Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Learned something this weekend

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 12:10 PM

I'm 69 and I have to roof my house this year. Fortunately I don't have to tear off. Now I just need to get a kid to carry bundles and fetch my hammer when I drop it.

Now, does the kid have to CATCH said hammer or just pick it off the ground.  Makes a big difference in the job description.

• HDWildBill and jpackard56 have said thanks

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 12:24 PM

I learned at age 19 that roofing was not for me. Its been almost 25 years ago and my hips hurt just thinking about it.

• propane1 said thank you

#18 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 01:48 PM

I'm 69 and I have to roof my house this year. Fortunately I don't have to tear off. Now I just need to get a kid to carry bundles and fetch my hammer when I drop it.

Have the place where you get your shingles load them on the roof it's not much extra and toss the hammer and rent an air nailer.

I will never hump a bundle up a ladder again

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#19 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 01:54 PM

The last roof I shingled was the new garage. I will not climb on a roof again to roof all day. I will help in any other way but not on the roof. I'm 67 and I have realized that the ground is harder than it was when I was 30 or 40 and the ground is farther from the roof that it used to be, plus I don't bounce well anymore. I have  a BIL that is going to re-roof his garage and home this summer and I will lend all the help and roofing nail guns I have as well as as much ground labor I can offer. Good luck to those that still climb and roof, it is a great profession to be in. It's just a young mans job now. In my humble opinion.                                                   Roger

• grnspot110, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 5 others have said thanks

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 02:56 PM

Have the place where you get your shingles load them on the roof it's not much extra and toss the hammer and rent an air nailer.

I will never hump a bundle up a ladder again

I was checking with Menards the other day and they only can put them on the first floor. And anyway,m they lift them up to the gutter and you have to hump them around where you want them. Lowes here didn't have much selection and cost more.

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 03:13 PM

When doing my roof, I bought several sets of pipe scaffolds to set up along the roof. My local lumber yard delivered the shingles to on top of the scaffolds. When we had done the plywood, I used forks on my FEL to get the ply wood up to the eves. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill, jpackard56 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#22 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 733 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Well our mind still thinks it's 25 and tells our body yeah you can do it, and off we go, then reality gives us one upside the head, or knees ,or back, or etc. an oldtimer told me two things when I started that I often revisit, one: "when you're dumb you suffer, strive not to suffer. Two: Don't worry kid what you don't have in your head you have in your feet, just realize you'll come full circle it will be in your head, you'll forget it and your feet will be called upon once again to carry the load, trouble is your old and your feet will be tired.
Can't describe getting older to where one gets the real sense of it,you can try, but all the describing others did cannot prepare you for experiencing it, said here before, getting older is not for sissy's and it's a full time commitment.
Be safe , know your limitations, it's in your head ( somewhere) be the older, wiser guy on the ground directing the work, indeed let the kids do it.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 19, 2016 - 04:32 PM.

• MH81, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#23 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I re-roofed our ranch style house around 30 years ago by myself, half on my 4 days off from the Fire Dept, the rest on my next 4 days a week later.  Now, at nearly twice the age I was then, I don't do roofs anymore!  Too much of an equilibrium problem now to do anything much above solid ground!  Me & ladders don't work well together these days!   

Fortunately (for me), hailstorms & insurance company have taken care of our last two roofing jobs!

• boyscout862, EricR, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#24 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, I will be 47 this year and when I was a lot younger I used to do a lot of roofs, now fast forward to this year and my house needs a new roof and it has 4 layers of shingles now. But I screwed up my neck when I was younger and can't do that kind of stuff anymore so a Amish crew is coming in this spring to strip and put the standing seem metal on so it should be the last time this old house should need one in my life time!!! 

• jpackard56, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I turn 60 this year, but back in the late '70s it was nothing to stock a roof up a ladder hauling bundles of 3 tabs and t-locks. We usually had a materials supplier that had a shingle ladder, but a lot of the houses we were building were up in the sticks where they couldn't get it right to the house or we were in a rural area where the suppliers didn't have the equipment.

Now I can hardly get me up an extension ladder much less hauling something. I've got some roof maintenance to do on my shop (14 foot walls, 4-12 pitch steel roof) and ain't looking forward to it.

Hope your protesting body has quieted back down Nxt2doc!

DAC

• grnspot110, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#26 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 09:10 PM

I turn 60 this year, but back in the late '70s it was nothing to stock a roof up a ladder hauling bundles of 3 tabs and t-locks. We usually had a materials supplier that had a shingle ladder, but a lot of the houses we were building were up in the sticks where they couldn't get it right to the house or we were in a rural area where the suppliers didn't have the equipment.

Now I can hardly get me up an extension ladder much less hauling something. I've got some roof maintenance to do on my shop (14 foot walls, 4-12 pitch steel roof) and ain't looking forward to it.

Hope your protesting body has quieted back down Nxt2doc!

DAC

This works better:  HPIM1217.JPG

• MFDAC, boyscout862, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 10:08 PM

No idea what you guys are talking about. I'm indestructible!

#28 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 10:18 PM

This works better:  attachicon.gifHPIM1217.JPG

Yeah that's the shingle ladder I was talking about. They were just a little more primitive looking back in the 70's. Exposed conveyor chains and a guy on the roof would help pull it up with a rope. Sometimes two guys. They weren't part of the truck back then.

DAC

#29 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:49 AM

We had a hailstorm in 2014, I hired an area roofing company to replace our 10 year old roof (from the last hailstorm).  I was in town one morning & saw this truck go through with a full load.  Got home mid-morning just as they pulled in with our shingles, told the wife at noon they'd probably be here in a day or so.  Got a call a little afternoon from the roofing company owner, said they'd be here this afternoon.  Five Mexicans pulled in at 1:30, finished the house shop & shed, including tear-off) by 9 pm!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#30 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 02:00 PM

At 71 I've come to a few hard truths about what I can and can't do. First, it's going to take twice as long to do half as much as it used to. Second, figure it out... if I want to do it, I do it. If I don't want to do it, I don't, I hire somebody. If I can't afford the hiring, there can be a line between what I want done, and what needs doing... that can be a tough one, lol. Right now my project is putting second cut slab siding on my 14'x20' chicken house. Yes, I had to hire the building done last fall. I know how to do it and could have done it, but I needed it finished before the snow flew; not a possibility for me working alone. The siding on the other hand, is something that I can handle. The 8' boards are easy peasy from the ground, and the short bits for under the eaves I can reach with a step ladder. It probably won't be pretty to watch the way I work, but it'll get done. Maybe even before the snow flies again, if I'm lucky.
  • grnspot110, KennyP, MFDAC and 6 others have said thanks