• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:00 PM

My Ford LGT145 started fine last fall before I put it away in the shed, but would not crank over when I tried it today for the first time. Turn the key and the starter gives the engine a short 'wrarr' and that's it, each time. My first thought was low battery but it is fully charged (also tried the battery from my other 145 which started that tractor fine). Switched starters from tractor number two - same result. I can rotate the engine easily using the mesh debris screen. PTO not engaged. Any thoughts?

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Bad engine to frame ground. Or bad wiring conection in battery cables. Solenoid or connections. Was going to say mouse nest in flywheel, but you say engine turns by hand. That happen to me in my LGT 165 once. Mice filled it all up and would not turn.

Noel
  • boyscout862 and Jagman have said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:02 PM

Battery good, starter good.........must be something in between. I would check all my connections on the big red wires from the battery to solenoid (under battery) and to starter. If they are all good, I would suspect the solenoid. 

Check your ground wires too

Edited by poncho62, April 11, 2016 - 05:02 PM.

• Jagman said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sure that I understand what is happening. Is the "wrarr" the starter turning but not engaging the flywheel? That could happen if there is a mouse nest blocking the bendix drive. I think that you need to look closely into the engine with the starter out. Otherwise your problem is probably a bad connection somewhere. Clean and check the bendix too. If you want to give up on it, just drop it off at my house. I still accept donations. Good Luck, Rick

• Jagman and propane1 have said thanks

#5 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'm not sure that I understand what is happening. Is the "wrarr" the starter turning but not engaging the flywheel? That could happen if there is a mouse nest blocking the bendix drive. I think that you need to look closely into the engine with the starter out. Otherwise your problem is probably a bad connection somewhere. Clean and check the bendix too. If you want to give up on it, just drop it off at my house. I still accept donations. Good Luck, Rick

The sound is the Bendix engaging but not being able to turn the flywheel, even though I can turn the engine easily by hand. This is sounding more like a grounding or solenoid problem as suggested by all. The only connections I have checked so far were at the battery when I swapped batteries between mower 1 and mower 2. I'll check all connections and can also swap solenoids to test that component. As I keep telling my wife, you can't have too many Fords in the yard. 

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:53 AM

The sound is the Bendix engaging but not being able to turn the flywheel, even though I can turn the engine easily by hand. This is sounding more like a grounding or solenoid problem as suggested by all. The only connections I have checked so far were at the battery when I swapped batteries between mower 1 and mower 2. I'll check all connections and can also swap solenoids to test that component. As I keep telling my wife, you can't have too many Fords in the yard. 

I just picked up a spare 50" deck on Saturday for my herd of open side LGTs. It is suprising how many are coming out of the wood work around here. The guy that I got it from had an LGT 125 with an original Johnson loader on it. Wasn't going to use it to mow anymore.  Good Luck, Rick

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 05:36 PM

That could be starter bushings bad!

#8 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 07:14 PM

OK, here's a new twist. I checked and cleaned ALL wire connections. It started and ran fine, but after sitting for a while, no start again just as before. Just for fun, I rotated the engine to another position by way of rotating the flywheel screen. Started right up. Does this suggest some kind of timing or point issue because it doesn't seem to be a grounding one?

#9 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Is the starter gears get stuck when engaged with flywheel. I had this happen once on my LGT100. What happened is that bolts for mounting the starter had loosened enough that it allowed the starter to shift enough to jam the gears. Loosened the bolts so that gear on the starter disengage then retightened the bolts making sure the starter was straight with the crankshaft.

Charlie

#10 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 04:47 AM

Bad solinoid or what FixItCharlie said. When I put starters on, I just put the bolts barely snug, then start engine, for a few seconds, with plug wire off. This lets the starter find its sweet spot, then I tighten the bolts. This may not make any difference, just something I do.

Noel