• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,738 Thanks
  • 2,718 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:10 AM

I have to remove three head bolts to add a gas tank bracket to my Briggs engine,  I don't want to snap any off in the head, would you run the engine first to get it heated up before trying to remove them ? Any other thoughts to lessen the chance, thanks Hank.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,578 Thanks
  • 38,973 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:44 AM

If it will run, I'd do it that way. I would loosen all bolts while at it, then retorque to specs to keep things right!

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,376 Thanks
  • 1,566 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Sometimes, depending on the engine, you can see the threads of the head bolts through the cooling fins. I spray them with penetrant and clean the threads with a small wire brush from a gun cleaning kit. A light tap on the head bolts can also help. Once the bolts are cracked loose,spray penetrant down the bolt shank. Work the bolt in and out if they become stubborn as you thread them out and use more penetrant. I've only had one head bolt ever snap on me, but it was on a real crusty block that sat out in the weather, and I wasn't being patient enough. I just drilled out the broken piece left in the block and retapped the hole. Good luck!
  • HANKG said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,218 Thanks
  • 7,448 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Remember after replacing the bolt and torquing; run the engine for awhile, then retorque.

• limebuzz and HANKG have said thanks

#5 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:26 AM

A small amount of never-sieze on the threads when reassembling will prevent future problems.  Be aware that any lubricant on the threads will result in higher bolt stretch for any given torque, so torque lubed bolts to the low side of spec to prevent snapping bolts.

• limebuzz, LilysDad and HANKG have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 366 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 01:00 PM

I have found that a small impact wrench set low will bump loose about any bolt.  Ones that if felt were about to break if I kept forcing them with a fixed wrench.

• HANKG said thank you

#7 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,381 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 05:58 PM

sometimes tightening the bolt a little then try to loosen a 1/4 turn and re-tighten and the bolt helps brake the bolt free a little.

sometime I have loosen a 1/4 turn then tighten a little and 1/4 turn and tighten and 1/4 turn then tighten, until the bolt come out.

• HANKG said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,738 Thanks
  • 2,718 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Thank you all for your input and help Hank.

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,852 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:21 PM

I have never had a problem, doing what you are wanting to do, remember all the 92000 series engines that had the throttle control held on by those top 3 bolts and the Tecumseh horiz engines that all have the gas tank held on by 3 head bolts... just take those 3 bolts out and leave the rst of it alone, no, you don't want to do this on a warm engine, you want it stone cold.  Exhaust bolts" Yeah those are a pain... but not the head bolts.

• limebuzz said thank you