What did I buy?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 TFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82413
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 10:55 PM

What an incredible response in 24 hours. Thank you to all. I certainly do feel welcomed. I will check out the suggestions and I'm sure I will be back with more questions.
  • limebuzz said thank you

#17 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Further conversations with some other Economy tractors folks in the know seems to point to this tractor being a 1953 Country Squire.

'53 was first year for the 16" 6 on 6 rear wheels for EPCO built tractors.

'54 CS's had rounded rear fenders, not squared edges like the tractor in question.

#18 TFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82413
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Thanks,  This is awesome.  Now I know that I have a 1953 Country Squire. 

I have found a manual for the Briggs engine online in PDF format.  Best of all, it was free.  Does anyone know where I might find a manual for the tractor itself?  An online or PDF version would be fine.

Several of you told me where to find the serial number.  Just as described I found remnants of the rivets but no plate where the s/n should have been.

I believe the pitman arm and tierod were modified.  I think this because the holes were cut with a torch and are not very smooth.

I know that I am going to need to rebuild the engine, transmission (it was full of a rusty goo), and steering box (it's very difficult to turn the wheel).  I am also missing a flywheel and several clutch parts.  The rear wheels don't turn together.  This may be because of the transmission or the drive line.  The differential works "with effort" and I'm sure the band brakes will require considerable attention (I'm not familiar with these at all).  It does look like there was once a snow blade unfortunately it was long gone before I ever laid eyes on this machine.  I will start looking for specs. from original blades, if such a thing exists, and try to fabricate my own.

Someone suggested that I had been on other forums.  This is the first and only forum that I have ever signed up with, or commented on.  I signed up here because I was the most impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of the members here.  I must say I have not been disappointed.  :wave:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.  This will be a fun hobby with such good friends.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,702 Thanks
  • 28,346 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 04:14 PM

You might want to look at this manual

There's also a parts manual to 1952. Didn't see one later than that.
Probably be best if you look around and see what all is available.