skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:53 AM

Man, what a chore to find a good company to handle rusty water...Well water in Massachusetts is hit or miss, if your on granite ledge you will have the best water ever, but anywhere else...it's usually full of iron, mine is the latter.. So the softener takes out the iron with a potassium type powder and uses very little of this stuff. Anyone else have yucky water? City water here in Gardner is so bad that you say you live in Gardner MA and they will void any storage warranties( superstore tanks,internal furnace coils ect.) Thank God I have well water, but that has iron and stains... So I am remedying the issue today!! Done with the stains!!
  • old coot said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 05:17 AM

Our water quality is fine , slightly on the hard side but not enough for softener but since being here 30 years we have to watch usage , plenty for normal use but running the dishwasher, wash machine showering and car washing at the same time is a no-no . About 300' away are neighbors who  fill their pools waste water like you wouldn't believe no problems

• old coot said thank you

#3 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 05:19 AM

i have well water also but live in western pa...no city water any where near me , i run a water softner too to help with rust and extreme mineral content...does a pretty good job but my water still has a slight sulfur smell. There is equipment to handle that but way out of my price line , so I deal with it , we use bottled water to drink and cook with other than that everything is with the well water

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 05:25 AM

Hope you are getting an iron filter installed......thats the proper way to deal with the iron. I have high iron too, have the iron filter, UV filter, water softener and RO filter for drinking water.......

Edited by poncho62, April 14, 2016 - 05:26 AM.

#5 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Where my parents used to live there was a lot of iron in the water. They had a whole house filter put in, which filters the water before going through any of the house. They also had a water softner installed. The filter, which was a hard cartridge type filter, was replaced on as needed basis. It took a large spanner wrench to remove the screw on housing when replacing the filter. That filter pretty well took care of the problem.     

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 06:48 AM

I've never lived in or owned a house with a well.  I've always avoided that one.

Our County water is decent.  Probably a little on the hard side, but not bad.  My grandparents 20 years ago went all out at their house and had this huge water filtration system installed.  I don't think anyone ever noticed a difference, since the water wasn't that bad.

• Alc said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 06:54 AM

We have same problem. If the iron is under 2ppm, a normal water softener will "usually" remove it. Anything over that, you need a filter with special media to remove the iron. I did some research last year, there are two types of iron issues one is just removing the particles, but then there is also "iron bacteria" that feed off the iron particles and leave that slimy feel on stuff. There are several different ways of managing it.  

My mom's old bathtub is ruined due to rust and her using harsh chemicals trying to clean it. We have even a worse situation, out TDS is over 1500 and water tastes like sea water it has so much calcium in it from the limestone they hit when putting in well many years ago. Plus we have limited supply, we can run it dry with 3 back to back showers.

Mom also found out, do not use any type of bleach, she was actually ruining my dad's white work shirt trying to bleach them, ended up turning all them a faded yellow.

I am not endorsing this company, but scroll down this page, they give some explanations on different types of filters.

http://www.budgetwat...m/iron-filters/

Edited by TAHOE, April 14, 2016 - 06:55 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 07:03 AM

For sulfer smell you could use a charcoal based filter,it will also make the water taste better too.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 07:08 AM

I have iron in my water giving the water a very strong iron taste and leaving everything stained and lots of sediment so I bought a Lowes softener and have a dual gradient 25-1 micron filter in front of the softener and a carbon filter after the softener and my water tastes excellent.Not sure how that is happening as my salt level has not moved since January.

• Alc said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 10:53 AM

I have iron in my water giving the water a very strong iron taste and leaving everything stained and lots of sediment so I bought a Lowes softener and have a dual gradient 25-1 micron filter in front of the softener and a carbon filter after the softener and my water tastes excellent.Not sure how that is happening as my salt level has not moved since January.

you may have to check to see if your softener has a certain regeneration span. Mine was set on every night, I was burning the salt up. I moved it to every 4th night and usage went way down but water still stayed soft. You may want to check for a salt bridge also, may look great on the top, but you have nothing under it.

Edited by TAHOE, April 14, 2016 - 10:53 AM.

• TheFarm2004 and Username have said thanks

#11 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 11:03 AM

had the same problem at one point but we had to replace are hot water heater

Edited by pick-to-stone, April 14, 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 05:24 AM

All done, now I have nice water!! Great to take a shower and actually get soap suds on you! And the water tastes much better too. Just a little info , if you have a reverse osmosis water system it needs to be plumbed with plastic, or it will take out your copper pipes. The water from these is 99% pure and will actually absorb the copper from the pipes rendering them brittle and green. This is why I only use an RO system for drinking water with its own supply line and faucet. All was included.. Total ..$4688.00

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160414_192309.jpg

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Did you need and extra pump for the RO system?

When I looked into it, my well pump would not keep enough pressure on the low end for the RO to work correctly, I was going to have to get a pump.

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:19 AM

you may have to check to see if your softener has a certain regeneration span. Mine was set on every night, I was burning the salt up. I moved it to every 4th night and usage went way down but water still stayed soft. You may want to check for a salt bridge also, may look great on the top, but you have nothing under it.

This one is supposed to automatically set the regeneration.There is no bridge.My water tastes great and it uses no salt so no complaints.

• TAHOE said thank you

#15 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:57 AM

My pump has gobs of pressure so it works AWSOME, mine is a deep well unit so it really puts out, runs a full yard irrigation as well.
  • TAHOE said thank you