Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How do you keep garden tools from rusting?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:51 PM

hello , i use an used oil .

Welcome to GT Talk. Trying to figure out where you are.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I seem to store my plows different every year, this year they are ALL outide in a shed addition sittiong on roofing shingle scrap to keep them off the dirt lol. And no, I did not clean, oil, lube, or paint them either. I need to locate a place (after the Caterpillar is working again) so turn turn all day long and shine all my plows so I can store them properly.

#18 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 04:58 PM

It was always my job to grease everything with old gun grease as a boy (long time ago)! :(

I tried the 'waxy' plow coat for a while, didn't like it. Now I use the cheapest flat black spray paint I can find, flat black seems to come off easier when I start plowing again. ~~ grnspot

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:40 PM

[quote name='grnspot110']It was always my job to grease everything with old gun grease as a boy (long time ago)! :(

LG, I guess I always just figured the moldboards were made of wood and you stored them in your cave when you were young.

:bigrofl: :poke: :smile1:

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 06:57 AM

[quote name='Gtractor'][quote name='grnspot110']It was always my job to grease everything with old gun grease as a boy (long time ago)! :(

LG, I guess I always just figured the moldboards were made of wood and you stored them in your cave when you were young.

:bigrofl: :poke: :smile1:[/QUOTE]
That's why he spends so much time in the man cave. Old habits are hard to break.

#21 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 07:34 AM

[quote name='Gtractor'][quote name='grnspot110']It was always my job to grease everything with old gun grease as a boy (long time ago)! :(

:bigrofl: :poke: :smile1:[/QUOTE]

Close, but not quite that old, just feel like it most of the time! :D

#22 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

Dirtdoc

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 10:57 PM

I use soft black paint. It stays on for years and comes off very quickly in the soil. It has no hardener it which is why it comes off quickly....Greg

#23 rbhoover OFFLINE  

rbhoover

• Member No: 5486
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 08:04 PM

On the farm we used old oil sprayed out of a cheapo spray gun (use a large tip 2.2mm) bought from Harbor Freight... works pretty well!

#24 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:08 PM

I hava a couple pails of sand, and after i change the oil in one of my garden tractors i just dump it in there, mix it up and leave it there till spring.I've done that for years.

#25 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 01:17 PM

I use Slip-plate or some other graphite based paint on my plow. It lasts forever & dirt
doesn't stick unless it is too wet.

#26 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Depends on where it is going to be stored.

Stuff that will be out of the elements (inside or under cover) usually just spray with PB Blaster or WD40, or similar.

If it is gonna be out in the weather, cheap spray paint for blades and stuff that is gonna be polished clean when I use it again, or "real paint" (touchup) for those surfaces that the paint normally doesn't get worn off of. For example, I usually pressure clean and paint the underside of my mower decks before putting them away for the winter...

I usually keep matching color spray paint around for my equipment. If I have an "incident" (scratch the tractor or something that usually has paint on it), will do a quick coverup to protect the booboo from rust at the end of the day, then when I get a chance (after a few "incidents"), will get out the touchup gun and put a good coat of paint on it.

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 12:51 AM

Depends. I like air tool oil for a lot of applications because it's light and won't damage rubber and plastic components. For things likely to be in contact with the ground, I use canola oil because it's bio-degradable and I really don't want fossil fuel residue on my veggies.

#28 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 09:48 PM

I don't personally do it, but an Uncle of mine used beeswax. Of course, he was a beekeeper and had tons of it around, heat it up and brush it on. Myself, I keep the implements in a shed over the winter and what little surface rust appears goes away in a couple passes. Couple more passes and the plow shines like a mirror.