• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Last fall I bought a Cover It 12' x 24' pipe frame garage. The canvas was ripped in several places. It was 17 years old but the guy said that he had bought the extra heavy duty cover. A roll of 3" Gorilla Tape and I was able to repair the cover. A new 20' by 30' tarp over the cover kept it dry inside all winter. Total cost for the 12' x 24' dry storage area was $120 and 8 hours of my time. That included taking down the frame last fall and erecting it here.

Last Saturday, I ran into a guy up the road from me(at the transfer station which is our social center). He gave me a 10' x 20' Cover It garage that had a bent frame and disintergated top. It took 4 hours to disassemble it(many rusted bolts and distorted tubes. I figure to spend  2 hours to straighten the tubes(on my welding table) and three to set it up. For the summer, I will cover it with a 16' x 20' tarp. I figure 10 hours and $12 for this shelter.

I am pointing these experiences out to encourage others here, who like me, are on very limited budgets. There are all kinds of deals around, just talk to people. Good Luck, Rick

• DougT, TheFarm2004, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 09:39 AM

I have a nice green house frame I was considering building a shop with...Tarps dont last long down this way with the sun in the summer..The small greenhouse frame I have is 25x60 and the large ones I have are 35x100.course I could use half of either one and make it smaller.But like you said..when your on a budget you get creative...LOL

• boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 09:53 AM

I have a nice green house frame I was considering building a shop with...Tarps dont last long down this way with the sun in the summer..The small greenhouse frame I have is 25x60 and the large ones I have are 35x100.course I could use half of either one and make it smaller.But like you said..when your on a budget you get creative...LOL

20 years ago there was a tarp company out of Texas that sold all kinds of covers. Some of them claimed to last 10 years in the Texas sun. You might want to look around. Some of the guys up here use the black plastic covers used on horizontal silos. You can get large piecesof black poly for free in the spring because the farms only use them one winter. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 14, 2016 - 09:54 AM.

• HDWildBill, Auburn David, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 09:57 AM

How do they hold up to the winds, or do you get high winds. Just wondering. I have thought about those, some by laws here won't allow them in your yard.
Great idea thou.

Noel

Edited by propane1, April 14, 2016 - 10:00 AM.

• boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 10:16 AM

How do they hold up to the winds, or do you get high winds. Just wondering. I have thought about those, some by laws here won't allow them in your yard.
Great idea thou.

Noel

They hold up great in high winds..Frames are the old Acme frames made of spring steel...as old as they are(about 30+)they are rust free..the tarps on the other hand dont hold up well at all.Thick plastic last about a year here in the sun and heat.

• boyscout862, propane1 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 11:04 AM

I have a 10x20 I bought many moons ago at Costco. The tarp disintegrated after about 3 yrs. I bought another big tarp and played that game for another 3 yrs or so. I managed to get my hands on a ton of free metal siding/roofing. It has a round top so I just screwed sheet to it, worked great. I just moved it last fall to my new house, that a major pain, but I store most of my implements, LT's and scrap in there. never had any issues with wind, but it was always up next to a building too.

• boyscout862, propane1, Auburn David and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have a 10x20 I bought many moons ago at Costco. The tarp disintegrated after about 3 yrs. I bought another big tarp and played that game for another 3 yrs or so. I managed to get my hands on a ton of free metal siding/roofing. It has a round top so I just screwed sheet to it, worked great. I just moved it last fall to my new house, that a major pain, but I store most of my implements, LT's and scrap in there. never had any issues with wind, but it was always up next to a building too.

Mine all have the gable style roof like..I did have one that had the round roof but I traded it off for something years ago.I hope after we get settled into the hew house I can have a pad poured and build myself a shop..been collecting metal roofing to use on it as you did.

• TAHOE and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 12:54 PM

I haven't gotten to building  it yet,, But I have been collecting the 4-5 ft. pool sides.. they are usually made of aluminum or powder coated steel ..  They are usually free for the take down..  The pool liners and covers aren't bad for a cheap temp. tarp either.. They must be made of some sort of UV, plastic..   Just an idea...

• boyscout862, Auburn David and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 02:16 PM

I haven't gotten to building  it yet,, But I have been collecting the 4-5 ft. pool sides.. they are usually made of aluminum or powder coated steel ..  They are usually free for the take down..  The pool liners and covers aren't bad for a cheap temp. tarp either.. They must be made of some sort of UV, plastic..   Just an idea...

When the kids were little, we had one of the Intek pools with the blow up blue ring around the top. The ring ended up getting torn, I cut it up and used it as a tarp, still using it after 10 yrs.

• boyscout862, Auburn David and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:00 PM

Raising three teenage boys alone, I fully understand budgets and being creative. Save your nickels and watch Craigslist. Often times you can find T1-11 seconds or leftovers for a fourth the price of new. Same goes for metal roofing or even shingles if you're not picky about the color. And windows. A trip to the Restore store or flea market will set you up with hinges.
  • boyscout862, sodisr, Auburn David and 1 other said thanks

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:10 PM

Raising three teenage boys alone, I fully understand budgets and being creative. Save your nickels and watch Craigslist. Often times you can find T1-11 seconds or leftovers for a fourth the price of new. Same goes for metal roofing or even shingles if you're not picky about the color. And windows. A trip to the Restore store or flea market will set you up with hinges.

I buy tons of stuff from our local Restore..donate all I can as well..great bunch of folks!

• boyscout862, JBRamsey and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#12 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Got my wood 10x10 shed for free took me 4 hours to knock the walls and roof off and stack them on the floor and drag it up the road behind my old Gilson Hydro 16.It's very heavy with 4 4x4 pressure treated skids under the floor.

Wasn't much left of the roof and back wall and a 2" hole in the floor which wasn't hard to fix.I was working construction at the time and every time we had leftover materials I would drag home a couple 2x4s or 1/2 sheets of plywood.

I just got around to putting in the double doors on it Monday.It has a good solid 3/4' pardeck roof on it now but I found a Mobile home Factory 30 minutes up the road and bought a couple 12"x12 chunks of rubber roofing dirt cheap.I have 2 more hunks left after putting one on the shed roof.She's water tight.

Total investment $10 for the rubber roofing $5 gas to go get it and $10 in gas in the old tractor.And $15 for another driveshaft coupler.It split right at the keyway when I was moving the shed around in the yard.

Nails were even free.Boss dropped a box of rolled nails and said i could have them because they will jam the nailer up once the rolls get bent.Just have to break off a nail every time you need one which is a pain in the butt.lol

Here's my cool little shop.Still have to buid a tool organizer.(plywood with nails sticking out lol) above the work bench and attach my little vice but it's a good little work shop.

Ya I ran short on 2x4s by 4 1/2 inches so just patched up the one on the left door.

100_1618.JPG   100_1617.JPG

Man those old lawn mower tires stack up Quick don't they? lol  Haven't got around to clean that crap up yet.That's tomorrows project if it doesn't rain.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 14, 2016 - 08:37 PM.

• boyscout862, Auburn David and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:43 PM

I still have to patch the bottom of the walls so the darn Chipmunks don't get in the shed again and chew up any more belts.Caught one last year sitting on top of a bundle of belts just a chewing away.Little munsters get really mean when you swat at them with an old broom .Churp churp churp OH CRAP RUN!!!  :rolling: The darn thing charged at me,I jumped and it ran out and up the neighbors maple tree.

• boyscout862, Auburn David and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#14 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:08 AM

I still have to patch the bottom of the walls so the darn Chipmunks don't get in the shed again and chew up any more belts.Caught one last year sitting on top of a bundle of belts just a chewing away.Little munsters get really mean when you swat at them with an old broom .Churp churp churp OH CRAP RUN!!!  :rolling: The darn thing charged at me,I jumped and it ran out and up the neighbors maple tree.

Good looking shed, nicely saved :thumbs: and yes try to keep those feisty little buggers out, they can cause a lot of damage.

• Auburn David said thank you

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 10:49 AM

I have a 8x22 +/- box off an old Penske rental truck..It has the roll up door in the back and a swing open door in each side.I want to make a tool shed out of it for my tractors but who ever built it welded the trailer its on to the frame really ...really well..gonna take lots of grinding and cussing to get the two separated.I actually bought this from a guy that was going to take it for scrap..I traded him an old car for it that was left on my land when we bought it.