• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Very Very nice. I would love to own one of those but finding one in the UK in that condition is impossible. A friend does have one like that but only cos she imported in from your side of the pond

There are later RAMs arround over here but most have been poorly looked after or people want stupid money for them

• Wrench_werks said thank you

#17 Wrench_werks OFFLINE  

Wrench_werks
  • Member No: 82406
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I had to move the bolens from its resting place for the night, my wife's Ford flex needed some exhaust work done on it so I did my usual dance of taking off the table ramps and putting on the towing bar, but then as I was backing up the cub to couple the hitch it just decided to start running like crap. So I tore the carburetor apart, cleaned every thing up real quick with a can a brake cleaner, then put it all back together and it seems to be running fine now. Must have just been a piece of dirt or debris but either way it set my progress in the garage back a good hour an a half or so. But I did manage to snap another pic of the RAM, one of the versa matic drive pulley I was asking about, and another of the cub and the RAM together to compare the size of the two.IMAG0243_zpsiarhcp2n.jpg
IMAG0244_zpshpyslai3.jpg
IMAG0245_zpsrmmytcd5.jpg
IMAG0246_zpssal4lkjl.jpg
  • Bolens800uk said thank you

#18 Wrench_werks OFFLINE  

Wrench_werks
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 10:34 PM

I also noticed that the front axle pivot looks pretty wasted, I'm sure this is very common but is there a specific way that you guys would go about repairing this or is it more of a weld the hole shut and re-drill it back out again kind of thing?

#19 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 06:56 AM

Two iconic tractors and both desirable but I would plump for the Ride a Matic just because I love 'em.

I am sure someone with more experience will help you out with your queries.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Your friction disc is worn out so for now theres no reverse. The fiber material is what catches on the engine groove to allow reverse

#21 Wrench_werks OFFLINE  

Wrench_werks
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thanks bolens 1000, after looking at it more I came to the conclusion that that is how it worked, but I also noticed that the pulleys seem to be misaligned so I'll have to address that once I get this thing running. So far it needs: compression restored, ignition parts cleaned or replaced and adjusted, the carburetor needs to be removed and soaked in hopes that everything will free up and start moving again, reverse disc,belts, a new drive chain, new front wheel bearings, repair the front axle pivot, tube all 4 tires as they are cracking and missing the valve stems, and I need to come up with some kind of hood latch system since the bungee cord isn't exactly "period correct" haha!

Edited by Wrench_werks, April 20, 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Well I can help with everything but the reverse disc, I stock all the Kohler parts and belts / bearings for these machines

I have not come across a Ride-a-Matic with a worn axle pivot so maybe one of the more experienced guys with these machines can give some advice, When I restored mine I believe they were all cast iron parts with no replaceable bushings.

As for the hood,  just put the two bolts on to the fuel tank and the hood is fixed, originally the hoods were not designed to be opened and closed on a regular basis and were bolted right down .

First I'd get the engine going before tackling the tractor to make sure everything is good internally with it and you dont need rings ect.

• wilberj said thank you

#23 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Welcome!
Looks like a nice solid tractor to make a fun project out of. I think I got a reverser disk from Bob's lawn and garden tractors (site sponsor), and I've gotten a lot of other parts for my Rideamatic and 1050 from Bolens 1000. Where in SE MI are you located?
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#24 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Also, like Brian said, I don't believe the front axle pivot has bushings in it. Although it could probably be done if it's bad.

#25 Wrench_werks OFFLINE  

Wrench_werks
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I checked out bolens 1000s' web page and I will definitely being placing some orders with him once this project gets going. My wife is throwing me a 30th 'redneck' themed party this weekend (which shouldn't be hard since I are one) so I'll be using the bolens and cub as yard ornaments for the party, but once it's over and the hang over is gone hopefully I will be able to get started. I'm not too worried about the pivot repair, I've got a nice mug welder at home and we have a machine shop where I work so once I take it apart I will be able to design the perfect repair for it, I'll likely use a bronze or vespel bushing in the redesign to make it a more serviceable part for the next time (~50 years or so from now) that it needs servicing. I like the idea of bolting it down to the tank, I need to do some sheet metal work on hood since it got dented pretty good in the area right before it meets up with the tank. I'll probably end up welding a couple of studs to the hood and weld some washers off from the front of the fuel tank so that I can secure it with nylock wing nuts for easy tool free access. I would really like to find a belly mount mowing deck for this thing, but they seem to be fairly rare. I might just have to modify an old push mower and make an attachment for it to mount to the rear hitch haha! Once I start in in it I will create a separate build thread so you guys can stay up to date with my progress and hopefully help with any questions I have along the way.

#26 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Welcome to gttalk, glad u found this site.  bunch of great folks here.

great old gt you have there, she is a keeper!

The day I turned 30 when I came home from work my street was lined with black balloons, and a sign mentioning that an old fart lives here was in the front yard.  gee I'm glad my family loves me!

#27 Wrench_werks OFFLINE  

Wrench_werks
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:06 AM

It's been a few weeks since I made my last post, but I finally found some motivation after a few beers on a rainy Friday night. I decided to figure out why the engine had no compression and also see what kind of shape the carburetor, ignition, and air filter were in. It turns out I had a stuck exhaust valve, which easily could be tapped down with a screwdriver handle, but was unable to seat under its own power. I pulled the keepers and spring off and then ran a .3125 reamer down through the guide to remove the tight spots, and now it cycles free as new. I still need to clean the rest of the cylinder up, file the intake and exhaust flanges, and remove the broken exhaust studs, but so far I've only had to invest 35$ and a few hours of my time into it and it's looking pretty promising. The magneto and coil seem to be producing spark, so a little bit of cleaning and adjusting the points and I should be set in that department. I was able to free up the choke and the throttle shaft on the carburetor and then disassemble, clean, and reassemble it using the old parts and a couple of home made gaskets (luckily this Carter uses a solid needle instead of a viton tipped one like the one on my cub). I've been slowly cleaning up all of the parts by bringing them into work and washing them in the parts washer on my breaks, so far the plan is to leave it in its original paint and get everything working well from a mechanical standpoint. I had our machinist at work cut me some new bushings for the front axle pivot, the original bushings that were welded to the frame had broken the welds loose and proceeded to bang around in their holes until so much slop had been created that the bushings started to pass through their original holes. Luckily the pins outer diameter was not damaged and the bore of the axle was still mostly intact so I drilled the frames holes to 1" and had some new bushings made to work with the new hole diameter. I also found a crack in the frame, likely from plowing with the pivot being so worn out, but since I will have the welder out to attach the new bushings with I will take care of the crack at the same time.

IMAG0312_1_zps2gafgg7s.jpg
IMAG0313_zpsm5f3obac.jpg
IMAG0314_1_zpscdz6pi6n.jpg
IMAG0315_1_zpswdjygn5j.jpg
IMAG0326_zpsivqv2gue.jpg
IMAG0327_zpsxlovxadp.jpg

IMAG0331_zpsffni4vo3.jpg
IMAG0332_zps3oo2uj4g.jpg
IMAG0333_zpsedhtxygz.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, 29 Chev and Paulgo have said thanks