• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:22 AM

I cleaned the heavily varnished carb off my Wisconsin by soaking in straight Seafoam.

Mike

• hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:57 AM

figured it was nasty but it worked great! Did you use it before too?

Nope. I'm the lucky sob who gets to chase it and try and clean it up.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

#18 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:33 PM

That purple power stuff works pretty darn good for loosening up nasty junk in old carbs.After you soak it in that Boiling in slightly soapy water for 20-30 minutes will remove the rest of the junk.

Been thinking of making a small pressurized steam cleaner for carb cleaning.Something with interchangeable nozzles that will fit into those really small holes in carburetors.Super Hot soapy water will remove everything without harming the metal.I have a handheld wallpaper steamer that I used for removing old wallpaper when I was still doing construction.That might be the ticket.

#19 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:14 PM

I know from working in the electronics industry if it has Trichloroethylene you better find some way to get rid of it. That stuff is very dangerous to your health. One place that I worked at used it to clean circuit boards of all resins after the assembly was completed. After it was used they would distill it to clean it for reuse, ever so often the still would boil over & fumes would fill the plant. This would make you extremely high for about 1/2 hour then the headache would come. These headache could be extreme enough that you would want to cut your head off to get rid of the pain & would last from 1/2 hour to an hour & 1/2 with nothing to ease the pain. After being exposed to this many times the headache would not be as bad but still there. 

Charlie

#20 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:36 PM

I'd like to find more of it ! It worked great!
  • hamman said thank you

#21 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I know from working in the electronics industry if it has Trichloroethylene you better find some way to get rid of it. That stuff is very dangerous to your health. One place that I worked at used it to clean circuit boards of all resins after the assembly was completed. After it was used they would distill it to clean it for reuse, ever so often the still would boil over & fumes would fill the plant. This would make you extremely high for about 1/2 hour then the headache would come. These headache could be extreme enough that you would want to cut your head off to get rid of the pain & would last from 1/2 hour to an hour & 1/2 with nothing to ease the pain. After being exposed to this many times the headache would not be as bad but still there. 

Charlie

We used Trichlore in a window manufacturing plant for many years.Used it for the final cleaning of the frames.It would just about follow your hand evaporating.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#22 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:39 PM

I agree with wrenchinOnit my BIL has one and it does a marvelous job cleaning carbs great tool.

#23 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:28 PM

To say one method is superior to another is an assumption and we all know what assumptions are like. I do disagree with saying that if something can kill you it should be banned, that is just down right ridiculous almost everything will be banned in that way of thinking. We live in this great country where it should be left up to you to be safe when using dangerous things. The way society is heading I guess no one should do anything as someone might get hurt.
  • Bolens 1000 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#24 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 08:55 PM

The problem with Trichloroethylene is not when it is in a liquid state, it is when it is sprayed into air where the problem comes from. If you are spraying it to use as a cleaner make sure there is plenty of air movement around you. I have not shown any side affects from being exposed to it but know of a few that are no longer with us because of the exposure to it in the air.

Charlie

• Tecumseh power said thank you