• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 02:10 PM

I've been toying with practicing Archery in my backyard. I haven't shot since Boyscout Camp. I picked up a nice bow with some arrows but no string. Yesterday, on an impulse, I bought 4 dozen, new in the box, fiberglas arrows at the tractor swap meet(everything shows up there). My son thinks that they are too short at 33". What length should I be using? I have been looking for my box of spare strings(they were on clearance for $1 each so I bought an assortment years ago when my son was shooting with scouts). Thanks, Rick 

• hamman and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 02:56 PM

I am not a pro by any means but I think your draw length sets what your arrow length should be, if it is a compound bow then the draw length will be pre set in it and should match your own.

Pete

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 04:16 PM

You can determine your draw length roughly by placing the nock on your chest and extending your arms and place your fingertips together.  When shooting a recurve bow my draw length is 26 inches while anchoring at the corner of my mouth.

I am 5 ft 8 inches and around 150 lbs.

The arrow spine(flexibility) is determined by the draw weight of the bow.

There are archery sites that will explain all this better and have charts to guide you on draw length, arrow spine,string length, etc.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 17, 2016 - 04:23 PM.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Go to an actual archery shop. When I was shooting bows a decent amount I went to cabellas and they measured and cut me arrows to fit my draw lenght and sized to my bow.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 pick-to-stone ONLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 11:37 AM

Your lucky i have no bow now brock the practice bow and im no longer left eye domanite

Edited by pick-to-stone, April 18, 2016 - 11:39 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • Member No: 80494
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 07:47 AM

What kind of bow do you have? Recurve or compound? If compound, do not attempt to shot those fiberglass arrows unless you want some of that fiberglass in your arm!

You can also measure your draw by using a length of string held in the crook of your thumb and pointer on your weak hand and then mock draw to your anchor point (I use the corner of my mouth). Measure the distant between the two.

#7 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Arrows have a "spine". If they aren't strong enough for the draw weight of your bow, then at best you will shoot erratically. At worst, the arrow will shatter in front of your face.

Go to a bow shop and have them set you up properly for both the draw weight and your draw length. Draw length is affected by your rest, too.

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 07:49 PM

It has been said before (and this is an old thread)... go the a bow shop and get measured, and bring your bow. You didnt mention the brand of bow or the age. All the moving parts wear out and effect accuracy. A cheap bow will shoot like a cheap bow, no matter how much money you put in it.