• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Well when I was about 13 my Dad started me out helping him at work. He had his own small residential construction business and did mostly roofing. I started out bucking shingled up the ladder and keeping him supplied in nails. When I had him in good shape I could grab a hammer and learn to put on shingles myself. I learned a lot and it has served me well over the years. I held part time jobs roofing to fill in gaps in the checking account on more than one occasion, helped friends and family and so on.

This weekend was a pivotal turning point in this however. A buddy on the fire Dept. was re-roofing his house. Had lots of young eager help but little experience. So off I go to this 12-12 and steeper roof that was partially a shingle over cedar shake tear off.

At about 1:00 OR 1:30 I was asking myself what in the hell I was doing. Ill be 50 this year and it appears that I have officially outgrown the young mans job of climbing around on a roof.  I'm pretty sure that even my hair hurts. What's left that is. I took off without a cap and pretty well baked my partially bald head. Every muscle in my body is protesting my stupidity. I got off the roof at 7:00 last night and showed up to work a 36 hour shift on the ambulance at 8:00.

So now I am officially old and this getting old stuff is not for the faint of heart. Oh Ill feel better in a couple of days but my glory days of doing one of the hardest physical jobs around are all done. Ill just be out by the garage piddling with my tractors and reminiscing.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 16 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Well when I was about 13 my Dad started me out helping him at work. He had his own small residential construction business and did mostly roofing. I started out bucking shingled up the ladder and keeping him supplied in nails. When I had him in good shape I could grab a hammer and learn to put on shingles myself. I learned a lot and it has served me well over the years. I held part time jobs roofing to fill in gaps in the checking account on more than one occasion, helped friends and family and so on.

This weekend was a pivotal turning point in this however. A buddy on the fire Dept. was re-roofing his house. Had lots of young eager help but little experience. So off I go to this 12-12 and steeper roof that was partially a shingle over cedar shake tear off.

At about 1:00 OR 1:30 I was asking myself what in the hell I was doing. Ill be 50 this year and it appears that I have officially outgrown the young mans job of climbing around on a roof.  I'm pretty sure that even my hair hurts. What's left that is. I took off without a cap and pretty well baked my partially bald head. Every muscle in my body is protesting my stupidity. I got off the roof at 7:00 last night and showed up to work a 36 hour shift on the ambulance at 8:00.

So now I am officially old and this getting old stuff is not for the faint of heart. Oh Ill feel better in a couple of days but my glory days of doing one of the hardest physical jobs around are all done. Ill just be out by the garage piddling with my tractors and reminiscing.

I've found a lot of things that are best left to the younger folks to do. I'm wishing for more time to spend on my tractors!

• grnspot110, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Welcome to my world.

• MH81, grnspot110, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:28 AM

You know that they say that people get pets like themselves. well, I think that the reason we get gt's is because they are like us. We use them hard one day and put them up in the garage for repairs the next three.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • grnspot110, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 5 others have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:37 AM

I started my construction business back in the early eighties. I started realizing the same thing about 10 years ago....I'm now 61. I learned to start picking & choosing what I could do. For me it actually was a relief to finally realize this point in my life of getting older & slowing down. Like mentioned tearing a GT apart is much more fun. Thanks for sharing your turning point.
  • grnspot110, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:40 AM

One word for you that I learned since I entered my 50's.  ALIEVE.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Roofing isn't fun at any age!  The physical part doesn't bother me near as bad as the freaking sun!

I remember when I was a teenager helping dad roof his garage one summer, then one half the house the next summer than the other half the house the next.  My clearest memory of those jobs was being sunburnt so bad no matter how much sun screen you put on.

• grnspot110, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Yes, I too have to let stronger and younger hands do some of the things around the farm these days. This means the boys are home and that is a real plus. Being laid up this last year when the wife handled everything also means that it has been easier to convince the wife that forcing equipment on and off tractors is HARD_work------MUCH easier to have multiple tractors and NOT change the equipment :thumbs:

• KennyP, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 08:27 AM

As Red Green would say "welcome to geezerville". We are at the point in life where we are experienced enough to reject the unimportant and be comfortable with ourselves. We are smarter(from painfull lessons) and know it is better to use the right tools than our backs. Watch some of the old Red Green shows and there is alot of wisdom in their humor.

My 22year old frequently points out that I am 64 and shouldn't be doing many of the things I do(especially cut firewood). I point out that I have already accomplished what I needed to in life and am just coasting along doing home projects. If I die over night, I've already had a long, interesting, and good life. He hasn't even learned to really live yet(except some trips we took).

Enjoy the life you have. If something can be improved, try. Otherwise, learn to be content with where you are. You'll sleep better and be happier. I'm pulling for you, we are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 4 others have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 08:35 AM

My 22year old frequently points ................... He hasn't even learned to really live yet.

So much truth in that statement!  I am still young, and still learning, but whats important and whats not has changed so much.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 18, 2016 - 08:36 AM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 09:46 AM

As has been said above I know the feeling all to well.  Time to sit back and start supervising the youngsters, it is their time to learn.

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 09:56 AM

58 years old, I helped a fella move furniture for a couple of hours yesterday, then shoveled two 10 cubic foot trailer loads of small gravel off the grass, that the snowblower put there, and put it back on to the driveway. Couldnt get all the gravel because of the grass, still two trailer loads still in the grass I figure. Sore today.

Noel
  • grnspot110, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 10:49 AM

58 years old, I helped a fella move furniture for a couple of hours yesterday, then shoveled two 10 cubic foot trailer loads of small gravel off the grass, that the snowblower put there, and put it back on to the driveway. Couldnt get all the gravel because of the grass, still two trailer loads still in the grass I figure. Sore today.

Noel

I learned that a pre-emptive beer at dinner and asprin before bed help alot to reduce pain the day after. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 18, 2016 - 10:49 AM.

• HDWildBill and propane1 have said thanks

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I'm 69 and I have to roof my house this year. Fortunately I don't have to tear off. Now I just need to get a kid to carry bundles and fetch my hammer when I drop it.

• HDWildBill, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Oh ha ha i'm olny 16 and with the job i have feel like i'm 38 with back problems

Edited by pick-to-stone, April 18, 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you