74 power king engine service question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:38 AM

I started another thread recently about throttle adjustments. Well that made a little progress until I rotated my governor pin (that may be wrong part name) counterclockwise. Well mine never stopped and now rotated freely with no endpoint. I am sure I broke the tab off the pin that causes it to stop and the governor to limit engine speed. Now while running the govenor does not function.

So I'll be taking it somewhere to have it serviced. As much as I would like to dig into this problem, lack of time and my inexperience lead me to having a professional repair it.

I am assuming the engine has to be torn down to complete this repair? This engine did not smoke originally. Is there anything else I should ask them to do while undertaking this repair?
Clean engine block rust, replace rusted bolts, replace rings, de carbon, replace gaskets, etc?
If it is going to be torn down I would like to have whatever may be needed in future done to it so it will be reliable.

Should any repair shop be able to do this? Should I look for a tractor or small engine/lawnmower shop? Any suggestions for one around me, I'm in North alabama and would drive a couple of hours to get to right place if needed.

Thanks for all your help and advice. It has been a fun learning all that I have and am so much happier with this tractor when compared to my zero turn. Awesome machine.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:21 AM

When asking a question it will help us to know more about the engine. What make and model? Pictures will clarify what you are talking about. You have to help us, so that we can help you.

Hopefully, you can find a small engine repair shop locally that is willing to take on your machine. Unfortunately, around here they charge the same hourly rate as auto repair shops. I've also come across dishonesty where the shop was trying to convince the owners of valuable clasic GTs that they were unrepairable. In the case of one that belonged to an old friend, I repaired his Ford for $8 in less than an hour. You need to check around. They had wanted to sell him a new GT.

You should start with the correct manual for the engine and carefully diagnose the problem. I would suspect that you may have turned the governor rod the wrong way and may be able to fix it without major disassembly. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 11, 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#3 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Rick, thanks for the reply. I have. 1614 power king. 14 h&p kohler. Here is a picture of the throttle assembly. As I went to rotate it I did it clockwise 10 or 15 degrees then counterclockwise and it never stopped. It will just keep spinning. I rotated the governer rod that is held in place by a vertical bolt. It is at the bottom of the L shapes governor assembly that attached to top of carburetor. I know not a great picture. I'm sending what I took pictures of already. I can post some better ones tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0409161147.jpg
  • 0409160759.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,490 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Sorry to hear this , hope it not too $$$  of a repair