• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chevy2racr OFFLINE  

Chevy2racr
  • Member No: 81648
  • 26 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Don't know why it was parked, what happened how it ran or anything. So one thing at a time, starter/gen works, guessing key switch is bad from some testing, but if like a full diagram cause I'm pretty sure it's gonna take some work. Help pleaseed3c4d24962d8851997a108214ed4caf.jpg
a47061238461ef56b4ef8790bba75db7.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Traill95 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 10:45 PM

1972 Montgomery Wards 15 Manual Lift, Vari-Speed  GIL 38144A  This manual has some good wiring diagrams in it.

Gilson/Wards used the same wiring up until they started using the Stator type alternator instead of the Starter Generator and then later they changed it around a little to incorporate the Electric PTO.Wiring didn't change much on them throughout the years.Only 3 different variants were used.

The wiring on a Gilson/Wards is a bit more complicated than most older GTs but once you figure out what wire goes where it's pretty simple.

Here ya go bud.

http://gardentractor...s-tractors-ipl/

Good looking tractor you got there btw.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 13, 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#3 Chevy2racr OFFLINE  

Chevy2racr
  • Member No: 81648
  • 26 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:51 PM

After looking at the diagram I'm assuming from the ignition switch c terminal turns on a "key on" light? And supply's power to headlights (which I don't have anyway) s terminal sends power to energize the starter solenoid, d goes to the magneto? So I assume this grounds with key off? And orange wire to the switch I assume provides the key switch power? Am I correct in this? The switch was junk I'll need to replace it, looks as though a lil switch was added, I've been able to crank it over by providing power to the starter/gen show showing any spark. First time working with a magneto instead of coil. Points look good visually haven't cleaned them or anything yet, working on this a little here and there when I get the chance. Thanks for the input guys

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk