#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 05:05 AM

Hello everyone,

As some may know I recently purchased a Bolens 600 with front reel mower. I brought it home and it died out on me and wasn't getting fuel. I called my "supplier" Brian and got a carb rebuild kit, new fuel line, inline filter, fuel shut off valve, and a new plug. I installed everything on Wednesday and it fired up. But here is the problem. It fires up and I can't bring it down to a good idle. Its current idle is like 1/2 throttle right now. If I raise the throttle the rpms run away on me and I'm scared the thing is gonna blow up. I can adjust the carb(turn out the bottom mixture jet) so it idles down lower, but I think its only doing that because I'm making it way to rich and it puffs smoke and spits and sputters and wants to stall. I can adjust the jet in so it smooths out, but then the rpms just want to run away on me. I've reviewed all this with Brian, and he gave me a few ideas, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before and could maybe give me their input. What I'm currently looking into is if the spring that hooks from the throttle plate/shaft at the top of the carb through the eyelit of the metal carb cover is the wrong spring. It seems very loose and too long. I wanted to purchase a new spring, but they are NLA. Brian found me one on ebay, but I was trying to see what others think about the spring, and if it could be the spring tension or lack there of causing the issue.  If some fellow 600 owners could take a look at their springs to see if there is tension on them or if they are loose with the throttle all the way down that be great.  I'm also looking at the linkage between the carb and the governor. If anyone has pictures of the spring and linkages, I'd greatly appreciate the help. I want to get the little 600 running and try the reel mower out.  This thing is kicking my butt!! :mad2: My grass is pretty tall already, and my wife has been bugging me to mow, I don't want to have to do it,  but pretty soon I'll just have to push it aside and get the new tractor out to cut the grass if I can't get the carb figured out. :wallbanging: Thanks in advance!

Edited by fonz3482, April 22, 2016 - 05:10 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Some pics of what you have would be helpful.

In general, B&S governor springs should have no tension (they should be slack) when the throttle control is in the idle position.

It's possible something is not hooked-up correctly or out-of-adjustment.

Does your engine have a mechanical or air-vane governor?

What are the Model & Type numbers of your engine?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 06:22 AM

I will have to snap a few pictures when I get home today. I'm not fimiliar with briggs motors. All I can tell you is there is a a metal almost coat hanger rod with hooks at each end that connects from the carb throttle shaft to the bottom of a traingle shaped pivot. I believe when you increase the throttle, that rod pulls on the bottom of the traingle pivot, which pushes the governor rod that is hooked at the top of the pivot. That rod runs behind the flywheel cover from there where I assume the governor is. So The governor seems to be tucked behind the cover where I can't see it.  I don't know if that explaination helps any?

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 09:28 AM

According to the tube frame repair manual the 600 should have a 142302 or 142301 6 H.P. Briggs if it is still the original engine.  Attached are pages from the owners manual and the repair manual for that series engine from this site that show illustrations of the carb linkage for those series which may be of some help.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,320 Thanks
  • 1,112 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 10:43 AM

Check to be sure the throttle shat isnt worn out causing a vacuum leak, and spray carb cleaner or the like around the gaskets to check for a vacc leak while running. If you do have a vacc leak it should raise the rpm, and worn shafts are almost impossible to tune in. Cheers

#6 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Well here are some pictures of what I have. You can't really see how loose the spring is, but you can see that the coils of the spring aren't stretched at all and have no tension on them at all. You can also see the linkage to the governor. Hopefully these help.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 887 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Something about the linkage in your 3rd picture doesn't look right to me.  Things are either improperly connected or the plate on the pivot is about 1/2 turn from where it should be.

The link to the throttle shaft should be rotating the shaft instead of pulling the direction it is.

Edited by MiCarl, April 22, 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#8 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Something about the linkage in your 3rd picture doesn't look right to me. Things are either improperly connected or the plate on the pivot is about 1/2 turn from where it should be.

The link to the throttle shaft should be rotating the shaft instead of pulling the direction it is.

I thought it was wierd that the 2 rods or links are different gauge or thickness. The one to the governor is thicker as you can see. But I got it that way, so I didn't think anything of it till now.

#9 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Anyone here with a 600 that can snap a picture of that pivot for me please? I'd greatly appreciate it. From the manual that were posted, nothing is exactly the same as mine, but the one picture does show the triangle pivot and mine would be wrong compared to that picture.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Picture 3 is your problem area that link should be up and down not straight across like that and is likely not giving you any movement for hi/lo speeds

Sorry I didnt get pics of my setup computer blew up and had to get a backup. I'll try and get you those pics this weekend.

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 05:54 PM

Picture 3 is your problem area that link should be up and down not straight across like that and is likely not giving you any movement for hi/lo speeds

Sorry I didnt get pics of my setup computer blew up and had to get a backup. I'll try and get you those pics this weekend.

Thanks Brian! No worries, I'll go out and flip that around hopefully tomorrow morning. I knew something didn't look right when I was watching that pivot point operate. But I couldn't find any pics to confirm it was wrong. Hopefully that fixes it and I'll be mowing tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your computer. I know what it's like not having one, I pretty much use my phone for everything. Thanks everyone for your input and help!!

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Here is a picture of your carb linkage compared with the illustration I believe matches it - looks like the carb just needs to be loosened and dropped a little so you can rotate your arm clockwise so the rod to the right is at the top.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 3 Versus Drawing.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#13 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Yea, that definitely is wrong on mine. The manuals were hard to see on my phone, but now I can see it in that picture. I kept looking at that and telling myself that didn't look right! Oh well, stupid mistake possibly on my part, or it was like that when I got it but I can't remember if it was or not. It had the same symptoms before I brought it home so it's possible.

#14 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Well I went out and flipped the linkage around. Fired it up and it runs!! I don't think I have the carb adjusted right yet, but at least the rpms aren't running away on me! I was so excited I made 5 passes in the front yard after 9:15pm in the dark with the reel mower. I can't see how I did, but I saw grass blades flying out the back and the tractor didn't hurt at all for power in my high grass. I can't wait to see how it came out in the morning. but hey, it looks good in the dark! Lol!

Edited by fonz3482, April 22, 2016 - 08:52 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 887 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I knew you wouldn't be able to wait until tomorrow.

Congrats!

• Bolens800uk said thank you