2 replies to this topic

#1 Royalwapiti OFFLINE  

Royalwapiti
  • Member No: 82271
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hi All,

I have had my JD 165 Hydro since 1991, it is a 1989 model.  Has the 12.5 hp FB460v  with BS005 marking.  It died last year when mowing and I parked it.  Trying to resurrect it now.   Since it sat in the shed all winter with lots of mice I stripped it down to look for chewed wires.  I didn't really think that would solve it because it was running then died suddenly.    The mice chewed a unch of wires a few years ago, I repaired the wires.     My symptoms are this,  turns over but no or very weak spark.   If I put an allen wrench in the spark plug cap it would spark.  But it will not spark with the spark plug in it.   

Hence dealer said sounded like the coil magneto or the Ignitor trigger.  The magneto was cheaper so I opted for that.  When I went to replace it I noticed the two wires running to the stator were chewed bare and likely grounding out.    This could have happened a few years ago and I missed them and they just now grounded out.

I tried to get the flywheel off so I could get better access to these two wires but I couldn't, I am at my mom's house 100 miles from home with limited tools.  I had to borrow the 1inch socket for the flywheel nut.   So I did my best and used liquid tape (liquid electrical tape) on the wires and am letting them sit overnight.   

My question is, would the two stator wires grounding out cause a no spark no run situation or would it only affect the charging?

This has me confused as I have the magneto coil that is non-returnable due to electrical part.  So I am wondering if I need to deep deeper for the no spark, such as look at the coil ignitor.   Anyway to test this ignitor?

I will likely get the ignitor online and wait to repair, it is much cheaper.

Any advice appreciated.

I actually have two of these tractors, one is at my house and one at my moms.  Mine sits in a shed with lots of mouse poison, no issues, my mom doesn't use it....

Thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Royal, Welcome to GTtalk !! One of the JD guys will chime in shortly to help you out. Good Luck..

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:16 PM

Have you tried a new spark plug?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no start, stator