhile.

If it's still reluctant to come out, you can  remove the right wheel which will allow to use a drift pin to drive it out.

Just be careful and don't smack it too hard.

Once out, make sure to grease it before reinstalling.  That will help in removing it in the future.

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 22, 2016 - 07:25 AM.

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:48 AM

The GT knows it was free, so it's going to put up a fight, just the nature of the beast ;)

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Lock pins even on manuals??  Why they do that?  Gears can't run on backside of teeth or something?  Seems odd. Good secret to keep from unkowing buyer that has a junker for sale because of problems.  Buy it with lock up issue for cheap, the reach down and pull the pin and push on trailer as seller looks on in awe! Heh!

• jpackard56, MyBolens1053 and papabear73 have said thanks

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 04:31 PM

It a worm gear drive, so it can't roll when the shaft isn't turning.

• HowardsMF155, jpackard56, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 04:51 PM

I learned that lesson the hard way. I did the same thing moved it with the loader, then the guys on here told me about the pin, much easier to move now.

• jpackard56 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:27 AM

The GT knows it was free, so it's going to put up a fight, just the nature of the beast ;)

Seems to be some truth in that ! Found a couple other issues that I will need to post when I can take photos to see what all you Bolen's experts have to say. Thanks everybody, I have that sliding pin plastered with PB Blaster currently. The hair-pin bent and broke off coming out, guess its been rusting in there a while...Took the wheel off for better access and then it started to pour rain. Story will continue later...

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:31 AM

It a worm gear drive, so it can't roll when the shaft isn't turning.

Never would have thought of that !  Learning all the time (slow at times, well maybe more often than not)

Thanks for the insight, I was stumped at why a gear tractor wouldn't roll, never fooled with one that wouldn't, hydro yes, gear no.

Thanks again, I'm trying to get some manuals downloaded to help my learning curve, just can't focus on the drawings that well, seem all fuzzed up.

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:35 AM

I learned that lesson the hard way. I did the same thing moved it with the loader, then the guys on here told me about the pin, much easier to move now.

Sure had me perplexed, ride home was pretty smooth, couldn't imagine how had jammed gears to point wouldn't move.

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Got the wheel drive plate off after using 3/4 impact and full load of air on the axle nut,  cotter pin was already below surface of castle nut (somewhere).

IMG_20160423_112603.jpg

I'm guessing this axle plate is not supposed to be wallered out like that either ?

Next question: Is there some way of getting the axle casting that holds the release pin off so that I can work on it in a vice ? I pulled a small roll pin out and put more blaster down that hole as well as sprayed the whole thing 3 more times today. Release pin is sort-of deformed on the side that was wallering out the axle plate, thinking it will need lots of persuasion (probably from the inboard side) to get it freed up which is about impossible where it is at currently.

:anyone:

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:01 PM

What you are calling the axle casting I believe is the hub and if things are not rusted or seized it should just pull off as I believe it is the same set up as what a 1050 is.  The small roll pin is designed to hold the drive pin from sliding all the way out of the hole when it is disengaged.  Having said that the hub is probably seized on to the axle shaft in which case you may need to use a puller and some heat to get it to move.  If the pin is deformed I would suggest using a wire brush and a file to smooth any rough edges  on it and try to turn it with a pair of vise grips but be gentle as the cast ear with the hole it is in is fragile and can break easily if you get too rough with it.  If you have a look at the parts break down you can see how the hub slides over a key on the axle and it will help you visualize what you are up against.  If you can get the pin to start turning then you should be able to work penetrating fluid around it and eventually it should slide in the hole - good luck.

• jpackard56, Sawdust and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for explaining that roll pin, it didn't seem to be holding anything, and the hole didn't seem to go deep enough to do anything. Since I haven't seen the axle pin move I hadn't even considered it could move far enough to drop out, clever solution of them. I can see the key  mentioned and it looked like it should slide off, but rust everywhere, so if there is not some other clip or retaining ring that needs removed I will try some heat and gear puller next time out.

Thanks again,

Jim