• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • Member No: 82002
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Last year I struck some roots with my several month old D105 mower and ever since have had pulsating vibrations coming from the mowing deck area when engaging the mowing blades. I took it to a shop for diagnostics and they said it would need new spindle assemblies, pullies, blades and a belt. They wanted too much $$ for the work so I took the job upon myself.

Thus far I've replaced the spindle assemblies and blades to no avail... same vibrations occurring. I know that the belt will be an easy next step, but what about the pullies/idler wheels? Which ones should I focus on first? I don't want to replace everything if I don't have to.

I've read that a bent mower deck itself can cause this issue but that really doesn't appear to be the problem as I've had the deck off and have been able to inspect it closely. If it's bent it's not perceptible to the naked eye.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,905 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Use a straight edge to check the deck. You should be able to check the pulleys the same way.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:00 AM

:iagree:  Depending on how the under side of the deck is built, you may be able to use a straight edge to see if all the blade ends are on the same plane.  It could easily be an idler pulley on the belt also.  Can you run the deck at medium speed with the belt covers off and see if the idler is bouncing?  Could have a wide spot in the belt groove on one of the pulleys.  Good luck.

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,483 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Use a straight edge to check the deck. You should be able to check the pulleys the same way.

Yea I agree ( oh man, I think that's twice this year I've agreed with Cat :wallbanging: ) , if you replaced spindles and blades, the deck might be bent.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:41 AM

Wasn't it on the Ford decks they wanted you to check the pulleys with a straight edge and use washers between the deck and spindles to correct the problem ?

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:24 AM

A bent blade or a broken blade...even a cracked blade might cause a vibration.

#7 JD318420 ONLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Go through and recheck everything (the belts, the PTO, straight edge the blades and the deck, straight the pulleys and spindles, pull blades and check balance on them also.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:39 AM

Go through and recheck everything (the belts, the PTO, straight edge the blades and the deck, straight the pulleys and spindles, pull blades and check balance on them also.

Agreed.  Make sure you put everything back correctly as well.  Did you replace the spindles or rebuild them?

#9 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:16 AM

The spindles are now brand new, the blades are brand new as well. I have not replaced anything else yet. How do I use a straight edge to check the deck as suggested?

#10 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:17 AM

I do plan on purchasing a new belt ASAP because I've noticed that it seems far too loose and stretched out now.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Check the bearings on the spindles. I had to replace a spindle on my mower the other year due to broken mounting tabs. The NEW spindle had a bad bearing, so I ended up tearing apart a new assembly. I used the bearings out of the old spindle and it is still going.😉
  • Alc said thank you

#12 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 12:06 PM

yeah I could tear apart the spindles.... but that seems like a lot of work considering all that I had to do to get them installed.  And the vibration feels exactly the same as it did previous to the new spindles so I'm thinking that's not it.

I would like to know which place I should begin in terms of the idlers and pulleys... should I start by replacing the spindle pulleys first?  The one spindle pulley does seem to have some slight damage/stripping to it where it attaches to the spindle... maybe that's the source of the problem.

• shorty said thank you

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 01:21 PM

I could feel the rough bearing by spinning it by hand without the belt on. I agree it's a bit much to tear apart without it being suspect. If that pulley is loose, it could be part of it.