Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

L111 - What controls the carb. solenoid on the bowl?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PittsburghKnights OFFLINE  

PittsburghKnights
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 82319
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Hi all!  Thanks for having this forum, I'm really glad to get some outside perspective on my engine problem.  

My John Deere L111 has been running very rough.  We took the gas out and put new gas in, cleaned the carburetor, put in new gaskets and a new float, etc.  I sprayed the solenoid on the bottom of the Carburetor bowl really good too... Put it back together And it still runs exactly the same as before.  

(The gas cap is venting well.  The gas pump seems to be delivering enough fuel, and the fuel filter is not clogged.)

Sometimes it seems like it's not getting enough gas, sometimes it seems like it's getting way too much gas.  Sometimes I have to leave the choke on all the way to get it to run, sometimes the choke has to be all the way off.  Lately, it just keeps limping along, with the throttle all the way up, and it barely keeps itself running, It's putting out a little bit of smoke and smells really rich...

So, I was fiddling with the wires to the solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl, and I disconnected the wires, and then the engine started to run perfectly fine full speed for about 5 seconds!!! Then started to die.  So I plugged the solenoid in, and it ran amazing for another 5 seconds then started to die.... I'm wondering... Is the solenoid bad, or is it possible that the thing controlling the solenoid went bad?  I'm leaning towards the thing controlling the solenoid... But then, what do I know.

What is it that actually controls this little solenoid on the bottom of the carb. bowl?  I think it might be the black box circled in the picture below... What is it?  Does that control the solenoid?

How to test these two things?

THANKS for helping me out!

Make: John Deere 
Model: L111
Year: ?2007?
Serial number: (Some manufacturers have rolling revisions)
Make and model of Sub assembly Briggs Vtwin 20HP
Engine: Briggs and Stratton 406577-0139-E1    Code 050304YG

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160414_213941.jpg
  • 20160414_213838.jpg
  • 20160414_213931.jpg
  • 20160414_213915.jpg

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Welcome to the forum. My guess would be the float is too high or sticking. The solenoid closes the main jet when it's unplugged. Sounds like the carb is running too rich and when you unplug it, it leans out and runs good. Then when it gets too lean and starts to die, you plug it in and it gets gas to run until it loads up enough to be a problem and the vicious cycle repeats.

• Alc, old coot and PittsburghKnights have said thanks

#3 PittsburghKnights OFFLINE  

PittsburghKnights
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the insight... to solve the problem do I take it apart again and do another cleaning?  I put in a new float... didn't seem to solve the issue.  Maybe I got the wrong float for this carb?  Any suggestions welcome...  This is my first time trying to clean a carb.  

Edited by PittsburghKnights, April 14, 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#4 JD318420 OFFLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 10:40 PM

The float is usually attached to the inlet valve, make sure that the valve is not sticking or binding up.

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 11:37 PM

Having the same problem but mine will only run with choke on. Tried a different carb same story. It surges when I turn the choke off. I'm thinking it's in the electric solenoid also.
  • PittsburghKnights said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:20 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• PittsburghKnights said thank you

#7 PittsburghKnights OFFLINE  

PittsburghKnights
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Having the same problem but mine will only run with choke on. Tried a different carb same story. It surges when I turn the choke off. I'm thinking it's in the electric solenoid also.

What controls this solenoid?

Taking my carb out again now to clean the float, etc.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#8 JD318420 OFFLINE  

JD318420
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 11:53 AM

The solenoid is controlled by the key switch usually on most small tractors, the bigger tractors have an electronics box that it is hooked to.

#9 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 03:13 PM

Im not an expert on this particular engine, or the tractor, but the one picture looks like a solenoid.

Make sure to check for power going in, and coming out of that, while your in there it wouldn't take about 2 seconds to check the fuse that's right next to the solenoid.

I had a Honda with that same electronic carb,that did the same exact thing you described. Every year in the spring, id have to tap on it with a light wrench to get it working. After the attitude adjustment with the wrench, it always cleared up. Fwiw, i never opened the carb once, and i never use ethonal blended gas!!!
Cheers

Edited by stiemmy, April 15, 2016 - 03:16 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 PittsburghKnights OFFLINE  

PittsburghKnights
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 03:24 PM

What controls this solenoid?

Taking my carb out again now to clean the float, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help. its now fixed!!! Runs smooth as silk.

#11 JD318420 OFFLINE  

JD318420
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 05:30 PM

So what fixed the problem? a re clean and checking float/inlet valve?

#12 aaarrr OFFLINE  

aaarrr
  • Member No: 82902
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 12:35 PM

If you suspect a bad carburetor selenoid you can remove and replace it with a very short 8mm-1.0 metric bolt to see if it will run properly. If it runs good and you are getting electric to the selenoid when the key is in the on position it is probably a bad selenoid.