• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • Member No: 82265
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:11 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm at my whits end with this thing. Here's the story. I'm the neighborhood fix it guy and normally I can fix most things but this JD has me stumped. 111 non hydro John Deere that won't start. I have replaced the cylinoid,key switch and still nothing. Got a wiring diagram and studied it and checked everything and still nothing. Checked grounds and they all check out. After all of this you hit the key and nothing. If I arc the cylinoid it will turn over slowly but that's it. I have unhooked the purple wire on the cylinoid and went from + of battery to that post on nothing at all. If I am thinking correctly that should start it and bypass all the safety switches. Also as a further note I have power to the wire going to the mag while key is on, I'm thinking that is correct. What am I missing here?

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Cdmj80.  From your post I take it that the engine will not turn over.  Since it is not yours have you checked and turned the engine over manually to make sure if it free?  Next what is the voltage in the battery?  Once those two things are checked I would start reading voltage from the starter back and see where you are loosing it.  If you have 12 + volts at the starter then I would say you have a bad starter.  If not start checking to see where you do have volts.

Quite a while back I was working on a bike that would not turn over.  Checked everything but when I read voltage at the starter it was like 6 or 7 volt if that.  What I found was corrosion in side the main hot cable coming off the battery. 

I'm sure others will have ideas to share as well.

• ducky said thank you

#3 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:30 PM

Yes the engine will rotate and I'm at 12.01 at the battery and nothing after the cylinoid, so nothing to the starter.

#4 JD318420 ONLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 03:15 PM

So as I understand battery is 12.01 VDC OK

Following the heavy battery (RED - positive) cable to the solenoid is 0 VDC - correct?

Voltage to the coil side (usually a smaller wire) of the solenoid is ? VDC when key turned to start.

#5 pidjones ONLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I often find one or both battery cables corroded where they join the battery clamp. Also check the cleanliness of terminals and clamp.

#6 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 04:19 PM

If I follow the red cable to the solenoid there is no voltage drop. In the other side of it I get nothing even with the key in start position.

#7 JD318420 ONLINE  

JD318420
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Can you get a pic and post of the solenoid (3 or 4 wire hook up type). Can you hear (Clicking or humming noise) or feel the solenoid engage? If not then the coil is bad on the solenoid most likely or bad key switch. Also if the coil does make a noise and engages there should be 12 VDC on the other side of the solenoid (heavy cable to starter).

#8 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I will get a pic of it later. I've put a 3 post as well as a new 4 post on it with a ground wire and still nothing.

#9 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:47 PM

From what i read so far, you get no reaction from the ignition switch but if you hot wire the solenoid the engine turns over slowly.   Are you positive that you have the exact replacement ignition switch for your model?

The cables may be corroded enough to not allow adequate amperage to flow to the starter.

The starter may need to be replaced/rebuilt.

Is it an overhead valve engine?    The valve tolerances may need to be reset.    

Hope you get it figured out quickly.   Rick

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:38 PM

there should be safety switches

for starting in netrual

it could can be bad.

a bad pto switch can also cause your problem

#11 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:50 PM

No this isn't a overhead valve engine. Its a 80's b&s 11hp. With the battery cables only on the solenoid and no other wires hooked up I still get nothing. I unhooked the purple(starter wire) from it which in my mind should bypass all the safteys and run a hot jumper wire in its place I should at least get a click or a attempt to start in my opinion. I've tried 2 diffrent starters which I know are good and 2 diffrent solenoids.

#12 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the info so far. Turns out if was a ground issue but I am having another issue. With the key off I have 12v to the wire that goes to the Magnetron which will not allow it to start. If I unhook the wire it starts like a champ. I've tracked down the wiring diagram for it and discovered it goes thru the seat and PTO saftey switches and they both check out so what else could it be?

#13 JD318420 ONLINE  

JD318420
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:55 AM

The key switch sounds like the problem, are you sure that the one wire is suppose to go there? I don't have a diagram, so double check where that goes. It is either the wire in the wrong spot or the wrong switch. Double check with a local JD dealer with a good support/service/parts. They are usually able to help with knowledge, correct diagrams, parts.

#14 Cdmj80 OFFLINE  

Cdmj80
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Yes, there is one wire that goes to the mag that is the kill switch. If I unhook it it starts every time but hooked up I get no spark.

#15 greensyellow OFFLINE  

greensyellow
  • Member No: 83144
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 03:42 AM

CD, Did you get the JD 111 problem resolved? if not, post what year it is & I'll put up some wiring diagrams. KE