13 replies to this topic

#1 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Does anyone have a diagram of how a key switch 's contacts work when the key is turned. I am working on a 1256, switch # 1721 409.

• blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053, charliewl1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone have a diagram of how a key switch 's contacts work when the key is turned. I am working on a 1256, switch # 1721 409.

Here is what is shown in the tube frame manual - hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1256 Ignition  Switch.jpg
  • 1256 Wiring Diiagram.jpg

• Deerlope, blackjackjakexxix, jpackard56 and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 01:39 AM

That is what I needed

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Some of those are wired different, depending in what type of ignition the TRA12 has. There were 2 different types of solid state ignition on the TRA's, one was with only a stator under the flywheel and the other had the stator behind the flywheel and an ignition module that was typically screwed to the blower housing. Those two had completely different wiring from the ignition switch to the ignition coil and module. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 12:40 PM

Some of those are wired different, depending in what type of ignition the TRA12 has. There were 2 different types of solid state ignition on the TRA's, one was with only a stator under the flywheel and the other had the stator behind the flywheel and an ignition module that was typically screwed to the blower housing. Those two had completely different wiring from the ignition switch to the ignition coil and module.

Yes, it is correct that the TRA12D used 2 different Solid State Ignition types. However the factory wiring from the ignition switch was the same regardless. The only wire from the factory harness that connects to any part of the ignition system is the kill wire, which connects the negative side of the coil. Wisconsin later recommended that a separate, independent kill switch be used to avoid any possible stray voltage from the original ignition switch reaching the ignition coil.
  • Bolens 1000 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 01:53 PM

If you look closely at the wiring, they are different! The wiring for the external module shows the minus (-) side of the ignition coil is tied directly to ground at the coil mount. The plus (+)  side of the coil comes from the module. I've been around and around with this on my 1256 and this is the way mine is wired. Refer to the wiring diagram in the manuals section. 

#7 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 03:34 PM

That is very interesting. I did print out a wiring dia from the manuals' section but is there more than one listed?

#8 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I believe Bud W is referring to the wiring diagram from the Wisconsin Engine Parts & Service manual, which I have attached here. It is confusing, but this wiring setup can also be used. 

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#9 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 05:56 AM

I have a trigger coil and magnetic ring but no ignition module. This 1256 has the TRA12D Wis engine.

• ClassicBolens said thank you

#10 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 11:10 AM

I have a trigger coil and magnetic ring but no ignition module. This 1256 has the TRA12D Wis engine.

Just use the diagram 29 Chev posted and you'll be fine.  

Edited by ClassicBolens, April 23, 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#11 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 02:58 PM

I am still adrift with this 1256 wiring. I see no way for that wiring diagram to work. When I turn the key on it puts power to the white wire that goes to ground near the voltage regulator and then the fuse is gone. This is a new key switch that I am using and I have read it out with a meter and all contacts make up like they should. I am at a loss on this one.

Edited by Deerlope, April 26, 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 04:51 PM

I am still adrift with this 1256 wiring. I see no way for that wiring diagram to work. When I turn the key on it puts power to the white wire that goes to ground near the voltage regulator and then the fuse is gone. This is a new key switch that I am using and I have read it out with a meter and all contacts make up like they should. I am at a loss on this one.

Is this a Genuine Bolens switch?  Last I knew there was a similar looking one in aftermarket but the internals of the switch are different . 

• Deerlope said thank you

#13 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 05:18 PM

The way I see it is when the switch is on the black to ground should make up with the black to the negative side of the coil thereby completing the circuit. When the switch is off then the contacts open and the engine shuts down.

#14 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 380 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I finally got it figured out . I had the right PN key switch but I would not work on the 1256. Thanks to Bolens 1000  I now have the right key switch and all is well in my little town. Many thanks to all who helped me.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you