• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HuffyFairlane OFFLINE  

HuffyFairlane
  • Member No: 81484
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Long story short I have a Tecumseh OH160 and I put a walbro LMH 1 on it. The carb has been cleaned, new parts and new main jet and needle. It will only run on full choke. As soon as I move the choke lever it will die? Please help my grass is growing. Also unknown it's not the engine it has been rebuilt and I also have another carb but it surges due to it also needing a main new brass tube but it does work and I have been using it for years.

#2 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like it's starving for gas. I would check and make sure the float is set properly. Also check to see if you have a plugged up fuel line or filter. It could also be a fuel pump.

#3 HuffyFairlane OFFLINE  

HuffyFairlane
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:59 PM

That's what I can't understand. If I out the other carb on it will run but just with the that surge problem that they are known for. I sent the carb out and it has the serviceable nozzle in it now. Everything is thought and I even blocked the carb to make sure the mounting flanges are nice and flat and new gaskets everywhere. So I know it's not the engine, I know it's not the fuel pump. I have plenty of fuel in the bowl, I can press the fuel bowl spring plunger and gas leaks out. What could be causing it???

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:02 PM

What emulsion tube is in the carb?

There are 2 types 1 is serviceable and 1 is not.Meaning that once you remove a non serviceable emulsion tube you can not reuse it unless you modify it.The little hole in the side of the Emulsion tube is drilled after it's installed.Once you take it out and put it back in the hole no longer lines up.

Serviceable emulsion tube will have a groove the whole way around.Non serviceable emulsion tube just has a small hole.

You can Modify a non serviceable emulsion tube by cutting a groove Slightly deeper than the threads and 1/2 way around and open up the hole a tiny bit by reaming it out with a barbed torch tip cleaner kit.

Opening the hole up a tiny bit helps with flow.

That might be what's wrong with Both carbs.Can you pull the emulsion tubes out and snap a pic of them?

The Idle circuit in your old carb is more than likely clogged up.They are really tricky to get 100% clean.You can spent 2+ hours working on cleaning 1 LME or LMH carb.Easiest way to clean one is to completely disassemble it and Boil it in soapy water for a good 20-30 minutes.Make sure you do this outside it makes a mess.

While it's still hot spray carb cleaner through every little hole to blow out anything that's left.

I can clean your old carb for ya if you pay shipping both ways.I'm down in Bedford Pa.

I know those carbs very well.I know where every hole goes and what they do and I know how to clean them and set them up to where they run better than new.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 12, 2016 - 08:18 PM.

• LPBolens, boyscout862, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#5 HuffyFairlane OFFLINE  

HuffyFairlane
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Well I actually sent the carb out to a gentleman who made me a new tube so I know that it is clean and new. I cannot work on it now due to having a 2 year old and my wife will kill me if I wake him up! Tomorrow night I have family member coming over to give me a second look at it. Sometimes walking away and a second set of eyes helps a lot! What my problem is that it was doing the same thing before I sent it out to get fixed. It would low idle around 1400rpm and high around 3400rpm ( I play it safe on older engines) but only only on full choke. If I moved the choke it would die or if I engaged the blades it would bog down?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Has to be blockage somewhere if not float or needle or emulsion tube.
I've had good luck with the following
Mix acetone in the gas and run for a while. Then wind it up halfway and clamp your hand over the intake, sealing it off. Just as its about to die, let it go. Do this two or three times or until the choke being on floods it out.

With the OH units, run them a little rich to keep the valve seats happy.

Good luck.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:14 PM

The HHs seem to be happier if they run a little rich to.I know they start alot easier year around if you open up the small hole in the side of the emulsion tube.

A lean running and surging Tecumseh won't last long before it overheats and puts the rod through the block.

#8 HuffyFairlane OFFLINE  

HuffyFairlane
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:40 PM

ok so back story on H16. Was told engine was "rebuilt", took head off And it's bored .10 over, every single part was measured and within factory specs, and put together back together after cleaning, polished, and torqued to spec. With other WHG carb (off my G-14). it will run fine with little or no choke or no choke and mower deck engaged all day but it does seem to run around 3000rpm. It did this on my G-14 so I know it's not the engine and that's it's clog in the main jet somewhere that cause it to surge.

i needed another carb because the one that came with the H16 had stripped fuel bowl nut. so I bought this carb off a fellow member along with some other parts. It was off an 1556 and it was very clean and minimal play in throttle shafts.

I put the LMH-1 carb on my engine and I can only get it to run on full choke. Any less and it will die out, it will idle around 1400rpm and then go up to 3300rpm no issues. If try to move the teactor or if I engage the deck it will big down significantly. So I sent the carb away to have inspected and main tube removed.!My needle that came with it wasn't the correct one so he made one and also made me a new serviceable main tube. When I put it on when I got it back it does same thing?

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Well, this one seems like a brain stumper. 

did you have Mark at carb rescue rebuild it? He is very good at it, but still could have missed something.

Sure sounds like something in the main jet is clogged, could have gotten a small piece of debris up in there somewhere. If you have plenty of gas to carb and in bowl, and tractor runs with a different carb, then there has to be a blockage in that carb.

I don't like to run my OH160 at too low of an idle, just doesn't sounds right and I only run at WOT when cutting the grass. As MH81 stated, I run mine a little rich too, it helps keep the head slightly cooler as they are known to drop valve seats