23 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:33 PM

Today I took a hour trip to grab a Bolens 600 with reel mower. The tractor was an one owner machine until last fall when the guy I bought it from purchased it. He kept it all winter and decided it would just sit around and collect dust on his 160+ acre farm, so he offered it to me. When I got there I noticed a few things on the tractor that needed attention and I almost walked away from the deal because the owner wouldn't budge off his price. I then thought about finding another one that ran, had a complete reel mower with all the guards, and that I could get on and use when I got home and figured I better suck it up and pay the guy. I figured by the time I found another one, went driving all over to look at other 600's, I'd waste more than the $50 I was trying to save on this one. So I tested all gears, ran it at idle and several other throttle settings, mowed about 15ft, and drove it up onto the trailer. I stopped on the way home, topped it off with ethanol free 91 octane and a splash of Marvel mystery oil in the tank and drove home.  I got home went in and had lunch. I stared at it on the trailer thinking that I was glad I didn't leave it. I went out after lunch, lubed everything, greased everything, and put a fresh new battery in it and was ready to pull it off the trailer. I wanted to mow around my house and take my 1yr old for a ride on it. Well, for some reason it decided it no longer wanted to start. I struggled to get it fired up, it would run for a few seconds at idle and stall. The choke lever and cable were moving, but it didn't seem to help the situation no matter where I had it so I left it all the way down, or what I believe to be off.  Moving the throttle didn't help anything either, it would almost start at idle or 1/4 throttle, but no where else would it even stumble or try to start in the throttle settings.  I pulled the plug, it wasn't soaked, I had spark, I put the plug back in, turned it over on idle throttle setting and It finally started.  I slowly raised the idle to about 1/2 and drove it into the grass. I turned the reel mower on and set the throttle at 3/4's and put it in 1st gear. I mowed a few feet and it was gutless. I know its only 6hp, but I thought It perform better than that. In those few feet, it almost stalled so I hit the brake, the engine revved real high like maybe there is a governor or carb issue. I lowered the throttle an reset it at 3/4's, bumped it a little over 3/4's when I started moving,  and moved another few feet and it still had no power and died. I mowed about 10ft total and that was it. No matter what I did it wouldn't restart. It would turn over, fire up for 5-10 seconds and stall, that's about it. So I sadly pushed it into the garage. Now I'm thinking I should of walked away from the deal. Not sure what's up with it, and why it ran ok at the owners house for probably 25min. But now somethings up with it, and it's my problem to deal with. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point. I'd like to fix it before I get the "I told you so" speech from the wife. Oh yea, enjoy the pictures!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by fonz3482, April 13, 2016 - 04:43 PM.

• LPBolens, Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:43 PM

I wonder if you got some junk in the carb knocked loose hauling home and partially plugging the jet up.
  • fonz3482, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Looks like its in really good shape !

If it ran great and had power when you test drove it I would suspect a simple issue like carb blockage somewhere

Did you turn off the gas and let the carb run dry before you hauled it home? I always do that when I haul equipment back and fourth as I always encounter  bad results letting the full bowl of gas slosh all over the place on a road trip.

• fonz3482, Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:47 PM

That is one nice combo! I would love to have that reel mower!
  • fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#5 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:55 PM

My first guess is lack of fuel. Check the fuel tank shut off, is it clogged with rust? Next check if you can gravity bleed fuel to the carb. Finally, clean the carb.

It looks like you got a very nice machine there. Don't let the guys remorse hit you. It sounds like a minor issue and you will be enjoying some seat time before you know it.
  • fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Nice looking machine - I would not have walked away from that over $50.00 either.  As stated if it ran ok before something may have bounced around on the way home in the carb or another possibility might be that you got some bad fuel.  I would suggest before you get too far into it that you drain the tank and carb and try some different gas - just a thought.

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:01 PM

I'm not sure which owner removed the fuel shut off, but it now has a 90 elbow fitting at the bottom of the tank, straight to rubber hose which is hard as a rock, and the hose runs straight to the carb. I've never had good luck with cleaning or adjusting carbs. I can never seem to get them straightened out. In fact my 1000 ran beautiful when I bought it, it sat for a year and now the carb leaks an it won't start. I'm just not good with them, so i shy away from taking them apart. Also, I wouldn't say it ran perfect at the owners house, but I figured it needed new fuel, and needed to be run because it had been sitting.  The battery was dead so we fired it up, and it ran the whole time I was looking at it(25 min). It never stalled. When you went to rev it up to operate the mower, I did notice the rpm would continue to climb or increase after I set the throttle at 3/4. Maybe a governor issue??  Maybe thats why it seems weak also because the governor isn't operating properly?

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, AA Hayes and 1 other said thanks

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:35 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said, that it is likely a fuel issue. If you are not confident with taking apart the carb and cleaning it, at least try removing the fuel line at the carb and confirming that you have good fuel flow from the tank to the carb.  Sometimes an engine will rev up like that as it is running low on fuel and the mixture starts to "lean out". If it has been sitting a while and it has an air operated govenor, it might be an idea to take the tins off the engine and make sure there are no rodent nests in there affecting the operation and cooling. Great looking machine by the way!

Jim

• fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:35 PM

I first of all would suspect that there was water in the fuel you got today. You need to fix the system from the tank to the carb. A fuel shut off valve and a filter are musts. I prefer the glass sediment bowls because I can see what is in the fuel. Checking the glass bowl should be part of the daily maintenance along with checking the engine oil. Do not be afraid of rebuilding a carb. They are generally pretty simple. Find the best rebuilding instructions and go over them a few times. Then go through a carb. You can pick up junk carbs at you dump and play with them. Spray carb cleaner with a straw helps alot. Good Luck, Rick

#10 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:52 PM

I was thinking the fuel also. I did go to a higher volume station, but that doesn't make the fuel good. I did look inside the tank, and its not rusty. It does need the shut off, fuel filter and new fuel lines, but I just wanted to try it out today! :wallbanging:  Well I guess I'll have to tinker with it soon. I'll start with draining the new fuel, then go from there I guess.  At least I have a great Bolens parts supplier  within minutes from my house!! :dancingbanana: :rocker2: :smilewink: :D

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#11 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:54 PM

WOW !!!!!!! very nice find,the reel mower was a big bonus,way to go

• fonz3482 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 877 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 06:13 PM

I think you need to remove the fuel cap and try again.  Your symptoms are consistent with a plugged vent.

When the tank was less than full there was a big air space above the fuel.  As the fuel runs out the air expands to replace the volume so it can run quite awhile before it gets fuel starved.

On the way home you topped off the tank.  No big air space to expand so the pressure drops quickly and fuel quits flowing from the tank.

Edited by MiCarl, April 13, 2016 - 06:14 PM.

• fonz3482, boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#13 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 06:32 PM

I was thinking the fuel also. I did go to a higher volume station, but that doesn't make the fuel good. I did look inside the tank, and its not rusty. It does need the shut off, fuel filter and new fuel lines, but I just wanted to try it out today! :wallbanging:  Well I guess I'll have to tinker with it soon. I'll start with draining the new fuel, then go from there I guess.  At least I have a great Bolens parts supplier  within minutes from my house!! :dancingbanana: :rocker2: :smilewink: :D

Very lucky about being close to supplier. I wait for shipping and pay horrid exchange rates.
  • Bolens 1000 and fonz3482 have said thanks

#14 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Score!

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Nice 600 I'm sure its something simple with the fuel system tractors don't like being joggled around on the road . Take your time and the above advise, picking up an old carb is great advise to get you acclimated with working on them.
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and AA Hayes have said thanks