23 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:15 AM

What do you guys use when you need something strong, seems all this new stuff is weak junk. I have an lme that sat for 30 years with gas in it so the inside of it is that solid black varnish a quarter inch thick. Don't want to toss this carb. I know it can be fixed if I find the right cleaner. The stuff I have used before the new carb soak gallon jugs I know won't clean this mess
  • hamman, mariannebc18 and latoyatd3 have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:37 AM

thank the EPA for both the formulation of gas that causes a lot of the mess and the taming down of the cleaners that won't clean it anymore either

• Bolens 1000, hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:41 AM

I use lacquer thinner to clean carbs off of dozer that have been sitting for twenty years as they were left when they broke down. I soak them in a ultrasonic bath with lacquer thinner overnight and then use compressed air and tiny brushes and wire cleaners. This method has not let me down yet. You can find old school ultrasonic cleaners online sometimes, don't buy the new ones they are junk and barely even get things vibrating. My unit was built for the medical field in the late sixties and will rattle your fingernails and teeth out if you look at it long enough.
  • Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I use lacquer thinner to clean carbs off of dozer that have been sitting for twenty years as they were left when they broke down. I soak them in a ultrasonic bath with lacquer thinner overnight and then use compressed air and tiny brushes and wire cleaners. This method has not let me down yet. You can find old school ultrasonic cleaners online sometimes, don't buy the new ones they are junk and barely even get things vibrating. My unit was built for the medical field in the late sixties and will rattle your fingernails and teeth out if you look at it long enough.

I used to have this stuff my dad got from the military that they made in the 60s called carbon cleaner it was for carbs they banned it and gathered it all up. My dad got a couple gallon before they took it. It looked like motor oil. It worked amazing. It stunk to high heaven but you could throw a carb in it and it would come out like new. It ate though the jug I had it in for ten years . Can't buy nothing good that works anymore. I was thinking of trying lacquer thinner. Thanks
  • hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:51 AM

I used to have this stuff my dad got from the military that they made in the 60s called carbon cleaner it was for carbs they banned it and gathered it all up. My dad got a couple gallon before they took it. It looked like motor oil. It worked amazing. Thanks

It contained TCE's. Trichloroethylene, industrial degreaser and cleaner used by the military thru the 60's. Weighs over 100 grams per molecule, but is soluable in water. Nearly impossible to clean up once in the groundwater. Known carcinogen, to the Nth degree.
  • hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:53 AM

lacquer thinner works well, I also have had good luck with acetone.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:54 AM

We still used that product ten years ago, I won't name it as it is banned from use and carries a hefty fine if you get caught. I would know as my unit had to pay that fine due to some activist with a telephoto lens on a camera, unbelievable the lengths some vegan jobless tool will go to get a picture of my gorgeous mug! That stuff will strip the paint off your buddies jalopie in seconds.
  • MH81, hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:05 AM

I often use old stale gas to soak and loosen gum in carbs. I then use a vinegar and water solution to soak for an hour or two to remove corrosion. The vinegar can eat into the pot metal petty fast so be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:06 AM

" MECHANIC IN A BOTTLE " !  Tried it after seeing it at the local SES and listening to the lead tech telling how well it works. Bought a bottle with the guarantee of double my money back if it didn't work. Used it on every small engine I have. It works. Pulled a Murray mower out of the weeds after sitting there for nearly 15 years. Drained water out of tank, changed oil, fixed recoil and put in fresh gas and MIAB, replaced plug, pulled on choke 4 times and left it set overnight. Went out next day and pulled it twice and it started and ran. Still runs today. I used NAPA carb cleaner before that.  Good luck.                                                Roger

• limebuzz, MH81, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:06 AM

It contained TCE's. Trichloroethylene, industrial degreaser and cleaner used by the military thru the 60's. Weighs over 100 grams per molecule, but is soluable in water. Nearly impossible to clean up once in the groundwater. Known carcinogen, to the Nth degree.

figured it was nasty but it worked great! Did you use it before too?
  • hamman said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Here is a patent of one of the older ones.
Bottom of page 4 has the formula

http://patentimages....s/US2509197.pdf
  • ducky, hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:23 AM

We used this stuff to clean and rebuild IBM printheads @ my previous job..  That stuff was NASSSSS-TTTT!!

A few carbs found their way into the tank from time to time as well!   :watch_over_fence:

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:28 AM

I use BTS brand carb cleaner , I dont know if its available everywhere but its not CARB approved which basically means it actually works!

It will take paint right off a machine so be careful where you spray the stuff. On a carb thats really bad I'll empty a can or two into a coffee can and let the carb soak a few hours.

I'd sell you some but I dont know if you can ship that stuff USPS ????

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:29 AM

I've always used Laquer thinner too. Asitone is about same thing.  I have had to chip out that varnish like stuff tho in bottom of bowl, nothing seems to eat that. Chip out with screwdriver or awl, once loose at edge, usually breaks out. That won't help in the little ports, but not so sure it is really in them. Collects in bottom of bowl from gas sitting long time, probly dries quick in other places and not a problem?  Have to pull all the rubbers and plastics off don't forget, they will soften or melt if not off. 

I worked at Dana for a few years in the gear department. They had to wash gear sets to remove lapping compound and bring into the test shed at times to check if running good. The gears were washed in Tri-Chlor I'm thinking?  Was clear like water, took all grease and dirt off instantly. We all washed up in it all the time, like before lunch and such.  Both my Brother who worked there and myself have had Cancer and other problems, wonder if from that?  I always wished I could buy some back then when in shop, but wasn't long after they banned it's sale.

• hamman, Eric and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#15 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:59 AM

I have a "new" ultrasonic cleaner I disagree with your assessment all new ones are junk, as in all things you get what you pay for, most can't justify the cost for a good one because of the expense. I soak 24 hrs in Berryman dip (not what it once was) and then 20 minutes in the ultrasonic (sometimes I double the cycle) I use a solution of Simple Green Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner. The ultrasonic vibrates the work bench and you need tongs to get the carb out, no wire brushes ,no overnighter, no missed nooks and crannies , dry it with the heat gun reassemble and they are ready to go. I'm old enough and had the misfortune of working in some nasty places that used nasty stuff and exsisted before DEP regs , I'm not a tree hugger but stuff that can kill you should be banned,  always use rubber or nitrile gloves when working with cleaning chems , other than ingesting it no quicker way to get it in your body that skin absorption.  

" MECHANIC IN A BOTTLE " !  Tried it after seeing it at the local SES and listening to the lead tech telling how well it works. Bought a bottle with the guarantee of double my money back if it didn't work. Used it on every small engine I have. It works. Pulled a Murray mower out of the weeds after sitting there for nearly 15 years. Drained water out of tank, changed oil, fixed recoil and put in fresh gas and MIAB, replaced plug, pulled on choke 4 times and left it set overnight. Went out next day and pulled it twice and it started and ran. Still runs today. I used NAPA carb cleaner before that.  Good luck.                                                Roger

Yup have had great success with this product, but sometimes a carb is too far gone for it.

• hamman and EricFromPa have said thanks