• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 05:30 AM

I have a KT17 in a 317 that has been running with a weak fuel pump. This spring it wouldn't start and I am not getting fuel to the carb. What are the options for replacing/rebuilding the pump. I've seen electric pumps used, and even vacuum conversions done. The replacement plastic pumps are still pretty expensive. Are rebuild kits still out there?

#2 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 05:46 AM

I use one of these pumps on my SS16. Facet has quite a variety of pumps. Never a issue with this pump. I used it on a V6  for a while.  I have no experience with the lower buck pumps I see on ebay for $10 or $15....yet

http://www.ebay.com/...OSw9N1VsOUj

• JDBrian said thank you

#3 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:27 AM

I bought an electric pump from NAPA,  Put it on an M18.

I have been happy so far.  Rick

• JDBrian said thank you

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 838 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:32 AM

I put an electric pump (similar to the one Jazz posted) on my Craftsman lawn tractor (Kohler Magnum 18HP).  Seems to work fine except a bit prone to flooding if the key spends any time in the on position without starting the tractor.

I suspect I have a float that isn't closing and it wasn't noticeable with the mechanical pump.

• JDBrian and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Wondering where those pumps are connected at?  Off the key?  Have to make sure is running only with key on then?  kinda like an hour meter?  Do they just run all the time, or do they feel the pressure and shut-off when not needing fuel?  Can put in line near engine, or has to be by tank if in back, like a car? Stay primed? Never done a thing with electric, even on bigger machines.

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 08:35 AM

The plastic pumps are all thats available these days and no rebuild kits made for them

KT series actually has one of the cheaper priced pumps compared to the other Kohler engines

Aftermarket$ 67.00

Genuine Kohler   $ 85.00

• JDBrian and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 09:49 AM

I've use quite a few on onans  and they work well.  Less crank time too because fuel is at the carb as soon as the key is turnd on

• JDBrian and Oldford have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 10:35 AM

I think the electric pumps are the way to go.  They are not that expensive and last a long time.  One thing to be careful with is where you get your power from.  I had a Lincoln Ranger come in with an issue of running poorly or wouldn't run at all.  I discovered it was flooding so naturally I went to the float.  The owner had put an electric pump on it.  After a few hours messing with it I discovered the pump had been wired into the charging system 14 Volts which was causing the pump to put out to much pressure.  Wired it into the 12 volt system and haven't heard another word about it having an problem.

• JDBrian and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 12:36 PM

i have on/off switch on my electric.  No flooding issues if left on but will kill the battery. you learn quick to make a habit of shutting off switch, a idiot light in dash may help but I'm past that stage,,,i think

Edited by Jazz, April 19, 2016 - 12:38 PM.

• JDBrian and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 12:40 PM

Look on eBay there was a guy that was selling new old replacement stock ACDelco metal-housing fuel pumps for these engines, mechanical just like Original. I have one on a KT 19 (same part number as your KT 17 or a Magnum twin takes). Price is àbout $50. He had a lot of them 6 months ago when I got mine.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#11 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 838 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 12:51 PM

I think I paid about $35 for mine at an auto parts store several years ago.  It was an emergency pump I carried on the motorcycle until the tractor pump died.

Wondering where those pumps are connected at?  Off the key?  Have to make sure is running only with key on then?

Yes, powered from the key switch.  It doesn't seem to cycle, probably just leaks back on itself to maintain pressure.  My pump ended up below the tank level so priming isn't an issue.  I presume it would prime itself if it needed to.

• JDBrian said thank you

#12 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 12:52 PM

I ordered 4 vac. powered pumps on Amazon for $4.55 ea., free shipping from China.  Took 10 days to get here, but for under 5 bucks, what the heck.  I put one on an 18hp briggs and works great.

• JDBrian said thank you

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for alI the input guys. I may just pick up one of those facet electric pumps and wire it up. I assume you need a low pressure model so the carb won't leak. I just rebuilt the carb on that KT17 so the needle/seat should be in good shape.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Today I went to Napa and in stock they had a black pump that was 1 to 4lbs pressure. Had a filter to screw into it and other barn fitting. Ground wire and hot wire. Was bigger than expected, but had feet to mount it with, including bolts.  About $50 with taxes. SO, gonna put that on Mama's Sparkling Grandma wheelhorse with 14hp single and see if it gets me past the no start issue. Cranks like crazy, needs start fluid now to get going, runs once it pumps enough I guess. Starts most times after that if not long between them. Leave overnight and it won't go again.

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 838 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Cranks like crazy, needs start fluid now to get going, runs once it pumps enough I guess. Starts most times after that if not long between them. Leave overnight and it won't go again.

My Craftsman was like that for over a year until the pump finally completely gave out.  I learned that if I parked it with a full tank the fuel level was high enough to keep the pump wet and I had a decent chance of getting it to start the next day.