• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • Member No: 82245
  • 65 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:47 PM

My MF10 may be in need of a new charging system, rebuild generator or replace, as it seems to not be charging. I haven't had a chance to run it for much more than 30 minutes at a time and it doesn't seem to take any charge while running. I know generators are slower than alternators but seems it should be getting "some" charge while running. Not high priority at the moment but when the time comes to tackle this issue I'm wondering about replacing the generator with an alternator. I know my father has a MF 135 tractor that had a bad generator that he replaced with an alternator off an old GM (build in regulator) and I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried/ had success with a similar swap on our smaller rigs. Thinking it's probably be more work than necessary as (to my understanding) I'd also be looking at a new starter setup as well, but just figured I'd tap into the collective knowledge here on the topic.
Thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:19 PM

I believe your MF10 has a Starter/Generator in it, 1 unit does both starter motor and generator. They actually work pretty good and can easily charge the battery with the lights on.

If yours is not charging I'd check the wiring first, connections, then the regulator. 

I personally prefer the early S/G over the later ring gear starter' and alternator setup.

• boyscout862, MolonLabe and Bluenoser have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Any alternator will work, I'd go with the smallest one you can find.

The more power it makes the more engine power it takes. Depending on the style of alternator, a voltage regulator/rectifier may be required. A small GM alternator has an internal rectifier, regulator so the wiring is simpler. However, an alternator needs a switched power supply from the battery to make electricity, a generator does not.

It's easy enough to build a bracket for the alternator, You will need one with a v-belt pulley, instead the common serpentine belt ribbed pulleys (You can change them out if you know how). Then you will need to run a wire from the switched side of the ignition to the field terminal of the alternator. The rest of the wiring is pretty much the same as stock.

Take a look at the OEM drive speed for the alternator compared to your Rated engine speed and adjust pulley sizes to get the rpm you need. Be aware, faster means more power and more drag.

you can slow down the alternator a bit if it takes too much power
  • MolonLabe and Bluenoser have said thanks

#4 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Dh1 has a point, I was unaware this was a Starter/generator setup.

It may be just a wiring issue if the starter works
  • boyscout862 and Bluenoser have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 03:46 AM

If it's a starter/generator, it will have a regulator too. Take the cover off the regulator and check in there for corrosion. There's points in there that can be cleaned.

Noel
  • boyscout862, MolonLabe and Bluenoser have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:55 AM

The S/G can easily be rebuilt it that is the problem.

• MolonLabe and Bluenoser have said thanks

#7 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 09:19 AM

This service manual is the only one I've seen with a section on the starter/generator

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Garry

• limebuzz, MolonLabe and Bluenoser have said thanks

#8 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • Member No: 82245
  • 65 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, I'd kind of prefer to keep the original system but my father had mentioned how he set his 35 up and figured I'd ask. The wiring all looks good but the regulator looks like its been beat on so maybe I'll check that out if I get a chance this weekend. Are kits available for a rebuild if the generator's the culprit?
  • propane1 said thank you