7 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:13 PM

I had the great fortune of being able to attend Daniel's plow day back on the 1st.  I was also fortunate to have one tractor and plow combination that worked great right from the start.

This Is The Story of The Other Plow:

The other tractor/plow combination struggled.  Initially, the plow didn't want to dig in properly, and because the landside didn't have a good furrow, the plow wanted to pull all the way to the left but only going down an inch or so mostly at the point.  I tried some adjustments, and got a bit better bite, but it still wasn't working well at all.  I asked for advice from other plowers who were most helpful.  When I got back to the truck to put their ideas into practice, I found my biggest problem.  I had a "D" ring clevis hooked to the Massey's rear hitch, and it was interfering intermittently with the sleeve hitch. 

"Aha!" I thought, fix that and all my trouble will disappear.  So I pulled off the "D" ring Clevis and sure enough I began to get more consistent results, though still not the depth I wanted - 2-3 inches instead of 4-5.  Though the rest of the day I adjusted here, and adjusted there, moving the sleeve hitch down and back up again, adjusting the depth control.  Nothing had much effect on the depth the plow was running.  

It wasn't until I got home and unloaded the two plow and looked at them side by side that I began to realize some of the problems I was facing.   This plow was the one that worked well:

Plow 002.JPG

This one was the one that just wouldn't go deeper:

Plow 001.JPG

Notice the difference in the shape of the points?  Also, I had never realized how much the "heel" ?  was hanging out away from the moldboard.  Not having grown up with moldboards, I simply hadn't looked closely and compared these two, even though they are stored side by side.

So I ordered a new plow share from Brinley.  Not cheap, but the best way I knew to salvage the plow.  The new share was a better match for the moldboard length, as well as having a much better defined "point".

Plow 003.JPG

Plow 004.JPG

Plow 005.JPG

I originally intended to simply paint the moldboard to prevent rust, but one thing led to another, suddenly the wire brush was running amok on the plow beam as well, and - well - Pictures speak a thousand words:

Plow 006.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 15, 2016 - 07:14 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, TheFarm2004 and 14 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:32 PM

I had the great fortune of being able to attend Daniel's plow day back on the 1st.  I was also fortunate to have one tractor and plow combination that worked great right from the start.

This Is The Story of The Other Plow:

The other tractor/plow combination struggled.  Initially, the plow didn't want to dig in properly, and because the landside didn't have a good furrow, the plow wanted to pull all the way to the left but only going down an inch or so mostly at the point.  I tried some adjustments, and got a bit better bite, but it still wasn't working well at all.  I asked for advice from other plowers who were most helpful.  When I got back to the truck to put their ideas into practice, I found my biggest problem.  I had a "D" ring clevis hooked to the Massey's rear hitch, and it was interfering intermittently with the sleeve hitch. 

"Aha!" I thought, fix that and all my trouble will disappear.  So I pulled off the "D" ring Clevis and sure enough I began to get more consistent results, though still not the depth I wanted - 2-3 inches instead of 4-5.  Though the rest of the day I adjusted here, and adjusted there, moving the sleeve hitch down and back up again, adjusting the depth control.  Nothing had much effect on the depth the plow was running.  

It wasn't until I got home and unloaded the two plow and looked at them side by side that I began to realize some of the problems I was facing.   This plow was the one that worked well:

attachicon.gifPlow 002.JPG

This one was the one that just wouldn't go deeper:

attachicon.gifPlow 001.JPG

Notice the difference in the shape of the points?  Also, I had never realized how much the "heel" ?  was hanging out away from the moldboard.  Not having grown up with moldboards, I simply hadn't looked closely and compared these two, even though they are stored side by side.

So I ordered a new plow share from Brinley.  Not cheap, but the best way I knew to salvage the plow.  The new share was a better match for the moldboard length, as well as having a much better defined "point".

attachicon.gifPlow 003.JPG

attachicon.gifPlow 004.JPG

attachicon.gifPlow 005.JPG

I originally intended to simply paint the moldboard to prevent rust, but one thing led to another, suddenly the wire brush was running amok on the plow beam as well, and - well - Pictures speak a thousand words:

attachicon.gifPlow 006.JPG

I think that may help with the depth issue!

• wvbuzzmaster, HowardsMF155, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Looking great Howard. Glad you found a problem that can cause troubles.
  • HowardsMF155, jpackard56 and BTS have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:39 PM

I plowed with my ferguson tractor and plow in a plow match once, and finished last. The next year I put new points on the plow, and came in second. Points make a big difference.

Noel.
  • HowardsMF155, CRFarnsworth, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:22 PM

Good Stuff on figuring out why the plow not working to good, now you have to goto another plowday and really test it. :thumbs:

• HowardsMF155, jpackard56 and BTS have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 11:24 PM

Looks like a real improvement
  • wvbuzzmaster, HowardsMF155, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:15 AM

Good Stuff on figuring out why the plow not working to good, now you have to goto another plowday and really test it. :thumbs:

Absolutely!  Just need to find one in North Carolina or nearby and fix some issues that cropped up on both tractors.

• DH1, jpackard56 and BTS have said thanks

#8 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:55 PM

I had a very late notice opportunity to attend a Tractor Show and Plow Day in Salemburg NC which was being held to raise funds to support the local food bank.  I took the 12 Gear Massey and the plow with the new plow point.  We had substantial amounts of rain overnight and I doubted we would plow, so when I arrived my daughter and I toured the displays first to see what was there.   

Howard's Phone 044.jpg

Howard's Phone 048.jpg Howard's Phone 069.jpg

Howard's Phone 070.jpg Howard's Phone 050.jpg

Howard's Phone 054.jpg Howard's Phone 055.jpg

I truly enjoyed seeing this line-up of Masseys, and would have loved to put one of my better looking GTs in the line-up, but the 12 G is more of a survivor in work cloths at the end of a long day, not a beauty queen.  There were a number of John Deere tractors, several IH and a few others which escape me.  Not one single Ford that I recall, and not one true GT, though there was a Cub Lawnboy.

Shortly after we saw the Big Articulated IH - with home built 8-10 share moldboard with depth regulated by depth wheels, he cranked up and headed to the field to see if he could begin plowing.  Another more traditional IH joined him, and after I watched a few passes I decided to join in myself.

Howard's Phone 058.jpg Howard's Phone 059.jpg

Howard's Phone 062.jpg

It was great!  I had already flattened the plow quite a bit in anticipation and still had to continue to flatten the plow.  I settled on a depth of around 3-4 inches as the soil was sandy but very wet.  The plow was digging so well, the heel was actually all the way down at the bottom of the furrow and would leave a little track from time to time.

My daughter had gone with me and plowed sitting in my lap for the first 45 minutes.  It was rather rough going for a GT as in addition to being sandy AND wet, the field had also been worked over by a disk or something similar.  I stayed away from the big boys, grabbed a small corner of the field for myself.  After we had lunch, I left my daughter resting in the truck while I went back and plowed some more.  I didn't take any pictures, and the two short videos I took seem to have been damaged when they were downloaded to Windows.

• coldone, esbbent, wvbuzzmaster and 6 others have said thanks