engine mount metal adhesive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69513
  • 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 01:37 PM

I have a B&S 14.5 OHV engine that has a crack in one of the 4 engine mount areas. I ran it all last year like this maybe with a bolt, washer and nut - I forget. But the bolt backed out and now I am wondering if I can get a new bolt, locking washer and nut with the addition of using adhesive to secure it. I am trying to picture the best way to do this. The bolts are 3/8-16 x 1.5 in. Maybe use extra washers between the bolt head and the chassis frame? It is only one mount area that has the crack in it. The engine runs fine. So the question is using extra washers, adhesive  and whatever what would be the best way to secure this? I don't care if the engine is permanently "glued" to the frame.

Any ideas?

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,102 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Use tread locker or nylon locking nuts.

• HDWildBill, Sawdust, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:31 PM

You say cracked(as in not broken off)?  if so you might be able to use epoxy.

Do you have the equipment to JB Weld it solidly then drill and retap it?

Maybe epoxy a plug in and drill and tap the hole.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 14, 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 214 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:33 PM

If you want it to last pull the engine and weld the cracks. Otherwise, If you can , stop drill the cracks and do as propane1 says to assure that the bolt stays tight.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,345 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 05:03 PM

The engine casting is broken, or the tractor mount spot?  Would think if engine, will just be breaking off with right shake.  Don't think adhesives are gonna do much there with high stress and vibration.  If just wanting a bolt to stay in place, use those nylon imbedded  but metal lock-nuts. I have even bought those real thin backing nuts for locking reg nuts or even these lock nuts. Think called Jamb nuts.  You use them with the reg nut and jamb them tight to each other.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 14, 2016 - 05:04 PM.

• VTXrider said thank you

#6 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 02:30 AM

Cracked engine mount

Thanks to all who have replied. I uploaded an image indicating where the crack in the engine mount area is. I can't see this view since the engine is mounted. Also I am not sure if the crack actually extends down the full height of the engine mount hole. Meaning if the height of the mount is say 1/2" I am not sure if the crack is 1/4" or 3/8" or the full 1/2". 

• propane1 said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,515 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:17 AM

Sometimes the quick & easy fix will make it worse down the road. Right now the crack sounds minor & could easily be welded. If it breaks off later could possibly enter the sump area or be a larger repair job. We all do what we can at the moment so like mentioned use thread locker & the plastic lock nuts. If you could like you mentioned put a 3/8 washer on top of a 1/2 washer to cover as much of the crippled area you can. You might have to grind off part of the 1/2 washer to get it to fit close to the block. Hope it goes well.

#8 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thanks to all that gave feedback! For now i went with thread sealant and nylon locking nuts. With one hour usage so far everything is holding together.

• propane1 said thank you