Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Satoh question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:45 AM

As many of you know, my plow tractor is a Satoh Beaver affectionately known as "the Beav".  This little tractor is a beast of a machine and can power through just about anything.  In short, you just wouldn't believe some of the things I do with this tractor.  Well the Beav is getting to the point where I might actually have to do some heavier maintenance on it.  Since 1978 it's been nothing but oil, filters and one new set of glow plugs.  You just can't ask for a better return for your money.  Heck it still has the original fan belt (although I do have a new one that travels with me to plow days.)

Anyway, I think the Beav might be in need of a new clutch.  Parts are no problem.  What I need is to pick the brain of someone who has done this before.  I hear its no big deal but I get a little standoffish with this tractor because, well, I don't want to screw it up as I depend on it for much more than plowing.  If worse comes to worst, I'll purchase a shop manual but they are over $100 for a copy, not even an original.  Anyone own one of these that may have done this job before and can tell be what to watch out for?  What to do/not to do?

• TheFarm2004, MH81, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:58 AM

I had one of those years ago, but sold it before I did much to it. Was a tough little tractor, though.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Should be pretty straight forward

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Should be pretty straight forward

It probably is for the most part.  The only thing I am hung up on right now is the fact that there is hard piping for the hydraulic supply and return line going from the front of the tractor to the rear.  When I split this thing, I will have to contend with how and where I can disconnect those without doing any damage.  I'm probably making more out of this than I need to but I want to be prepared.  The fellow who sold these tractors new (and lived right beside us) had finally retired and moved to a nursing home so I can't just run up the road and get parts and advice if I run into trouble.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:21 AM

You better have it back together for plow day.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:27 AM

You better have it back together for plow day.

Not doing anything for sure until after plow day.  I did adjust it so it should be ok for that.  Been making me think now for a couple of years but it keeps on chugging.  one of these days its going to force my hand.  I just hope it doesn't start a trend of needing fixed.  You know, how you're perfectly healthy until you go to the doctor, then you have something wrong the rest of your life?  Yeah, like that.

• MH81 and Username have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:51 AM

It probably is for the most part.  The only thing I am hung up on right now is the fact that there is hard piping for the hydraulic supply and return line going from the front of the tractor to the rear.  When I split this thing, I will have to contend with how and where I can disconnect those without doing any damage.  I'm probably making more out of this than I need to but I want to be prepared.  The fellow who sold these tractors new (and lived right beside us) had finally retired and moved to a nursing home so I can't just run up the road and get parts and advice if I run into trouble.

No, but you can go visit him and ask for issues you should be aware of in advance.
He probably would welcome the shop talk over the daily bingo tourney

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 11:36 AM

No, but you can go visit him and ask for issues you should be aware of in advance.
He probably would welcome the shop talk over the daily bingo tourney

True.  He is in the same home as my dad, just not the same building.  You have to understand this place.  It should have its own zip code.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Ah, I know the kind of facility

#10 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Looks to be close to the setup of the Kubota B7100 other than the Hydro line you speak of.Its really simple on the Kubota with some jack stands and a good jack.

Edited by Auburn David, April 15, 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 01:11 PM

The piping I am talking about shows up in the attached picture.  Just ahead of the brake pedals.  One goes up over the oil filter and the smaller one goes under.  I haven't have a ton of time to really look at this.  I'm sure there is a place to disconnect.  I'll just have to be careful because which ever end I take off, I'll have a lot of pipe hanging out.

WOOD 1.JPG

• Dieselcubmike and Auburn David have said thanks