• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 868 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:28 AM

I carry a LED Mini MagLite on my belt, and use it all day long.  Recently I dropped one that landed hard and broke so had to replace it.

After a few weeks the new one started working intermittently.  Progressively got worse and I replaced it too.  Moved the fairly new batteries into the newest light and it was intermittent just like the one I was replacing.

Turns out it was something flaky with the batteries.  New batteries and they both work great.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:46 AM

I've found connection problems at both ends of the batteries. Usually just rubbing them on my jeans would clean them enough. Thanks for the heads up. Good Luck, Rick

• CRFarnsworth and propane1 have said thanks

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I too have had some issues of late with batteries, well within their date code but not so good, I spose it's like so many other things, just not to the standards of the past.

#4 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Rubbing the battery contacts and the device contacts with a pencil eraser will often restore connections.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 868 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 11:27 AM

I've had connection problems with button cells in small devices where I needed to clean with a pencil eraser.  Never before though in something with AA batteries and a great big spring pressing them in.  And it wasn't like a poor connection - it was all or nothing.....

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 12:57 PM

That reminds me that I have not been getting any emails lately about this powerful military flashlight that should not be sold to the public.

#7 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 02:00 PM

I have a mini mag that uses the AA batteries that I use pretty regularly. A couple of weeks ago it quit so I went to replace the batteries and they were stuck in there. I finally got them out but the new ones are too tight to go in. I even tried different brands I had on hand. One of the eveready had leaked and damaged the inside of it. I used a gun bore brush trying to clean it out, but no dice. I may try running a drill bit down it to clean it up. It does seem like the batteries don't hold up like they used to. In the meantime I will use one of those dollar led lights. 

#8 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 02:51 PM

I use a LED flashlight at work. Sounds like the batteries are just about dead. Symptoms: will not light, lights but goes out, shake and may relight, still bright but not as bright as normal.. When it starts to act up, just replace the batteries. Usually only get maybe 10 days out of them (~2 1/2+ hours a day) These lights, while very bright, produce a lot of heat and drain batteries.

My hardhat light acts different. It has two LED lights and takes 3, AAA batteries. It just gets dimmer and dimmer like an old style flash light. Gets maybe twice as many hours Vs. the flashlight per set of batteries; but it gets used twice as much. (as in much of the day) My job is to look in all the darkest corners of the plant. lol. I'm always replacing the batteries in one or the other.

I have never cleaned the contacts in mine; maybe I should.

#9 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 03:20 PM

As said try cleaning them and put a thin film of dielectric silicone on them 

I gave up on mag lights years ago--rubber switch buttons falling off - bad twist switch's - lens ruined from brake cleaner. Was given 2 stream light flash lights made for hazardous locations  never any problems------anybody looking for a box full of mag light billy clubs that don't light?     

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Worlds brightest flashlight

https://www.youtube....h?v=we4DU6CZKfU

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 04:34 PM

I spent many years with navy search an rescue working along side E.O.D. as well as with the Marines and have never run across a soldier using any hanky tech flashlight! We use good old fashion military issue mag lights designed specifically for us and never had a single issue besides piss poor quality batteries. I suppose you just use works best for you but I will take a old fashion lantern over any other light source, worked well for a hundred years and will work in another hundred.
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:56 AM

I use a mining cap lamp for flash lights anymore. They are expensive($345) but I have 3 of them for work and carry them in my truck charging all the time. Last 18 hours. Nice and bright. They fit right into the palm of your hand and I have a ball cap that it mounts to.

http://www.nltinc.co...ystems/polaris/

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 15, 2016 - 07:56 AM.